The Student Room Group

Are you a glass half empty or glass half full kind of person?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheOtherSide.
As in I always change my mind. I think I'd be a glass half empty kind of person right now, though.

Oh so your view is more situational i suppose.

Original post by ODES_PDES
Pessimist 100%

Spoiler

I have a similar view, i dont ever get let down as i dont expect too much to come out of bad times.
I'm the person who sits on the fence and says "it depends".

If the glass was empty, and had water poured in to the halfway mark, I'd say it was half full.

If the glass was full, and some was poured out, I'd say it was half empty.

(I can't make simple decisions - about anything).

I think I lean more to the empty side sometimes, although trying to move towards the other side...
(edited 7 years ago)
I used to definitely be a half empty person, but now I am becoming more of a half full person. I still have bad days though!
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
I'd say it's always full cuz guess what? It's half-full of water and half-full of air

Original post by nucdev
Glass is completely full (half with water, half with air) type of person :rofl:

Lots of wise guys/gals, tonight i see:P
Original post by claireestelle
Interesting, i always used to see the glass being half empty as a good way not to get disappointed in difficult situations, but you'd always hope for the best in difficult situations?

Yep, there's always hope :bigsmile:
Original post by Indeterminate
Yep, there's always hope :bigsmile:

Fair play to you, i d argue i ve been in a few situations where there was none (but i am a pretty morbid person).
Lots of wise guys/gals, tonight i see:P

Oh turd, they beat me to it. And sorry, I didn't think of this myself. I saw it posted outside one of my old chemistry classrooms... oh memories :smile:
Original post by SeanFM
Whether it is half full or half empty, my focus will be on whatever is concerning me at the moment, and I will onlyworry about it if I start feeling thirsty.

That sounds quite wise really :smile: , i used to be horrendous for worrying about the future and what ifs ( i really used to catarophise situations and it did me no good) so am trying to live in the moment much more these days.
a full glass of kindness :proud:
Oh so your view is more situational i suppose.

Possibly? Except right now I can't think of a time when I was optimistic. :moon:

Spoiler

Reply 30
Oh turd, they beat me to it. And sorry, I didn't think of this myself. I saw it posted outside one of my old chemistry classrooms... oh memories :smile:

Nor did I! :lol:
I once heard the Prime Minister of India say it during a speech like 3 years ago :rofl:
Original post by Pixsoul
I'm the person who sits on the fence and says "it depends".

If the glass was empty, and had water poured in to the halfway mark, I'd say it was half full.

If the glass was full, and some was poured out, I'd say it was half empty.

(I can't make simple decisions - about anything).

I think I lean more to the empty side sometimes, although trying to move towards the other side...

Ah you're quite indecisive then i see. I m attempted to lean towards the other side but i'm finding it quite the battle at times really, my ridiculously optimistic partner helps though.

Original post by Leviathan1741
I used to definitely be a half empty person, but now I am becoming more of a half full person. I still have bad days though!
Why the change if you don't mind me asking, is it that you want to be more of an optimist or its just happened?

My chemistry classroom was covered in transformers and south park posters, seems like your teacher had better taste:P

Original post by fatima1998
a full glass of kindness :proud:

You can be kind as both an optimist and pessimist although the world does need more kindness.
Possibly? Except right now I can't think of a time when I was optimistic. :moon:

Spoiler

I've been a pessimist literally half my life, possibly more really. Hence the attempt at trying to change my view point recently (although i dont see pessimism as a flaw in all situations though)
Really depends on the situation - if someone's filling it up and stops halfway, I'll call it half full; if I give someone a sip of my nearly full drink and they give it back and only half the contents are left, I'll complain that it's now half empty.
Half empty for sure. Despite being quite an upbeat person in most people's opinion, I'm actually very pessimistic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why the change if you don't mind me asking, is it that you want to be more of an optimist or its just happened?

Well, before I was suffering a fair bit with depression (due to a combination of family issues, losing my friends, exam stress, among other things). Last year I started on a course of antidepressants, and now I'm much less emotional and negative than I used to be :smile:
I've been a pessimist literally half my life, possibly more really. Hence the attempt at trying to change my view point recently (although i dont see pessimism as a flaw in all situations though)

I suppose it's good to consider things from the other side. (No, the pun was not intended.)

But yep, I guess pessimism can be useful sometimes. Which is a really optimistic viewpoint for a pessimist. :lol:
Original post by Leviathan1741
Well, before I was suffering a fair bit with depression (due to a combination of family issues, losing my friends, exam stress, among other things). Last year I started on a course of antidepressants, and now I'm much less emotional and negative than I used to be :smile:

Oh i see, sorry to hear you were suffering, but glad to hear that you are feeling better than you were:smile:

I suppose it's good to consider things from the other side. (No, the pun was not intended.)

But yep, I guess pessimism can be useful sometimes. Which is a really optimistic viewpoint for a pessimist. :lol:

It is always good to look at situations from every possible side, i might be a pessimist but i have quite the analytic and logical brain.

I have found it useful if you could call it that, in some situations it made me treat some days as the last time i could see the people i loved, so i've never taken anything/anyone for granted.
i would just drink the water...
Original post by Spock's Socks
Half empty for sure. Despite being quite an upbeat person in most people's opinion, I'm actually very pessimistic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A fellow pessimist i see, i dont think its impossible to come across as upbeat as a pessimist though. I dont think some people who meet me realise how morbid i can be about certain things until they ask.

Quick Reply

Latest