The Student Room Group

The Braces Society

Calling all people with braces, had this idea about a second ago and here I am. I've had my braces for a few months now and I'm doing good but I've had wires come out and spent bc annoying.

Share your stories and tips here. You're all welcome to :smile:

PS. I FELT LIKE WE NEEDED THIS THREAD BC WE SUFFER AND NOT ENOUGH KNOW THE PAIN WE GO THROUGH K.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I don't have braces currently, but I did have them for 1 1/2 years (approximately), so I thought I'd post!

Even though I didn't have braces for very long compared to others I know, I had quite a few different things added to them, including plastic 'power' chains, rotation wedges and wire coils (to push the teeth apart). They gave me terrible ulcers which took ages to heal, and I got cuts in my cheeks from where the wires weren't trimmed properly.

My best tip would be to tell your orthodontist straight away if something is uncomfortable/broken - don't wait until you're in real discomfort! For example, check your wires are trimmed properly before you leave after each wire change. Also have lots of painkillers ready for the first week or so after each tightening/other adjustment, and maybe also invest in a handheld food blender! My mum had one from when I was a baby, and it was really useful for mashing up food so that I could eat it without too much pain! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Leviathan1741
I don't have braces currently, but I did have them for 1 1/2 years (approximately), so I thought I'd post!

Even though I didn't have braces for very long compared to others I know, I had quite a few different things added to them, including plastic 'power' chains, rotation wedges and wire coils (to push the teeth apart). They gave me terrible ulcers which took ages to heal, and I got cuts in my cheeks from where the wires weren't trimmed properly.

My best tip would be to tell your orthodontist straight away if something is uncomfortable/broken - don't wait until you're in real discomfort! For example, check your wires are trimmed properly before you leave after each wire change. Also have lots of painkillers ready for the first week or so after each tightening/other adjustment, and maybe also invest in a handheld food blender! My mum had one from when I was a baby, and it was really useful for mashing up food so that I could eat it without too much pain! :smile:

These are some really helpful tips and I agree with mouth ulcers. Mine, legit took weeks to heal without dental wax, I know I have a high pain tolerance but Bonjela is key.
I had them when I was around 13
Reply 4
Original post by ODES_PDES
I had them when I was around 13

I had to wait 2 years for my first appointment :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mrs.Grey
I had to wait 2 years for my first appointment :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I went private that is why

Spoiler

Reply 6
Original post by ODES_PDES
I went private that is why

Spoiler

I just got referred there from my dentist like that was it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ive had mine for 4 yrs
i was supposd 2 have them for 2 yrs but the first dentist i had ugh, she was a pain, she was so rude and every week id probs have to come in bc a bracket or something fell off :/
she retired tho
and my teeth were still not straight, it seemed as though she rushed it ukno?
so i got my braces off for a yr (didnt even bother wearing retainers) and then we complained about her so then i had 2 wear them for another 2 yrs... but they are really straight now, theyre coming off on the 23rd of june 2016 :smile:

i cnt w8 tbh, ive been suffering since yr7 lol
Reply 8
Original post by mariam687
ive had mine for 4 yrs
i was supposd 2 have them for 2 yrs but the first dentist i had ugh, she was a pain, she was so rude and every week id probs have to come in bc a bracket or something fell off :/
she retired tho
and my teeth were still not straight, it seemed as though she rushed it ukno?
so i got my braces off for a yr (didnt even bother wearing retainers) and then we complained about her so then i had 2 wear them for another 2 yrs... but they are really straight now, theyre coming off on the 23rd of june 2016 :smile:

i cnt w8 tbh, ive been suffering since yr7 lol

Damn, I would've caused chaos and ended up smacking the women senseless tbh, wasting my precious time. However, it's good they're coming off soon though, you'll have amazing teeth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Damn, I would've caused chaos and ended up smacking the women senseless tbh, wasting my precious time. However, it's good they're coming off soon though, you'll have amazing teeth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

im surprised i was so patient about it
but i guess it was really worth it :smile:
Had them for 2 years , took them off when i was in AS! Then put them back 6 months ago :biggrin: Still have them on now :smile:
Reply 11
Calling all people with braces, had this idea about a second ago and here I am. I've had my braces for a few months now and I'm doing good but I've had wires come out and spent bc annoying.

PS. I FELT LIKE WE NEEDED THIS THREAD BC WE SUFFER AND NOT ENOUGH KNOW THE PAIN WE GO THROUGH K.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are definitely right, we deserve a thread! :smile:
Got my braces back in January, while at uni and get them out in March/ April next year?
What about you?

I'm going to America this month and can't even try Red Vines or a New York bagel :frown:
Nice question came up in the AQA Additional Science 1st paper today about Nitinol brace wires if it helps.
I had braces for 1 1/2 years and my teeth look much better now and i don't feel as insecure as I was before. :h:I remember my orthodonty person used to be like no hard food, sweets, chocolate and fizzy drinks as it can leave stains but it never did :tongue: I always used to break them so the only tip i have is don't eat food that is hard to bit like certain meat or apples.:smile:
Do you wear the retainers they give you after the braces or not?
I've never had braces, but I'm just curious :afraid:
Reply 15
Original post by aamirac
Do you wear the retainers they give you after the braces or not?
I've never had braces, but I'm just curious :afraid:

You do otherwise the teeth will move back to their original form

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by mikeymk
You are definitely right, we deserve a thread! :smile:
Got my braces back in January, while at uni and get them out in March/ April next year?
What about you?

I'm going to America this month and can't even try Red Vines or a New York bagel :frown:

Thank you for agreeing with me! I got my braces on 18th Feb and I'm supposed to get them out next Summer but I feel like they may be out faster than that tbh.

AND THAT IS SO SAD MAN, I would recommend cutting the bagel up into little pieces and then eating eat but make sure you have a sharp nice and red vines...:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by mariam687
im surprised i was so patient about it
but i guess it was really worth it :smile:

Ofc it's worth it, straight white teeth are always number one man

Posted from TSR Mobile
i've had mine for 2 and a half years, they were meant to come off a year and a half ago but on THREE occasions the gap between my appointments were so long that my teeth moved too much

the moral of the story kids is to go private, not at a crappy university dental hospital, i'm under 16 though so my parents wanted it free even though we could have afforded private and they'd have been off a year ago :frown:
Reply 19

Posted from TSR Mobile

How much per month do you guys normally pay for braces?

Quick Reply

Latest