The Student Room Group

LMH Oxford: Ask us anything

Scroll to see replies

Hello! I am currently in Year12 and aiming to apply for Maths in Oxford.
What is the average AS grade for the applicants with conditional offer?
Do you want to see the grade for individual maths module such as 95% in C1, 95% in C2 and so on..
Original post by LMH OXFORD
Hey there, and welcome to the official Lady Margaret Hall (LMH) 'Ask us anything' thread.

I’m Marrium, the Outreach Officer at LMH (weird job title right? You can read more about it and me here). LMH is one of the 38 independent colleges of the University of Oxford, and it’s my job to encourage students to think about making an application.

So if you'd like to find out more about LMH (here's one way to do that) and what it might be like to study here, please do use this thread, or send me a pm and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Hi there,

I would like to ask, will an applicant be at a disadvantage when applying for PPE if they don't offer maths?

I'm planning to study English Literature, Economics, History and either Geography or Maths as well as he EPQ.

I prefer Geography as I find it to be more interesting, but if Maths will strengthen an application, then I will do maths.
Hi, i wanted to know can having all A/A* at Alevel and all C's at GCSE(with extaunauting Circumtrances) be a bad thing because i seriously believe that my GCSE will hold me back.
I am taking year 14 to do fast track A-Level as i could'nt do all Alevel in year 12/13 because of my GCSE. I did one Alevel and 2 BTEC(bad, i know)

Will that weaken my application?
Reply 23
Hi there,

I am considering applying to study law however I'm not sure what experience I should seek to gain to really make my personal statement stand out amongst the rest? Would any current law students at LMH be able to help? I have already been accepted on a scheme in London shadowing a lawyer for a week but have missed the deadlines for all of the residential programmes at Oxford by the looks of it. Thank you in advance!
Pretty good! We're one of the few colleges to guarantee accomodation in college for three years. You can live out if you want to, but most don't after seeing our rooms and gorgeous grounds (plus the convenience of having tasty, good value food and a really well-stocked library just minutes away from your desk isn't something to be underestimated...)

Rooms are assigned randomly to new students (though do say if you have any necessary requirements) whilst older year groups have the opportunity to choose their rooms based on a 'balloting' system (to decide the order the rooms get picked). In the First Year, you're quite likely to be in Deneke, a building put aside exclusively for Freshers and therefore a great way to get to know your year! A big portion of the rooms at LMH have ensuite bathrooms (including a small number of first year rooms); and shared bathroom facilities are always available - no horror stories about 20 people sharing one shower!

You'll also have at least one kitchen on every corridor at LMH alongside the dining hall which is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner Monday-Friday, as well as Saturday brunch and Sunday dinner. Veggie options are available and catering staff are always happy to cater to any other allergies or dietary requirements - for both regular meal times and formal hall (takes place once a week. Basically a chance to eat a delicious, three-course, waiter-served meal complete with candlebras and good company! You are entitled to two free formals in a year. Any extra visits for you or a guest are less than £10 a head)

Re: building work. We're hoping to have this ready in time for September :smile:

Thank you very much!! Do you have any pix of new building?
Original post by e-b
Hi LMH,
I was just wondering if you knew the lgbt percentage throughout the college. Only if you collect this kind of data.
Thanks

Hi there!

We don't have specific information available on this, but LMH has a thriving LGBTQ+ community, including an active and very welcoming society which coordinates social events and discussion groups, participation in university-wide LGBT events and acts as an information point for essential help services. LMH is a large college so our student body is always incredibly diverse and inclusive.

Hope this helps!

India
Current finalist
Original post by goofyygoober
Hello! I am currently in Year12 and aiming to apply for Maths in Oxford.
What is the average AS grade for the applicants with conditional offer?
Do you want to see the grade for individual maths module such as 95% in C1, 95% in C2 and so on..

Hi there,

You are welcome to put your module percentages on your UCAS form, but Oxford does not require them (this is how we differ from Cambridge's application process!). Tutors will consider a variety of factors including GCSE, AS and predicted A2 grades when viewing an application. The pool of applicants will typically contain a high proportion of students achieving A grades at AS level, but those with a slightly lower AS grade and a suitably high predicted A2 grade (for example) may still be invited to interview. No two applicants are ever the same, so it's quite hard to give an "average" for any given factor!

Hope this helps,
India
Current finalist & student ambassador
Original post by MalayHKG
Hi there,

I would like to ask, will an applicant be at a disadvantage when applying for PPE if they don't offer maths?

I'm planning to study English Literature, Economics, History and either Geography or Maths as well as he EPQ.

I prefer Geography as I find it to be more interesting, but if Maths will strengthen an application, then I will do maths.

Hi there,

Many of our PPE students at LMH do come to us with an A Level in Maths, but not all of them! So long as your A Level choices match the required subjects listed in the university prospectus (you can check this on the main university website) you will not be at a disadvantage when you make your application. Some of my peers who have studied PPE without Maths A-Level have mentioned that this made it slightly more difficult for them to access certain modules (eg Logic for Philosophy), but PPE offers such a broad spectrum of options this doesn't prevent them from achieving a good degree overall. All Oxford tutors will be looking for applicants who can communicate enthusiasm for the subjects they study at school and consider how these might be linked to the degree course they wish to study. If you feel you will enjoy Geography and/or receive a better grade in it than in Maths, then it won't count against you.

Hope this helps,

India
Original post by SohaibKhan
Hi, i wanted to know can having all A/A* at Alevel and all C's at GCSE(with extaunauting Circumtrances) be a bad thing because i seriously believe that my GCSE will hold me back.
I am taking year 14 to do fast track A-Level as i could'nt do all Alevel in year 12/13 because of my GCSE. I did one Alevel and 2 BTEC(bad, i know)

Will that weaken my application?

Hi there,

LMH receives applications from various backgrounds every year, and we appreciate that the best candidates may not, for various reasons, have the consistently high results which many assume are necessary for Oxford. In your case, it would probably be best to email our admissions office directly to discuss your individual circumstances: [email protected] . They're very friendly and helpful too!

India
Original post by personage
Thank you very much!! Do you have any pix of new building?

Heya!

Our new building is still very much in progress so it doesn't look quite as lovely as it will do in September... but you can follow the progress of the building project here:

http://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/Alumni/NewBuildings/timeline.aspx

You can also see what it will look like here:

http://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/Alumni/NewBuildings/Project-Overview.aspx

LMH isn't the typical medieval-looking Oxford college, but it's still an incredibly beautiful place to live and study - hopefully this will tempt you into paying us a visit on one of our upcoming open days! (have a look at our homepage, www.lmh.ox.ac.uk, just scroll down to the Open Day video for all the info)

India
Hello everyone! Thanks for all your questions - please keep them coming in.

Oxford is hosting their big annual open days very soon, with two dates in June and one in September. This would be a great opportunity to come and visit LMH, soak up the atmosphere and ask even more questions (we will have admissions and outreach staff, academic staff, and our lovely student ambassadors on hand all day)!

Have a look at the Open Days video on the LMH youtube channel - it tells you everything you need to know :-)

[video="youtube;IKYXrOB7DCY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKYXrOB7DCY[/video]

India
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello everyone! Thanks for all your questions - please keep them coming in.

Oxford is hosting their big annual open days very soon, with two dates in June and one in September. This would be a great opportunity to come and visit LMH, soak up the atmosphere and ask even more questions (we will have admissions and outreach staff, academic staff, and our lovely student ambassadors on hand all day)!

Have a look at the Open Days video on the LMH youtube channel - it tells you everything you need to know :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKYXrOB7DCY

India

I'm currently on a Gap year perhaps looking to apply for an unconditional offer. How is the application process different for someone like me, would I have to send in my A Level Certificates during application or once I've been offered a place? Thanks
Original post by Smhudson
Hi there,

I am considering applying to study law however I'm not sure what experience I should seek to gain to really make my personal statement stand out amongst the rest? Would any current law students at LMH be able to help? I have already been accepted on a scheme in London shadowing a lawyer for a week but have missed the deadlines for all of the residential programmes at Oxford by the looks of it. Thank you in advance!

Hello!

We're getting in touch with our team of Law student ambassadors to get you some specific advice on writing a Law personal statement. It sounds great that you've already secured a place on a shadowing scheme, which will provide you with lots to talk about in your PS, but broadly speaking, it's good to keep up to date with law-related stories in the news (High profile cases? Changes to legislation?) and find as many ways to engage with the subject as possible before you make your application. Could you visit any museums or attend public lectures (sometimes universities will offer, these, if you live close to one)? Remember that a personal statement is a very short piece of writing, so don't try to do absolutely everything (you won't have room to put it in!), and make sure whatever you do include are things which you find interesting and are prepared to discuss in depth.

We'll be back in touch when our Law students have given us their replies!

India
Original post by student1856
I'm currently on a Gap year perhaps looking to apply for an unconditional offer. How is the application process different for someone like me, would I have to send in my A Level Certificates during application or once I've been offered a place? Thanks

Hi there,

The only difference to the application process for you would be, if your application was successful, you would receive an unconditional rather than conditional offer. You would need to list the grades you achieved in your A Levels on your UCAS form and send copies of your certificates to LMH when requested (this would likely be after an offer was made, but the college would be sure to let you know). You would still need to submit written work and sit any necessary admissions tests (depending on which course you wish to apply for) and if invited to interview would be part of exactly the same process as candidates applying pre-A2. A gap year can be a great opportunity to explore your chosen subject more - maybe with some interesting work experience or further reading - and it's definitely worth mentioning anything like this on your personal statement.

Hope this is helpful!

India
Hey there, and welcome to the official Lady Margaret Hall (LMH) 'Ask us anything' thread.

I’m Marrium, the Outreach Officer at LMH (weird job title right? You can read more about it and me here). LMH is one of the 38 independent colleges of the University of Oxford, and it’s my job to encourage students to think about making an application.

So if you'd like to find out more about LMH (here's one way to do that) and what it might be like to study here, please do use this thread, or send me a pm and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Hi i think my question got missed so i'll just copy and paste it below:

I am in year 13 and considering a gap year and applying for Economics and Management.

Does LHM take on many students that apply after a year out of study for this course?

Does Oxford/LHM typically discriminate against students that have taken a year out to reapply, in favour of students in year 13 at the time of the application round?

Any other tips or information for people taking a year out to apply?

Thanks!
Original post by AmarPatel98
Hi i think my question got missed so i'll just copy and paste it below:

I am in year 13 and considering a gap year and applying for Economics and Management.

Does LHM take on many students that apply after a year out of study for this course?

Does Oxford/LHM typically discriminate against students that have taken a year out to reapply, in favour of students in year 13 at the time of the application round?

Any other tips or information for people taking a year out to apply?

Thanks!

Hi there, sorry for missing your question!

Students who apply during a gap year are not discriminated against at all - you are judged on the same factors as those who apply whilst still at school, the only significant difference being that you will already know what your final grades will be and as such can be given an unconditional rather than conditional offer. There are plenty of students across the university who have taken gap years!

Applying whilst you aren't at school full time does offer the advantage of having more time to read further into your subject or gain experiences (perhaps an internship/work experience in the financial sector for E&M?) which would add depth to your personal statement and all round understanding. That's not to say that Oxford will expect you to spend your entire gap year studying, but tutors do like to see/hear about how you have kept up your interest in the subject during that year off. Also don't forget to keep in contact with your school as they will still need to write your reference and offer you guidance throughout the UCAS process, as well as organising entry for any admissions tests you will need to take - for E&M this is the TSA test.

Hope this helps you with your decision!

India
Hi there, sorry for missing your question!

Students who apply during a gap year are not discriminated against at all - you are judged on the same factors as those who apply whilst still at school, the only significant difference being that you will already know what your final grades will be and as such can be given an unconditional rather than conditional offer. There are plenty of students across the university who have taken gap years!

Applying whilst you aren't at school full time does offer the advantage of having more time to read further into your subject or gain experiences (perhaps an internship/work experience in the financial sector for E&M?) which would add depth to your personal statement and all round understanding. That's not to say that Oxford will expect you to spend your entire gap year studying, but tutors do like to see/hear about how you have kept up your interest in the subject during that year off. Also don't forget to keep in contact with your school as they will still need to write your reference and offer you guidance throughout the UCAS process, as well as organising entry for any admissions tests you will need to take - for E&M this is the TSA test.

Hope this helps you with your decision!

India

Ah great .. thank you for your time! These threads are extremely helpful for students!

Do you have any statistics on how many gap year students LHS takes on for E&M?
Original post by AmarPatel98
Ah great .. thank you for your time! These threads are extremely helpful for students!

Do you have any statistics on how many gap year students LHS takes on for E&M?

Our admissions team don't really keep tabs on that kind of data, mainly because gap years are not used as deciding factors on whether or not an application is successful or not. LMH also takes around three E&M students per year, and such a small number wouldn't provide particularly useful statistics. Please be reassured that a gap year will not weaken your application - and for a general overview of E&M at LMH, this page should be helpful for you:

http://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/admissions/Undergraduate/Courses-offered/Course-list/Economics-and-Management.aspx

Glad you are finding this thread helpful! :-)

India
Hello,

Here is some feedback for you, I hope you find it helpful.

Read a quality national newspaper regularly, and the Economist is an excellent read for both Politics and Economics.

For Economics, we also recommend books such as Krugman's "End this Depression Now" and Levitt and Dubner's "Superfreakonomics".

For Philosophy, try Blackburn "Think" and Russell's "The Problems of Philosophy" .

All the best,
Jo

Thank you so much. I have indeed found it helpful.
Heya!

Our new building is still very much in progress so it doesn't look quite as lovely as it will do in September... but you can follow the progress of the building project here:

http://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/Alumni/NewBuildings/timeline.aspx

You can also see what it will look like here:

http://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/Alumni/NewBuildings/Project-Overview.aspx

LMH isn't the typical medieval-looking Oxford college, but it's still an incredibly beautiful place to live and study - hopefully this will tempt you into paying us a visit on one of our upcoming open days! (have a look at our homepage, www.lmh.ox.ac.uk, just scroll down to the Open Day video for all the info)

India

Thanks India! It looks like the new entrance and quad is going to look great. Gardens sound so pretty

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending