The Student Room Group

cartilage piercing HELP

so just under a week ago I got a new cartilage piercing on my ear. Its been fine with a little pain if I touch it. I could even sleep on it the day I got it done. But today it was raining so I put my hood on and when I took it off it snagged (is that even a word?) on the piercing and started to hurt. A few hours later its been hurting (more than usual) ever since, is this normal what should I do?

NOTE: ive been applying saline solution once every few days to the area since I got it done (maybe I should do it more often?). Also, I have touched it a few times and turned the back.

Scroll to see replies

Yes it's normal

I have three cartilage piercings and each healed differently :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Go to the doctor to be on the safe side and he/she will examine it and tell you if anything needs to be taken further. Coming on here for advice isn't probably going to do you much good to be honest.
Original post by kiiten
so just under a week ago I got a new cartilage piercing on my ear. Its been fine with a little pain if I touch it. I could even sleep on it the day I got it done. But today it was raining so I put my hood on and when I took it off it snagged (is that even a word?) on the piercing and started to hurt. A few hours later its been hurting (more than usual) ever since, is this normal what should I do?

NOTE: ive been applying saline solution once every few days to the area since I got it done (maybe I should do it more often?). Also, I have touched it a few times and turned the back.

I cleaned mine out 1-2 times a day with a cotton bud dipped in saline solution and a drop of tea tree oil for months after I got mine done so you should do it more often or it'll get infected.
Reply 4
Original post by Gaya Ramanathan
I cleaned mine out 1-2 times a day with a cotton bud dipped in saline solution and a drop of tea tree oil for months after I got mine done so you should do it more often or it'll get infected.

Thanks :smile: in the short-term is there anything that I can do to reduce the swelling/pain (if it is infected) - this goes out to anyone btw
Original post by kiiten
Thanks :smile: in the short-term is there anything that I can do to reduce the swelling/pain (if it is infected) - this goes out to anyone btw

Ice cube in a cloth near the area:smile:
Reply 6
Ice cube in a cloth near the area:smile:

I thought an ice cube would help too!! But on the internet it says add a warm cloth and apply pressure to increase blood flow??
Reply 7
Original post by Bigbosshead
Go to the doctor to be on the safe side and he/she will examine it and tell you if anything needs to be taken further. Coming on here for advice isn't probably going to do you much good to be honest.

Yeah i know just looking for advice from anyone who has had a similar experience. Im going to wait for a few days first because this is the first day its happened. It might just be irritated from when i got it caught. If it doesnt 'heal' after a few days then i will take further action

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kiiten
Im going to wait for a few days first because this is the first day its happened. It might just be irritated from when i got it caught. If it doesnt 'heal' after a few days then i will take further action

Posted from TSR Mobile

It really is totally normal...
Reply 9
Original post by A-LJLB
Yes it's normal

I have three cartilage piercings and each healed differently :smile:

:smile: thank you!! Thats a relief - i really dont want to take it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiiten
I thought an ice cube would help too!! But on the internet it says add a warm cloth and apply pressure to increase blood flow??

You could but warm and damp would create a perfect environment for infection I think.
Original post by kiiten
:smile: thank you!! Thats a relief - i really dont want to take it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had three done at the same time, two on my right ear and one on my left! Not being able to sleep on either side was...an experience :P

I snagged one of my piercings and the pain was awful, but it does get better. Just continue cleaning it and if even if for nothing else ice helps numb the pain :smile:
Reply 12
You could but warm and damp would create a perfect environment for infection I think.

Yeah - mine is just swollen at the moment. I already put saline solution on a few hours ago. Is that a big enough interval to put it on again? Im thinking to use a cool cloth instead (put it in the fridge/freezer).

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's normal, try not to take it out without advice from your piercer or GP as the outer layers of the skin will heal over potentially leaving infection inside. Considering that it's been less than a week, swelling, pain, redness and inflammation are normal, especially if you've knocked it. If you want advice/reassurance your piercer is probably more knowledgeable than your GP, piercing-wise and they will be happy to see you again.

Saline soaks are a good idea, but try not to touch it or turn the back as often, as that's a sure fire way to get any bacteria from your hands inside your ear and turning too much will just break all of the healing tissue. Damp facecloth in the freezer will cool and soothe it. Wound wash sprays are also a good way of cleaning it as it's a no-touch method.
Original post by kiiten
Yeah - mine is just swollen at the moment. I already put saline solution on a few hours ago. Is that a big enough interval to put it on again? Im thinking to use a cool cloth instead (put it in the fridge/freezer).

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can't overdo the saline. It may irritate to apply but it'll never cause more harm as it's antiseptic.
Reply 15
Original post by Charlotte49
It's normal, try not to take it out without advice from your piercer or GP as the outer layers of the skin will heal over potentially leaving infection inside. Considering that it's been less than a week, swelling, pain, redness and inflammation are normal, especially if you've knocked it. If you want advice/reassurance your piercer is probably more knowledgeable than your GP, piercing-wise and they will be happy to see you again.

Saline soaks are a good idea, but try not to touch it or turn the back as often, as that's a sure fire way to get any bacteria from your hands inside your ear and turning too much will just break all of the healing tissue. Damp facecloth in the freezer will cool and soothe it. Wound wash sprays are also a good way of cleaning it as it's a no-touch method.

Thank you!!! :smile: :smile: my piercer suggested lavendar oil? Ahh that must be why my other piercings get infected at random times (because i keep touching them/turning the back).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Thanks for the advice everyone - i appreciate it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiiten
Thank you!!! :smile: :smile: my piercer suggested lavendar oil?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Certainly wouldn't recommend it from a medical viewpoint, use of undiluted essential oils on the skin is dangerous (and risky to get dilution correct) and doesn't allow for moisture to escape so would use with caution. Although they may have anecdotal evidence for it, I've certainly not heard of any proper evidence for use of lavender in any form for wound healing (and have worked in that area for over a year). I'd recommend sticking to saline soaks or proper wound care products such as wound washes to clear away crusty bits and would personally be wary of putting any oils near a wound.
Reply 18
Original post by Charlotte49
Certainly wouldn't recommend it from a medical viewpoint, use of undiluted essential oils on the skin is dangerous (and risky to get dilution correct) and doesn't allow for moisture to escape so would use with caution. Although they may have anecdotal evidence for it, I've certainly not heard of any proper evidence for use of lavender in any form for wound healing (and have worked in that area for over a year). I'd recommend sticking to saline soaks or proper wound care products such as wound washes to clear away crusty bits and would personally be wary of putting any oils near a wound.

It did seem a bit odd. I mean i got it done at a chemist and the woman cleaned the area and wore gloves when she pierced my ear. But when i think about it she couldnt pierce it properly and had to put the back in herself because the gun didnt pierce it properly.

EDIT: Do you think its ok to wash my hair tomorrow (will the shampoo irritate it?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by kiiten

I don't know why but saline solution didn't help with my cartilage piercings either or my other ones tbh... I found that aloe vera gel helped quite a bit with the swelling and i didn't get any bumps near the piercing itself. i waited a couple of weeks and did take it out because i just wanted to clean the area... I used aloe vera over both sides of the piercing as well as the actual earring i was using. I never had any pain really obviously in the first couple of days it is a bit uncomfortable. If it continues to hurt you could always try an antiseptic cream or ointment i remember my friend did that i think hers was infected though but still

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest