The Student Room Group

Muslims who are fasting get a 5% boost to their marks at GCSE? Is this true

Hi,

Some students told me, as I am Muslim, that those Muslims who fast will get a 5% boost to their marks as extra to accommodate the fact they are fasting? Is this true?

Edit:

Please, before you call me ignorant or other stuff which makes me go WTF, I wasn't hoping to get a 5% increase, I was asking just to see if it's true. 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No this is not true.
Reply 2
Original post by The1AndOnly1
Hi,

Some students told me, as I am Muslim, that those Muslims who fast will get a 5% boost to their marks as extra to accommodate the fact they are fasting? Is this true?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I highly doubt it.
No, its actually 100% boost. As Allah is guiding them.
not true at all - it's not like the invigilators are recording who's got a water bottle and who's not. how would exam boards even know??
No, then anyone can say they're fasting and get a mark increase.
Reply 6
I'm pretty sure its false.

ALLAH'S POWER!!! (S,W,T)
Reply 8
Hi,

Posted from TSR Mobile

No that is not true as it would be unfair to people who are not Muslims you are fasting with your will not like someone is forcing you to so you can't ask for special treatment anyway.
I don' think edexcel,ocr,aqa and 21st centuary bloody care if we are fasting!
No it isn't, the examiner doesn't know who you are or your religion, he may not even see your name or candidate number. My English teacher back in y11 told me that the examiners basically just mark the same question over and over again done by different candidates on a computer. They have no clue who has done it and none of the teachers at your school who decide to become examiners will be allowed to mark your papers, they are banned from doing so.
To me it just sounds like a rumour some failing student (who happens to be a fasting Muslim) has decided to spread it so he/she can create some false hope for themselves because they didn't revise for their exams.
(edited 7 years ago)
Fasting is something they did by choice so no.
It is absolute rubbish.
No lol it's your choice. Also majority of exams are in the morning so your ability will hardly be impaired anyway.
No it's not true.
Reply 15
No it's not true I'm currently takin GCSEs and fasting and am not getting any 5% boost in mark

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope not
Thats unfair and would put everyone else at a disadvantage
What an ignaramous! How would the examiner know that a student is fasting and how would they know they are a Muslim. Just ludicrous some of the comments. Makes me wonder people that suggest such things what will they get in their exams.
Reply 18
Hi,

Posted from TSR Mobile

there's like no logic behind this, firstly how would the government/examiner know who was fasting, you could always lie and there'd be no way of them checking unless they did 24 hours surveillance on you lol, secondly you could break your fast after the exam so why would they get a 5% boost for not drinking water during the exam
ultimately its up to the person if they want to fast during exams, if they feel like they can do it good for them, if not good for them
Original post by Fartyfreak
What an ignaramous! How would the examiner know that a student is fasting and how would they know they are a Muslim. Just ludicrous some of the comments. Makes me wonder people that suggest such things what will they get in their exams.

??? most people are saying no, it's not true, and the ones who're saying things like 'Allah will guide them and grant them 100%' are just being funny/sarcastic etc.

also, before you call someone an ignoramus at least spell it correctly.

Latest