The Student Room Group

Do medical schools rate the duke of Edinburgh award?

Is it worth doing bronze duke of Edinburgh? I'm in year 12 and I did the bronze award this year. I feel like it was a waste of time and money. Bronze dofe is really common and everyone seems to have done it. I don't see how it will make my application stand out.

For those of you who have done it, did you mention it in your personal statement/interview and were the med schools impressed by it? Also what did you say about it? Did it teach you leadership skills, teamwork...
I would put it because most people don't do it still and it still shows who you are. Most of your personal statement is about doing your course and a small amount about hobbies and non academic achievements and activities. When writing about any achievements or activities always give the skills they taught you.
Original post by doculmc7171
Is it worth doing bronze duke of Edinburgh? I'm in year 12 and I did the bronze award this year. I feel like it was a waste of time and money. Bronze dofe is really common and everyone seems to have done it. I don't see how it will make my application stand out.

For those of you who have done it, did you mention it in your personal statement/interview and were the med schools impressed by it? Also what did you say about it? Did it teach you leadership skills, teamwork...

Since you have already done it then its a good thing to add. However, as you've hinted at before its only worthwhile if you can say what it taught you/ what skills you enhanced and why they are relevant to medicine.

The med school wouldn't be impressed by it. They aren't impressed by anything just by stating the opportunity. Rather, its what you've gained from it and the ability to reflect which will impress them.

Additionally, if you've had similar opportunities which you have found more valuable then I'd prioritise those in your PS. You could mention DoE in your interview if its relevant to a particular question anyway.

Good luck!

Mel
WAMSoc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending