The Student Room Group

(AS) OCR Chemistry salters depth paper (10/6/16)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stm_
Same, because it said in brackets it should be broad that's why I got a C=H (c-h?) bond instead

What did you get as the compound ?
Original post by Joshua98
I got ethyl ethanoate as well

i didn't think esters were on the spec?
Original post by aliyah99
Yeahh I got that too! But I didn't name it though :/ oops,

as long as you drew or wrote the structure i reckon you'll be fine - i just named it so i could explain how i i used the data to explain what it was :smile:
Original post by aliyah99
Ohh noo I wasn't talking about the Hess's cycle, it was the enthalpy profile diagram.

the enthalpy was sneaky because it asked you about the formation of NO in the previous question and then asked you to draw the enthalpy profile diagram for NO2 so I'm guessing quite a lot of people will have drawn it the wrong way round
Original post by stm_
Same, because it said in brackets it should be broad that's why I got a C=H (c-h?) bond instead

i got a carboxylic O-H peak and a normal C-H peak and something else I cant remember. also got the empirical formula C2H4O
Original post by elisha.marsh
i got a carboxylic O-H peak and a normal C-H peak and something else I cant remember. also got the empirical formula C2H4O

The O-H peak was not broad and it states for a carbox acid it has to be broad
the enthalpy was sneaky because it asked you about the formation of NO in the previous question and then asked you to draw the enthalpy profile diagram for NO2 so I'm guessing quite a lot of people will have drawn it the wrong way round

Was your paper B salters or A ?
Reply 27

What? The compound wasn't a carboxylic acid or an ester, it's an aldehyde (ethanal) because the molecular ion peak had the mass of 43 and the Mr of the C2H4O is 44 and thus it's radical fragment is H which is -1. Plus the wavenumber was for an aldehyde, they tried to trick you because both aldehydes and esters were in the same wave number region
Original post by Jatman01
What? The compound wasn't a carboxylic acid or an ester, it's an aldehyde (ethanal) because the molecular ion peak had the mass of 43 and the Mr of the C2H4O is 44 and thus it's radical fragment is H which is -1. Plus the wavenumber was for an aldehyde, they tried to trick you because both aldehydes and esters were in the same wave number region

The Molecular ion was 88. Thus it cannot be ethanal. Seems you may have been tricked. I admit i thought it was an aldehyde at first. 43 was the base peak
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
The Molecular ion was 88. Thus it cannot be ethanal. Seems you may have been tricked. I admit i thought it was an aldehyde at first

But type the empirical formula in google, it's an aldehyde
But type the empirical formula in google, it's an aldehyde

Empirical formula is the simplest ratio of atoms. Double what you got to get 88 which the M+ ion
Was your paper B salters or A ?

ahhhhhh i see the error of my ways - it was A - very sorry for any confusion caused
ahhhhhh i see the error of my ways - it was A - very sorry for any confusion caused

Jesus christ haha
Jesus christ haha

aha its been a long week - please don't judge
Guys I havnt done the exam I just have it as a kick as it doesn't count towards anything can any of yous tell me what was on it, that would be great thanks!!
Sorry mock not kick
aha its been a long week - please don't judge

I understand :smile:
Reply 37
I understand :smile:

Wow! how many marks was that question
Has anyone of u got the unofficial mark scheme of breadth n depth in chemistry??
Wow! how many marks was that question

6 marks.

Quick Reply

Latest