The Student Room Group

(AS) OCR Chemistry salters depth paper (10/6/16)

Scroll to see replies

For the TLC did anyone compare the crude product and the recrystallised one to the pure aspirin and their rf values. Then the crude product and recrystallised one to the 2 hydroxybenzoic acid ?
Original post by Joshua98
For the TLC did anyone compare the crude product and the recrystallised one to the pure aspirin and their rf values. Then the crude product and recrystallised one to the 2 hydroxybenzoic acid ?

Nope

What did u get the answer for Q1 last question O-H bond value?
Original post by Bijaybhattta
What did u get the answer for Q1 last question O-H bond value?

I put 404. However, you was supposed to times the whole thing by 2 which i didn't thus i am wrong
I put 404. However, you was supposed to times the whole thing by 2 which i didn't thus i am wrong

Do u knw the answer though?

Answer was 487
Original post by Dandie12
Answer was 487

Oh thanks...
How many marks would I have lost if I got the right fragments but put butanoic acid? And what did you get for the rate of reaction, 9x10^-4?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by chocolate_cat_99
How many marks would I have lost if I got the right fragments but put butanoic acid? And what did you get for the rate of reaction, 9x10^-4?

WHich did you do B salters or A ? I cannot remember there being a question on ROR
Original post by Joe Gunby
I'm really annoyed because I got the entire question right up to writing the name down, I worked the Mr out as 88 and I had the empirical formula... molecular formula was C4H8O2 but because it was a carboxylic acid I had a brain fart and also put it as C3H7COOH. Propanoic Acid :unimpressed:

This is a thread for B salters you know
Anyone remember getting 29.15 for an answer
WHich did you do B salters or A ? I cannot remember there being a question on ROR

A.
Original post by chocolate_cat_99
A.

Well this thread is for B
Well this thread is for B

Ohhh I was wondering what salters was hahaha. So the product for the last question for you guys was an ester but for Chemistry A it was a carboxylic acid? Does that mean I didn't get it wrong?
Original post by aliyah99
Ohhh I was wondering what salters was hahaha. So the product for the last question for you guys was an ester but for Chemistry A it was a carboxylic acid? Does that mean I didn't get it wrong?

i made the same mistake - yeh it was methylpropanoic acid :smile:
Wait a second... For the last question (Salters A) I put butanoic acid... Where on earth did it say it was branched because I even looked through the question again to see if it said it had to be branched.
Original post by Earl_Earl
Wait a second... For the last question (Salters A) I put butanoic acid... Where on earth did it say it was branched because I even looked through the question again to see if it said it had to be branched.

it said the highest peak on one of the diagrams was from a secondary carbo-cation fragment which means it must have been branched.
Does anyone have the unofficial mark scheme for chemistry b ocr salters in depth paper

Quick Reply

Latest