The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AhsanIqbal14
Wasn't the question assess the means by which Parliament controls the executive?

I think so.

No biggie though, because government = executive. I used the two terms interchangeably in my essay.
Original post by lulub47
I dunno how but I managed to decide that the executive and parliament are better guardians of civil liberties and rights than judges.. Why did it do that 😱

Don't worry, there is no 'right' conclusion. It would be fine as long as you justified it with something like the democratic mandate that they have, or how they've been good guardians of civil liberties in some cases where they've introduced legislation like the Freedom of Information Act.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I spent the first 5 minutes just choosing what questions to do. I started with the 40 mark Judiciary. I talked about their independence and neutrality, the Human Rights Act being a tool for them to use, and the poor track record of politicians in protecting civil liberties. On the other side I wrote about how judges are unelected and unaccountable, how they don't take account of public opinion, how Parliament is sovereign and the Human Rights Act is not entrenched and the decisions the judges come to do not bind the government or Parliament, and that judges cannot undertake pre-legislative review.

I did the Section A question on Parliament, but I wish I had done it on the PM instead. The 5 mark was all well and good, but I really quite struggled with the 10 mark on the effectiveness of the Commons committees. It was relating it to the Source that I found difficult. I talked about how the chairs are elected by their peers and so are independent, how some of the reports have resulted in changes and have been influential, like that one about phone hacking they talked about, and that the reports of the committees are not actually binding.

The 25 mark was really bad for me. I didn't really know where I was going, and the structure was a bit dodgy. I talked about the domination of Parliament by the governing party and the whips, resulting in the largely futile debates on legislation, the failings of questions to ministers, the lack of financial control, the weakness of the threat of a vote of no confidence, and how the Lords can only block legislation for one year, and that their amendments do not have to be accepted.

Thoughts?

Any idea on how I've done?
Anyone watch the Buzzfeed EU debates on Facebook today?

Posted from TSR Mobile
But the question was about constitutional reform not constitutional reformS. The use of the singular would suggest to me that it is asking about reforming the constitution not making reforms to elements of it. Therefore codified/uncodiefied works
Original post by Louise12307
Anyone watch the Buzzfeed EU debates on Facebook today?

Posted from TSR Mobile

no why whats happened?? i do not want the leave campaign to win
Original post by Anonymous789
no why whats happened?? i do not want the leave campaign to win

They're on the Buzzfeed UK Facebook page!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just watched the Victoria Derby-whoever EU debate on catch-up. Really proud of the arguments for Remain. They were strong and largely factual and logical. Disappointed however in the fact that they did a better job than the so-called lead representatives of the Remain campaign. Excluding Sturgeon, she was alright really.

Honestly Dodgy Dave does about a good job at debating as a wet blanket. Couldn't have anyone worse fighting our corner. I suppose Farage on the other side balances it out, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Louise12307
I just watched the Victoria Derby-whoever EU debate on catch-up. Really proud of the arguments for Remain. They were strong and largely factual and logical. Disappointed however in the fact that they did a better job than the so-called lead representatives of the Remain campaign. Excluding Sturgeon, she was alright really.

Honestly Dodgy Dave does about a good job at debating as a wet blanket. Couldn't have anyone worse fighting our corner. I suppose Farage on the other side balances it out, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nooo way, remain embarrassed themselves and got destroyed debate wise. Man I hate Angela eagle, wanted to run on that stage and drop kick her in the face
Original post by barnpap
But the question was about constitutional reform not constitutional reformS. The use of the singular would suggest to me that it is asking about reforming the constitution not making reforms to elements of it. Therefore codified/uncodiefied works

Yeah it does but further constitutional reform refers to proposed or already reformed aspects of the constitution and how furthering it may be more favourable so codification does come into it as it was proposed by Brown and Nick Clegg but were abandoned......... then you could say that the UNCODIFIED constitution of the UK is more favourable and it stood the test of time ..... meaning further constitution is irrelevant and unfavourable
Original post by SlimShady96
Nooo way, remain embarrassed themselves and got destroyed debate wise. Man I hate Angela eagle, wanted to run on that stage and drop kick her in the face

I'm talking about Victoria Derbyshire debate. It was members of the public debating + a couple of lowerscale MPs/MEPs. Angela Eagle wasn't even there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1611
Have an amazing structure with the wrong points = fail

Posted from TSR Mobile
As long as you have done at least a paragraph on each side of the arguement and a conclusion you should be fine.
Reply 1613
Original post by SlimShady96
As long as you have done at least a paragraph on each side of the arguement and a conclusion you should be fine.

1 paragraph each some and conclusion will get you 10 marks maximum, regardless how dense your points are. And to get those 10, it would have to be PERFECT! 25 mark, 2/3 each side. 40 mark, 4/6 each side with a LOT of depth and examples in every single paragraph

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thankfully grammar and spelling doesn't actually count for the exam so that's one bonus I guess (there are no marks for spelling and grammar in case anyone didn't realise)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mollyadtr
Thankfully grammar and spelling doesn't actually count for the exam so that's one bonus I guess (there are no marks for spelling and grammar in case anyone didn't realise)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You guys are still talking about the exam
Loool?
Original post by xxvine
You guys are still talking about the exam
Loool?

Not really just about what marks are for what

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is a thread to talk about the exam..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ringles
It is a thread to talk about the exam..
Posted from TSR Mobile

Precisely :h:
I think what vine was trying to say, or at least how I see it, is that you guys should relax now. Nothing you can do to change your exam, best thing is to try and forget about it rather than stress about marks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending