The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Business Studies Unit 1 & 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Speedbird129
The Boston Matrix is a product portfolio tool used to plan the development of products. It can be used to see where a businesses products are in the market and can help them to determine what to do with it (e.g increase advertising or add another product to the market etc). The market growth is the demand for a particular product or service so a typewriter for example would have a low market growth and nobody needs them and a high quality laptop has a high market growth because customers need them.

Share capital is just the money raised from selling shares in a business. This is not related to the Boston Matrix though. Just a long term source of finance!

You just need to learn how the Boston Matrix can benefit a business and how the Boston Matrix links to the product life cycle. E.g when to implement a new product, when the product is in the maturity or decline phase. This is a bit long but I hope it helps. Good luck with the exam. You got this! 👍

Thanks so much! I meant to write market share instead of share capital. Market share is how many sales a product gets right? I don't really get how it links to a rising star though - they have a high market growth and high market share- so that would mean they get a lot of sales and a high demand, and surely thats better than a cash cow who has high sales but little demand?
Original post by jayg123
Thanks so much! I meant to write market share instead of share capital. Market share is how many sales a product gets right? I don't really get how it links to a rising star though - they have a high market growth and high market share- so that would mean they get a lot of sales and a high demand, and surely thats better than a cash cow who has high sales but little demand?

Market share is a businesses portion of sales that fall within the entire market it operates in. This indicates the businesses size within its market. For example, if a soap producing company makes and sells 40 soaps and as a whole 100 soaps are made and sold, this company has a 40% market share.

A star is a very successful product but it requires heavy investment and cash flow may become a problem. Assuming it keeps its market share, stars will eventually become cash cows. Cash cows have little growth but are successful and established products which need little investment (they need a little managing to continue profits however!) So both stars and cash cows have their pros and cons so it just depends on the situation in hand.
Reply 22
Market share is a businesses portion of sales that fall within the entire market it operates in. This indicates the businesses size within its market. For example, if a soap producing company makes and sells 40 soaps and as a whole 100 soaps are made and sold, this company has a 40% market share.

A star is a very successful product but it requires heavy investment and cash flow may become a problem. Assuming it keeps its market share, stars will eventually become cash cows. Cash cows have little growth but are successful and established products which need little investment (they need a little managing to continue profits however!) So both stars and cash cows have their pros and cons so it just depends on the situation in hand.

Thanks!! Good luck on Friday I'm sure you'll do v well. Make sure you write about the context for every question though - my business teacher gave me 77 / 90 in the mock but I don't think he knew about how you had to write about context in every question and I only found out from the examiners report
Original post by sheeplover
I feel quite confident for these business exams, always get good grades without revising! Got a A* on coursework :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats really good, i got an A in my coursework. but we shouldnt speak to soon about the results of our gcse exams
Original post by jannine98
thats really good, i got an A in my coursework. but we shouldnt speak to soon about the results of our gcse exams

Thank you! I know, we shouldn't haha just in case something happens! :smile:
Please can someone explain the Boston matrix and cash cow and stuff because our teacher hasn't that taught us that!!
Original post by Dragon5555
Anyone feeling ready for unit 1? And unit 3? And how was your coursework?
i failed my coursework badly,e even though i don't know what i did wrong and i am not happy about the unit 3...
Reply 27
Did everyone find the unit 3 really easy today?

especially the 10 marker
It was great! I think i got minimum 80/90 on the exam. It was long and thankfully i finished just in time lol
The longer questions were fine surprisingly, it was more the questions on Organisational Structures and the question on export subsidy or something like that, which I struggled with.
Original post by HarryGCSE
The longer questions were fine surprisingly, it was more the questions on Organisational Structures and the question on export subsidy or something like that, which I struggled with.

What did people get for the break even and profit calculation questions?
Reply 31
What did people get for the break even and profit calculation questions?

i'm not sure, already forgotten, all i know it was £100,000 divided by £40 (£50 - £10), so it would be.... 2500 per year
Original post by 11mtho
i'm not sure, already forgotten, all i know it was £100,000 divided by £40 (£50 - £10), so it would be.... 2500 per year

How about the profit calculation below it?

That would of been some something like £56,000 as far as i can remember
Original post by usamaquraishi
That would of been some something like £56,000 as far as i can remember

I got that!
safe bruddah
Original post by Laurencacti
Please can someone explain the Boston matrix and cash cow and stuff because our teacher hasn't that taught us that!!

can i have your number?
(edited 7 years ago)

shut up blud you fatty
Reply 38
We haven't covered anything of unit 3 for tomorrow, has anyone got a unit spec sheet they could link?
Original post by Posat
We haven't covered anything of unit 3 for tomorrow, has anyone got a unit spec sheet they could link?

Go to page 32 for spec on Unit 3. If you need any help please ask!

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/Business/2009/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/GCSE_Business_Spec_2012.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending