The Student Room Group

Getting into College: Are Course Entry Requirements Negotiable? [KEDST]

Note: First post, sorry if I'm doing something wrong.

Yeah, Entry requirements. It's something I've been mulling over for a few days now. When a college says they want X grade to get into Y subject, do they mean it? Hear me out.

I have a friend who's going to Halesowen college come September, and he's taking CompSci/Phys/Math. Halesowen college officially wants a B to get into their Phys course. Says it about on their website, on their application process, etc. But he's been told by teachers at the school he'll be allowed in the course with a C grade, which is most likely what he's achieved.

It's got me thinking, because I'm being shipped off to King Eds to do the same subjects, but King Eds wants an A in math to do the course. And looking at the mark schemes that've come out, I've not got that - only a high B. I'm predicted and most likely will get straight As in Eng/His/Chem/Bio/Phys, and I was one of the first applicants to be interviewed. It would be a huge weight off my mind if I knew I could get into the Math course with a B.

So, do you guys have any stories of getting into a course with a grade lower than the school wants? If so, how did you go about it and how did you find the course? If anyone is actually from KEDST and could shed light onto this, that'd be perfect.

Again, first post, sorry if I'm posting this where it shouldn't. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Reply 1
I don't have any experience like this, but by the sounds of the college your applying to, it sounds like its has a high standards and probably the entry requirement is what they want, but then again, if you've done well in your other subjects, you may be fine, they'll see you as a bright individual.

At A level my maths teacher always said, when it comes to allowing people to do A Level, for him, they have to at least have a high B, otherwise they will struggle, so I wouldn't worry too much.

The point I would like to address is that you've been looking at mark schemes, don't do this, I did it for a maths paper and it just made me think that I had done terrible on it, turns out I did great, plus there are other factors effecting what grade you get, the grade boundaries change and if it was a hard exam, they're going to be a lot lower.
Reply 2
Thanks for the feedback! Although, I really don't see myself getting an A in this situation. The Edexcel papers are out of 100 each and the total boundaries for grades are out of 200. Looking at marks that I know I've gotten, I've gotten about 60 max on the first paper and maybe like 65 ish on the second one. The grade boundary for A is on average like 135, but it has been at 125 before. So, assuming I've got absolutely those grades and the boundary is low as ****, I think it's more likely I'll get the B in this situation. Ah well.
In any case, I appreciate the feedback.
Original post by mikeymk
I don't have any experience like this, but by the sounds of the college your applying to, it sounds like its has a high standards and probably the entry requirement is what they want, but then again, if you've done well in your other subjects, you may be fine, they'll see you as a bright individual.

At A level my maths teacher always said, when it comes to allowing people to do A Level, for him, they have to at least have a high B, otherwise they will struggle, so I wouldn't worry too much.

The point I would like to address is that you've been looking at mark schemes, don't do this, I did it for a maths paper and it just made me think that I had done terrible on it, turns out I did great, plus there are other factors effecting what grade you get, the grade boundaries change and if it was a hard exam, they're going to be a lot lower.

If a college wants me to get 7 A*-C with 3 A's in my chosen subjects(I can get that i believe) but it wants a B in Maths and English.Do u think they'll let me off if i got 5 A's but a C in maths(btw its Completely unreleated to my essay courses)

OFC i want a B ..but worst case scenario..man i wish i get a B lols
Original post by Dggj_19

Yeah, Entry requirements. It's something I've been mulling over for a few days now. When a college says they want X grade to get into Y subject, do they mean it? Hear me out.

I have a friend who's going to Halesowen college come September, and he's taking CompSci/Phys/Math. Halesowen college officially wants a B to get into their Phys course. Says it about on their website, on their application process, etc. But he's been told by teachers at the school he'll be allowed in the course with a C grade, which is most likely what he's achieved.

It's got me thinking, because I'm being shipped off to King Eds to do the same subjects, but King Eds wants an A in math to do the course. And looking at the mark schemes that've come out, I've not got that - only a high B. I'm predicted and most likely will get straight As in Eng/His/Chem/Bio/Phys, and I was one of the first applicants to be interviewed. It would be a huge weight off my mind if I knew I could get into the Math course with a B.

So, do you guys have any stories of getting into a course with a grade lower than the school wants? If so, how did you go about it and how did you find the course? If anyone is actually from KEDST and could shed light onto this, that'd be perfect.

Again, first post, sorry if I'm posting this where it shouldn't. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Kedst probs will i heard someone got in with all Cs two years ago so you should get in!!
Original post by Dggj_19

At the King Eds Parents evening thing yesterday, they did say that if you haven't got the grades you wanted/needed it doesn't necessarily mean you've lost your place at the college.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending