The Student Room Group

Attending McGill University, Canada

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Snufkin
They aren't extras, they're costs you have to pay which fall under the general tuition costs umbrella. For some reason you ignored the total cost. Your mistake, not mine. Please don't insult me, if you're going to contradict someone you should be ready for a counter argument.

Whether you can afford it isn't relevant. It was obvious you could or else you wouldn't have applied. I'm just questioning whether it is worth the money. Personally I don't think it is but of course you're free to decide that for yourself.

The accommodation website clearly states the costs and they're nothing like the ones you quoted.

4 x 10k = ???? :facepalm:

She's wrong (and you know she's wrong), and yet you agree? :s-smilie:

I didn't ask for you opinion on worth - I think it is and I'm the one going. Furthermore, I did not ignore total cost - I was speaking plainly about tuition. There are also additional costs I have to pay in the UK that I'm not factoring into the £9,000.

No, I know you're wrong and I agree with what they said because she was correct. The conversation was about tuition. You suddenly jump to the total costs because you obviously were incorrect. Now just leave it. I'm not interested in some petty discussion about fees - there's a grand in the difference and I can afford it, as such I don't care.
Reply 21
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
oooooooookay sorry i misunderstood:colondollar: but i still don't see how that is much different to the uk? you are still gonna pay like 30k over the whole thing and u get one less year

Most people from the UK matriculate to the 2nd year automatically anyway.
oooooooookay sorry i misunderstood:colondollar: but i still don't see how that is much different to the uk? you are still gonna pay like 30k over the whole thing

The difference is you have to pay upfront. Let's say you have 40k, why spend it on fees at a foreign university when you can get a tuition fee loan to study in the UK and put the 40k towards something else (like a flat)? That's what I'd do anyway.
Original post by ivybridge
Most people from the UK matriculate to the 2nd year automatically anyway.

ok so then isn't it still cheaper? thats now less than like 26k for the whole degree
Reply 24
Original post by Snufkin
The difference is you have to pay upfront. Let's say you have 40k, why spend it on fees at a foreign university when you can get a tuition fee loan to study in the UK and put the 40k towards something else (like a flat)? That's what I'd do anyway.

Well, that's not strictly true either - you can pay in instalments I believe or upfront. Eitherway, it's only an issue if you can't afford it and if you can't afford it, you're probably not applying so I still do not see why we're having this discussion.
Reply 25
ok so then isn't it still cheaper? thats now less than like 26k for the whole degree

It is cheaper, in my opinion. My choices here were going to cost me nearly £19,000 a year with tuition, accomodation and extras.
I'm not from the EU but I can tell you that McGill and Montreal are one of the best places to study in Canada, both for reputation and student life.

It gets pretty cold relative to the UK (depending on where you live) - but I'm sure you knew that and are prepared.

Its primarily French-speaking, but as soon as you cross into the university boundaries, the atmosphere shifts to English completely. And in the city itself most people are bilingual, so no real issues there either.

Never lived there, just visited a few times. But I know for sure its a really great place to live as a student.

I don't know if that helped, or if you wanted to know more specific things, but I thought I try!
Reply 27
Original post by BristolFresher15
I'm not from the EU but I can tell you that McGill and Montreal are one of the best places to study in Canada, both for reputation and student life.

It gets pretty cold relative to the UK (depending on where you live) - but I'm sure you knew that and are prepared.

Its primarily French-speaking, but as soon as you cross into the university boundaries, the atmosphere shifts to English completely. And in the city itself most people are bilingual, so no real issues there either.

Never lived there, just visited a few times. But I know for sure its a really great place to live as a student.

I don't know if that helped, or if you wanted to know more specific things, but I thought I try!

Thank you! :smile:
I didn't ask for you opinion on worth - I think it is and I'm the one going. Furthermore, I did not ignore total cost - I was speaking plainly about tuition. There are also additional costs I have to pay in the UK that I'm not factoring into the £9,000.

No, I know you're wrong and I agree with what they said because she was correct. The conversation was about tuition. You suddenly jump to the total costs because you obviously were incorrect. Now just leave it. I'm not interested in some petty discussion about fees - there's a grand in the difference and I can afford it, as such I don't care.

You posted a thread on a public forum, you can't dictate who replies or what they say. If you don't like that, don't post threads.

Those additional costs are included in the overall tuition cost, that is self-evident to anyone who reads the webpage in question. I think you do understand this but for some reason you don't like to admit when you're wrong, again that is your problem, not mine.

There are no UK additional costs, you pay the tuition fee and that's it - anything else is either optional (like societies) or comes under your living costs.
McGill is a fabulous university, many even akin it to be the 'Harvard of Canada'. You'll have a blast in Montréal, and will be surrounded by a nice mix of both Canadian and international students.

The uni enjoys a strong reputation within both the US and Europe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well yes, but it still doesn't. McGill estimates total living costs at $11,126 - $18,185 (6k-10k) so including tuition, other fees, accommodation etc all in all the whole degree will be 14k to 18k inc. all expenses which is quite a good deal. cheaper than going to uni in london. the only difference is in the uk you are eligible for loans but not in canada.

Sorry, just to clarify, total costs (Including tuition, living and general expenses) for one year at Mcgill will be $18,185?
Original post by MirzaIsmail
Sorry, just to clarify, total costs (Including tuition, living and general expenses) for one year at Mcgill will be $18,185?

No. Living costs don't include tuition
No. Living costs don't include tuition

How much would you say housing+general expenses (food) would cost?
Reply 33

How much would you say housing+general expenses (food) would cost?

Look on McGill's website. It literally lays it out.
Look on McGill's website. It literally lays it out.

okay, thank you.
I recently got accepted to McGill University in Canada and wondered if any UK or European students have anything to share about their experiences before I make my final decisions?

Hello just wondering is it enough to get in with the min a level grades required (as stated here) or do we need higher grades than that? (e.g. ABB but need AAA)
Reply 36
Original post by youknowwho3
Hello just wondering is it enough to get in with the min a level grades required (as stated here) or do we need higher grades than that? (e.g. ABB but need AAA)

The minimum is there for a reason - it's possible, just not very likely :smile:.

Good luck.
Reply 37
what were ur a level predicted grades??

I recently got accepted to McGill University in Canada and wondered if any UK or European students have anything to share about their experiences before I make my final decisions?
hey did u eventually go? if so i have some questions because i am also thinking of applying from the uk however i am canadian i just did grade 10-11 here i’m thinking of doing sixth form here too and then applying. Do you think you made a good decision on moving to canada and getting your degree or do you think the uk offers better education in terms of university. I’m planning on moving back to canada either way i just need to know wether canada is better for uni or the uk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending