The Student Room Group

It's already kicking off in Marseille...

Scroll to see replies

Where were these hooligans and their liquid courage when the muslims were running riot? They could be useful rather than throwing chairs around.
Original post by Reue
I suspect these disturbances wont last long... the french police have alot of experience in dealing with rioters :wink:

So true. The French police and gendarmerie don't put up with any bloody nonsense. They're very quick to give someone a crack in the face with their night stick if they're getting arsey

As for the hooliganism... t'was ever thus at football matches. I wonder why cricket fans don't attack each other like this? :wink:
What I'm struggling to understand is why the English fans were chanting in the first place "ISIS where are you? We've got pork on the barbecue."
Is that seriously a clever thing to say just months after over a hundred were killed?
And before anyone says it, yes Marseille has large a Muslim population however that doesn't = ISIS.
Reply 23
Original post by The Roast
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36496745

Bunch of french yobs and English goons got into a fight last night.

2 England fans were arrested :rolleyes:

Marseille isn't the best of towns though and this sort of fracas was to be expected.

There were not Frenchman but muslim Arabs. Marseilles has a 40% of muslims.

Englishman removed Kebab.
Original post by slaven
There were not Frenchman but muslim Arabs.

Your Evidence please?
(edited 7 years ago)
I heard a commentator say "It's not the French fans that want to fight England but the English fans that want to fight everyone... especially the police"

had me in stitches! :ahee::ahee:
Reply 26
Reply 27
Fresh clashes between Brits and the Marseille police today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36504410

The article says North Africans, not Muslims. Get your facts right. Oh and this is the only report and taking into consideration how biased it seems, I am questioning its validity.
Anyhow please also refer to my first post.
Reply 29
The article says "Un groupe de supporters anglais a été à l'origine d'échauffourées avec des musulmans de Marseille"

"Avec des musulmans de Marseille" means with muslims from Marseille.

There's a mention of muslims in the first phrase...
Reply 30
Original post by 713Wave
The article says North Africans, not Muslims. Get your facts right. Oh and this is the only report and taking into consideration how biased it seems, I am questioning its validity.
Anyhow please also refer to my first post.

Which post?

In the artilcle it is is literary said the Englishman provoked the Muslims in Marseilles. Are you blind or you cannot speak french?

And of course the vast majority of muslims in Marseilles are of North African descendant,
Original post by 713Wave
What I'm struggling to understand is why the English fans were chanting in the first place "ISIS where are you? We've got pork on the barbecue."
Is that seriously a clever thing to say just months after over a hundred were killed?
And before anyone says it, yes Marseille has large a Muslim population however that doesn't = ISIS.

It might seem stupid to you but that's just a typical football humour type chant to me and probably has more to do with the specific threat surrounding this tournament, it's not as if they're taking the piss out of the attacks. There are many examples of chants which could be considered offensive but shouldn't really be taken seriously or literally.
Original post by Kieran1996
What's the surprise?

Most people in England cannot go because they have a job

Therefore most at the Euros are the unskilled/unemployed

take leave mate.
wats the thing between french and english. always fighting.

i once heard an english told me he hate france for no reason
Original post by Wilfred Little
It might seem stupid to you but that's just a typical football humour type chant to me and probably has more to do with the specific threat surrounding this tournament, it's not as if they're taking the piss out of the attacks. There are many examples of chants which could be considered offensive but shouldn't really be taken seriously or literally.

I can totally understand what you are saying, However it doesn't make these types of chants acceptable (whether inside or outside the stadium).
Original post by slaven
Which post?

In the article it is is literary said the Englishman provoked the Muslims in Marseilles. Are you blind or you cannot speak French?

And of course the vast majority of Muslims in Marseilles are of North African descendant,

I missed the first bit, I only saw the section were it was talking about north Africans btw, not all north Africans are Muslim.

However these sorts of rioting have been taking place for a while now, in this article it's actually English, Russian and French fans who are all taking it out on each other.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/england-fan-thrown-into-marseille-harbour-as-football-violence-rages/ar-AAgUy29?ocid=spartanntp
It's all good. We've got Kane this Euro. That's enough to wipe the floor with the French...
Original post by Wilfred Little

Yeah but it get's out of hand a lot. Remember the racist Chelsea fans on the tube? It's seems to be whenever you're "in the zone" you can get away with chanting anything.
From BBC news:

"Chris Slegg, a BBC London reporter on holiday in Marseille for the football, said he had been at a bar with friends and other fans on Friday night, watching France's game against Romania, and the atmosphere had been friendly.
However, shortly after the match finished, a group of 20 to 30 French youths had emerged from side streets and thrown firecrackers and bottles at people who had been watching the game outside the bar, he said. The incident had been completely unprovoked, he said."
Original post by RivalPlayer
Not surprised. The English have a habit of shaming themselves in foreign countries.

Continue.

Quick Reply

Latest