The Student Room Group

2016 Official AQA New Spec AS Level Physics Paper 2 - 9th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

I got 1.91 x10 to something what did u lot get for Young modulus
Original post by Jakewww
What did people get for the Young's modulus ? Think it was 4 marks
Can someone please explain to me how they did the youngs modulus question?😓 I really ****ed up and got something like 1990?
Reply 642
Original post by Whatevenemily
Can someone please explain to me how they did the youngs modulus question?😓 I really ****ed up and got something like 1990?

Y.M = stress/ strain

Stress= F (weight of masses applied: (mass x 9.81)) / A (using your value for d from question before)

Strain= Extension (from a previous question) / Original length (given in the question).

Divide your Stress Value by your strain value.

I made a dumb mistake on the zero error for the diameter question before, but I hope they will only penalize me in that question and award me 4/4.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by aminxv
Y.M = stress/ strain

Stress= F (weight of masses applied: (mass x 9.81)) / A (using your value for d from question before)

Strain= Extension (from a previous question) / Original length (given in the question).

Divide your Stress Value by your strain value.

I made a dumb mistake on the zero error for the diameter question before, but I hope they will only penalize me in that question and award me

In trying to manage my time I completely forgot to times the mass by gravity to get the force:angry:. Did everything else right though.
In the end I guessed the last 5 MCQ
How many marks will I get ou of 4 for Youngs Modulus. 2/4?.
Original post by alhrona
Yeah but kWh is not a standard unit of power so i got 278 W

You just divide by the numbrr of hours in a year ti get kW which is standard?
Original post by metrize
You just divide by the numbrr of hours in a year ti get kW which is standard?

kW is not a standard unit aswell , the standard unit of power is W and any kW should be converted to W , and if you do that the answer is too low
Reply 646
Original post by alhrona
Yeah but kWh is not a standard unit of power so i got 278 W

kWh is not a unit of power at all, it is a unit of energy (equal to 3600000 or 3.6x10^6 Joules). It is on the syllabus since it is the unit of energy which is used when referring to energy used in the home (so your electricity bill says how many 'units' of energy you used, which is just the number of kWh).

Our teacher only went through it a couple of weeks ago because it was something that doesn't really fit in anywhere to the lessons but we just have to know and understand.
Original post by rs98
kWh is not a unit of power at all, it is a unit of energy (equal to 3600000 or 3.6x10^6 Joules). It is on the syllabus since it is the unit of energy which is used when referring to energy used in the home (so your electricity bill says how many 'units' of energy you used, which is just the number of kWh).

Our teacher only went through it a couple of weeks ago because it was something that doesn't really fit in anywhere to the lessons but we just have to know and understand.

so what is the answer for the question?
Reply 648
Original post by alhrona
so what is the answer for the question?

I got 114W because P=ΔE/Δt so it is energy transferred (1000kWh) divided by time taken (24 x 365 or 24 x 365.25 [for the average year])

P = 1000/(24*365) = 0.114155 or 0.114077 kW = 114W (3 sig fig)
Reply 649
There is no debate on this questions answer... the units were given in KW by the exam board themselves in the answer space... it was just dividing by hours in a year to get KW... end of story.
Original post by Al_YG
There is no debate on this questions answer... the units were given in KW by the exam board themselves in the answer space... it was just dividing by hours in a year to get KW... end of story.

ok , thanks , i will probably get a method mark out of 3 marks available
Reply 651
Original post by Al_YG

I thought that the units in the answer box were W not kW? That's really annoying if they were wanting it in kW because I definitely wrote 114W in my working and then put 114 on the answer line.
Reply 652
Anyone got an unofficial markscheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T17MA
Anyone got an unofficial markscheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm hoping someone will release one soon, haven't found any :frown:
hey friend!
Original post by james1221212
hey friend!

Please tell me you have the mark scheme LOOL
Original post by rs98
I thought that the units in the answer box were W not kW? That's really annoying if they were wanting it in kW because I definitely wrote 114W in my working and then put 114 on the answer line.

I am reasonably confident that the answer was supposed to be in W - It's what I put it as anyway! And also, I did the same calculation as kWh is not a standard unit of power, giving me 114W

https://www.youtube.com/user/Greenjellylegs
Original post by CheeseEmporium
I am reasonably confident that the answer was supposed to be in W - It's what I put it as anyway! And also, I did the same calculation as kWh is not a standard unit of power, giving me 114W

https://www.youtube.com/user/Greenjellylegs

how many marks will i get for getting 278W , i divided by 3600 because i accidentally missed out the year bit
Original post by alhrona
how many marks will i get for getting 278W , i divided by 3600 because i accidentally missed out the year bit

Was the question out of 3 marks? If so probably about 2 of them marks? Honestly that is just a guess though! I made some bad mistakes earlier on with the zero error and the very first question, along with some of the multiple choice Q's...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CheeseEmporium
Was the question out of 3 marks? If so probably about 2 of them marks? Honestly that is just a guess though!

yeah i think it was a 3 marker , and thanks for the help , i just want to get a B at least :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest