The Student Room Group

ISIS to loose major strategic city in Syria?

The major Daesh strategic city of Manbij in Syria is set to fall to Kurdish forces. The city is now cut off and surrounded.

This could be the end for Daesh as the city is a major supply route to the rest of their IS caliphate. Raqqa their capital will be much weaker and a coalition of Kurds and regime could liberate Raqqa bring the end to Daesh :smile:

It also proves that the Kurds are the only effective opposition in Syria and that a future Syria could become a federation with both Kurds, Assad the key to peace.

I'd like to see Syria divided between Kurdistan and Regime forces, with equal power-sharing. So far the Kurds are the only success story in Syria and deserve autonomy and power.
You're last thread claimed that IS was winning. Why the change of heart?
Original post by JamesN88
You're last thread claimed that IS was winning. Why the change of heart?

Totally unexpected. The Kurds have made a lightening strike against IS. I like their moves too :smile: just last week they were set to storm Raqqa, meaning IS put all attention into defending Raqqa instead of Manbij, then suddenly they changed direction and made for Manbij. IS wasn't expecting that :biggrin:
Now with Manbij lost and Raqqa cut off from the outside world, it will be a lot easier to take Raqqa. Check mate!

However regime forces are not having a lot of success against Daesh even with Russian support :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ambitious1999
Totally unexpected. The Kurds have made a lightening strike against IS. I like their moves too :smile: just last week they were set to storm Raqqa, meaning IS put all attention into defending Raqqa instead of Manbij, then suddenly they changed direction and made for Manbij. IS wasn't expecting that :biggrin:
Now with Manbij lost and Raqqa cut off from the outside world, it will be a lot easier to take Raqqa. Check mate!

However regime forces are not having a lot of success against Daesh even with Russian support :frown:

The regime are having success as well precisely because of Russian support. They're both closing on Raqqa from separate directions.
Original post by JamesN88
The regime are having success as well precisely because of Russian support. They're both closing on Raqqa from separate directions.

I'm not denying the regime are having successes but not as much by comparison to the Kurds and SDF.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending