The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No they dont
Reply 21
Original post by Namita Gurung
Fasting is something they did by choice so no.

Fasting is done by a choice yes, but for a Muslim it is an obligatory act after they reach puberty; However, the Muslim is allowed to decide whether he fasts on the day of the exam or not. If he chose not to he should make up the fast on another day. So to some extent you are correct :smile:
Original post by Stormz1
Fasting is done by a choice yes, but for a Muslim it is an obligatory act after they reach puberty;

Ultimately, it is your choice to be a Muslim.
No it is not true.
Original post by shahanne
??? most people are saying no, it's not true, and the ones who're saying things like 'Allah will guide them and grant them 100%' are just being funny/sarcastic etc.

also, before you call someone an ignoramus at least spell it correctly.

Thank you for the correction on my spelling. I was stating the person who suggested that Muslims get 5% boost is an ignoramus. Not the ones justifying or the ones making funny comments.
Omg if that was true I'd have boycotted the GCSEs
Original post by Pyongyang123
Muslims have too much special treatment imo. If I went and lived in an Islamic country I'd be discriminated against and forbidden from practising my religion, or killed in extreme situations. Seriously to all Muslims in Europe, be extremely grateful for what you have here.

You can't put that down to religion though. A lot of those countries have corrupt governments and are dictatorships who control the public for their own political reasons rather than religious reasons, most of the severe punishments such as execution are carried out on Muslims. Also I don't think being allowed to practice your own religion can be considered special treatment.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Boss_Rhythm
No, its actually 100% boost. As Allah is guiding them.

lol my parents tell me this everyday
Reply 28
Original post by Compost
Ultimately, it is your choice to be a Muslim.

Its not just Muslims who fast, Christians do, Jews do aswell as Hindus.

Yes being Muslim is not your choice but chances are, if your born into a muslim family, you'd probably stay Muslim the rest of your life- although you wont necessarily follow its teachings, in fact, you'd just be ignorant / arrogant and give Muslims a bad name since they cant follow Islam.

Ultimately its your choice to be a Muslims ( but some people are born into Muslim family and never really convert even if they dont believe in Islam), and before any idiot says you are forced to be Muslim look at the Qur'an surah 109.
Reply 29
Original post by shahanne
??? most people are saying no, it's not true, and the ones who're saying things like 'Allah will guide them and grant them 100%' are just being funny/sarcastic etc.

also, before you call someone an ignoramus at least spell it correctly.

Muslims have a master and servant relationship with god, but god is the master, so asking god to give you full marks isn't necessarily going to happens unless you do you own work and god accepts your prayer ( i presume this is how all religions are).

Its sad to see that Muslims in today's society believe that if they ask god for anything they would just give him/her it.

p.s, don't be a grammar Nazi, some people type really fast and may mess up their spelling.
Then why are Muslims who fast allowed to get paid whilst not working during Ramadan? The other employees have to pick up their workload whilst Muslims get paid for nothing, all because they forbid themselves from buying a cheese sandwich and a bottle of water. In Islamic countries Christians aren't even allowed to celebrate Christmas. You have to be kidding me

Listen, I don't disagree with what you're saying but you have to realise that some of these Muslim countries are still living in the past with ideals akin to those of the crusades, but there are various Muslim democratic countries where discrimination is nowhere near as much such as Pakistan, Turkey and Sudan and each of these countries have religious buildings available to most religions. This proves to me that its the system of the country that leads to severe discrimination and not always religion since there are other Muslim countries capable of collaborating with people of other faiths.
That would be the dumbest thing of 2016
Reply 32
No one has to be a Muslim. Violent religion

Please study it before making such remarks (study it from non bias sources.) Not saying Islam has no violence, because it does and i admit it, but violence is part of life so it should be spoken about in a book from 'God'.
Every Islamic country has severe human rights issues and they are all on the bottom of the list of equality. I don't think that's simply a coincidence. Just look at the 2,000 slaves that will die building the stadiums for the World Cup in Qatar.

Not every single one, many of the democratic Islamic countries are ranked much higher than others in the Human Rights Index and also World Freedom Reports. According to the Human Rights Index, most of Africa have a high or extreme risk in endanger to human rights; does that mean that all Africans do not believe in human rights? No it doesn't, really it's all down to a lack of civilization and a lack of exposure to democracy within these countries that causes unfair treatment and not solely religion.
Reply 34
Every Islamic country has severe human rights issues and they are all on the bottom of the list of equality. I don't think that's simply a coincidence. Just look at the 2,000 slaves that will die building the stadiums for the World Cup in Qatar.

Every country has corruption, why do you think there are/were so many conspiracy theories on 9/11 and now all of a sudden everyone forgot about it, and another question- where was Islamophobia before 9/11 and where was isis before countries began invading the middle east on the pretext of 'weapons of mass destruction' ?

Here's a nice quote 'Islam made Muslims great, Muslims did not make Islam great'
Reply 35
Islam has killed millions of people. How can you defend that?! There is not a single peaceful or liberal Islamic country on earth!

Islam has not killed millions of people, Muslims have killed millions of people, and on their behalf i apologise. Christians, Jews, KKK have killed people, Romans, Persians crusaders Germans and Americans have too. So on behalf of mankind i apologise sir.
Reply 36
Please name these so called democratic Muslim countries. There isn't a single one. I'm the head of RE at my school so I've studied ik am immensely and many people have come to the conclusion that it's the most dangerous, violent and discriminative religion on earth

Its a shame that the head of RE is bias and cannot provide an equal/fair representation of religions.
Would be unfair if they did. I'm Muslim and you don't need to fast during exams cause you need to concentrate :smile: but if you do that's cool.
Reply 38
However all these other groups you have mentioned have learned their lessons. What about Muslims? They're still the largest mass murderers to this day. Outlaw that religion

Your kidding right? There are murders happening all the time and the murdered are not all Muslim. America forces is still in Syria and Iraq, Britain wanted/wants to launch more air attacks on the middle east. The was a murder just 2 week ago were 2 guys randomly stabbed someone- they weren't Muslims (check rob dyke on you tube for that). I blame the media for not saying a 'christan man has stabbed so and so ' but then saying a 'muslims killed so and so'. This is just double standards.
That's an ignorant statement. No other religion has these extremist groups on such a high level. The KKK killed around 200 people in 20 years. ISIS have killed that many in a single day. Christianity has had it's issues, it nowhere near the scale of Islam and Christian countries today are very liberal to Muslims, even though we'd get persecuted in an Islamic country. On the other hand, Buddhism and Sikhism are completely peaceful. I think it's down to interpretations of the Koran general middle age attitudes of Muslims and their happiness to discriminate and persecute that make Islam such a dangerous and violent religion.

I don't think its fair to say its ignorant - and you're looking at very small time scales, rather than in the grand history of religion.

But I agree that at the moment Islamic culture and nation states have yet to catch up with regards to modernisation and human rights.

I think its notable that religion has been a great driving force for war in human history (mostly all, par to a large degree those you mentioned).

In what way would you say ISIS is linked to religion?
If anything, ISIS is our creation.

Christian countries for the most part aren't comparable - as they are extremely developed, and are slowly turning predominantly atheistic alongside increasing levels of education. Islamic countries on the other hand are for the most part, developing nations. Even still, there has still been extreme violence in less well developed Christian countries.

So with reference to your 'middle age' comment, I think you are right in that - just because their environment is 'middle aged'.

I agree with you that its down to interpretations; but such bending of interpretation often happens in other belief systems, which is why I think Christianity is at heart all the same. But I agree that Islam has failed to develop in the same way Christianity has; perhaps due to differences in education, wealth, etc.

But even still, Islamic culture is far too autocratic and limiting of personal freedom, but should change over time with increasing globalisation (I hope!).
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest