The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abstract_Prism
If you had extra time in your exams, (for those who don't already have it) do you genuinely think you would get significantly better grades?

I do, for example in English I always rush near the end which makes me write less in less quality so I think I would get better grades with extra time
Not fair. People milking it and get extra time for nothing. I have an autoimmune disorder that makes my fingers peel to a sore red mess. Do I get extra time? NO because honestly I would feel guilty about it. Its not fair as if you have trouble with slow processing then a levels aren't the right learning path as it is exams. Btecs etc exist for people who struggle with the demands of exam testing. IMO
Original post by Chmbiogeog
Not fair. People milking it and get extra time for nothing. I have an autoimmune disorder that makes my fingers peel to a sore red mess. Do I get extra time? NO because honestly I would feel guilty about it. Its not fair as if you have trouble with slow processing then a levels aren't the right learning path as it is exams. Btecs etc exist for people who struggle with the demands of exam testing. IMO

The thing is though any one can do what they like there is a duty to make sure that people can access what they want. Still with betcs you still get special allowances ect. Is not the testing that the issue its getting things down thats the issue. People may well understand the content but can not all ways put in to words. Even with betcs people have the same problem, hence special allowances.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by the IT MAN
The thing is though any one can do what they like there is a duty to make sure that people can access what they want. Still with betcs you still get special allowances ect. Is not the testing that the issue its getting things down thats the issue. People may well understand the content but can not all ways put in to words. Even with betcs people have the same problem, hence special allowances.

Yes but doesn't everyone experience this? I've run out of time before due to spending too much time re reading questions to understand what they are asking of me. Just my opinion. You need to work on the things you are weak at! Grammar?
Yes but doesn't everyone experience this? I've run out of time before due to spending too much time re reading questions to understand what they are asking of me. Just my opinion. You need to work on the things you are weak at! Grammar?

Just my opinion you mad?
Reply 365

I struggle with exams due to severe concentration issues due to my ADHD and also can get distracted so extra time helps to make up for that. I am also quite a slow writer as the process the information much slower than other people and without the extra time I have I can't even thing of passing GCSE's or getting into the A levels I want to. Extra time is only fair if you can justify it and really need it so it should be limited to disabilities or maybe sprained or broken arms and only if this is your writing arm. I have Autism and ADHD and extra time does help a person like me.
Yes it is 'fair'.

When writing an exam, the idea is that it should be a length that a student (who has revised) can complete it all in the time allowed.

Extra time is given to those who have additional obstacles which would prevent them from completing it in that time.
Original post by Tinka99
I struggle with exams due to severe concentration issues due to my ADHD and also can get distracted so extra time helps to make up for that. I am also quite a slow writer as the process the information much slower than other people and without the extra time I have I can't even thing of passing GCSE's or getting into the A levels I want to. Extra time is only fair if you can justify it and really need it so it should be limited to disabilities or maybe sprained or broken arms and only if this is your writing arm. I have Autism and ADHD and extra time does help a person like me.

People without ADHD can get distracted too.
People without "disabilities" can be slow writers :confused:.
But you understand it will never be a fair system limited to certain issues as there will always be people playing the system.
As with everything I suppose :argh:
Just my opinion you mad?

Not mad :colonhash: People have different opinions. Although it is hard to take someone's response seriously with lots of grammatical errors :tongue:.
Not mad :colonhash: People have different opinions. Although it is hard to take someone's response seriously with lots of grammatical errors :tongue:.

LOL glad Google took me seriously I work for them. Its had to take some one seriously who are picky and jealous.

But maybe they are capable of A Levels, just because they struggle with exams it doesn't mean that we shouldn't try and make that path of study accessible to everyone. We shouldn't make our education system so inconvenient that people are forced into certain paths when they could do equally as well in the others. Just because someone is dyslexic it doesn't mean that they should have to do BTEC, especially when some career paths rely on A Levels in order to get there.

It's your choice not to get extra time or ask for something like a laptop, but don't act like others shouldn't get help because of your opinion.
LOL glad Google took me seriously I work for them. Its had to take some one seriously who are picky and jealous.

Sounds like a great job but I'm not jealous, just stating my opinion as were you.
Reply 372
People without ADHD can get distracted too.
People without "disabilities" can be slow writers :confused:.
But you understand it will never be a fair system limited to certain issues as there will always be people playing the system.
As with everything I suppose :argh:

I agree with what you are saying and I never said people without ADHD cannot be distracted or that a person without a disability cannot be slow writers. If the system allowed everyone who was a slow writer or got distracted to have extra time many people would exploit the system and lie about it. A disability is evidence that you actually do get distracted or maybe are a slow writer but if you do not have a disability how can it be proved that you are 100% truthful? We would just have many more people use it to their advantage to boost their grades.
I have a friend who got diagnosed with dyslexia so got extra time in exams but as he once said himself 'having extra time doesn't help if you can't actually read the question.' Plus he always finished way before everyone else anyway and you would see him sitting there with the paper closed when we all had to get up and leave.

I had another friend who got diagnosed as a 'slow writer' which seemed to basically mean she could hand her coursework in 6 months after everyone else. I don't think it's particularly fair that slow writers get more time however my brother appears to be a slow writer so we're trying our hardest to get him extra time, just because it's available and he'd actually be the one at a disadvantage if he didn't get it.
Sounds like a great job but I'm not jealous, just stating my opinion as were you.

You need to release that we live in a world with people who have disabilities . To accommodate people we have to make adjustments. Whether its extra time for a dyslexic person etc or providing step free access and lifts for wheal chair users.
Original post by JennLousie
But maybe they are capable of A Levels, just because they struggle with exams it doesn't mean that we shouldn't try and make that path of study accessible to everyone. We shouldn't make our education system so inconvenient that people are forced into certain paths when they could do equally as well in the others. Just because someone is dyslexic it doesn't mean that they should have to do BTEC, especially when some career paths rely on A Levels in order to get there.

It's your choice not to get extra time or ask for something like a laptop, but don't act like others shouldn't get help because of your opinion.

If you can't sit the exam in the dedicated time you are not totally fulfilling the a level course imo.
Okay okay, perhaps slightly unreasonable but I definitely believe that uni's should be told when students get extra time. I am unsure if they are?
You need to release that we live in a world with people who have disabilities . To accommodate people we have to make adjustments. Whether its extra time for a dyslexic person etc or providing step free access and lifts for wheal chair users.

Where should I release to? What is a wheal chair?
Okay we have different opinions... move on.
If you can't sit the exam in the dedicated time you are not totally fulfilling the a level course imo.
Okay okay, perhaps slightly unreasonable but I definitely believe that uni's should be told when students get extra time. I am unsure if they are?

My uni was told they accepted me as they can not discriminate lol.
Where should I release to? What is a wheal chair?
Okay we have different opinions... move on.

Some ones jealous?
Reply 379
My uni was told they accepted me as they can not discriminate lol.

Which Uni do you go to?

Latest