The Student Room Group

Why Can't We Have a Cromwell Day?

Why can't we have a Cromwell Day taking place on 3rd September, the day of that great man Oliver Cromwell's death, and the anniversary of his God-given victories over the barbarous Scottish Presbyterian pigs at Dunbar and over the royalist heathens at Worcester? It would at least give us a day to celebrate one of our national heroes, something the leftists want to stop us doing.

Alternatively, it could be placed on 25th April, two days after St George's Day, the day of his birth, but for fear that they might clash, 3rd September is probably the safer course.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because not only was Cromwell a traitor, he's got a fairly chequered record in terms of being a brutal dick, particularly in his campaigns in Ireland.

I have very little time for the Covenanters - pretty much the most pointless ***** in the Civil War. But neither do I have any time for religious fundamentalists cutting about the place, chopping off the head of the King and trying to ban Christmas.
Original post by Cato the Elder
Why can't we have a Cromwell Day taking place on 3rd September, the day of that great man Oliver Cromwell's death, and the anniversary of his God-given victories over the barbarous Scottish Presbyterian pigs at Dunbar and over the royalist heathens at Worcester? It would at least give us a day to celebrate one of our national heroes, something the leftists want to stop us doing.

Alternatively, it could be placed on 25th April, two days after St George's Day, the day of his birth, but for fear that they might clash, 3rd September is probably the safer course.

I think that would be as popular in Scotland as a lead balloon - perhaps that was the point (it was a mini-genocide):

The battle of Dunbar lasted two hours. Cromwell claimed that 3,000 Scots were killed in the rout and another 10,000 taken prisoner, for the loss of only thirty men of the Commonwealth army. All the Scottish artillery and baggage was captured and 2,000 colours taken. Although Cromwell's estimate of the Scottish losses are probably exaggerated, it was undoubtedly a serious defeat for the Covenanters. The wounded Scottish prisoners were released, but about 5,000 were marched south to Durham. Many died from sickness and hunger either on the eight-day march or during the subsequent period of imprisonment in Durham Cathedral. The survivors were ultimately transported to New England or Barbados as indentured labourers.

(ps thats slaves)

Join/create a pressure group which supports the idea

He's already got a statue.

How is it "the Leftist's" fault?
Reply 5
lol who's cromwell?
Original post by Trapz99
lol who's cromwell?

Oliver Cromwell. The leader of the Parliamentarians during the civil war.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Cromwell
Reply 7
Original post by JamesN88
Oliver Cromwell. The leader of the Parliamentarians during the civil war.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Cromwell

What civil war?
Reply 8
Are you SERIOUS????

Cromwell was not only a traitor and puritan (basically people who think everything is sinful). But he banned literally everything we enjoy, such as sports and even CHRISTMAS!!!!! He helped spread this puritan "religion" until we the English people had enough and shipped some/most of them to the "new world" (america) who became one of the first the new settlers. They didn't bring any food etc and was starving, but the locals took pity on them and gave them food (hence the reason Americans now have Thanksgiving).

This illusion that Cromwell was a hero that saved England from the evil Charles the first, is a big fat lie. If anything it should be seen as a tragedy.
Original post by Trapz99
What civil war?

The English Civil War. Or The War of the Three Kingdoms to be more accurate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wars_of_the_Three_Kingdoms
no one even knows who this guy is lol
why is he important
Reply 11
Original post by Trapz99
lol who's cromwell?

Original post by Trapz99
What civil war?

average remain voter
The English Civil War. Or The War of the Three Kingdoms to be more accurate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wars_of_the_Three_Kingdoms

Original post by EuanF
average remain voter

Lol i never learned about it haha
Plus i don't really care about some random thing that happened so long ago lols
Reply 13
Original post by trapz99
lol i never learned about it haha
plus i don't really care about some random thing that happened so long ago lols

a v e r a g e
r e m a i n
v o t e r
Original post by mrITguy
Are you SERIOUS????

Cromwell was not only a traitor and puritan (basically people who think everything is sinful). But he banned literally everything we enjoy, such as sports and even CHRISTMAS!!!!! He helped spread this puritan "religion" until we the English people had enough and shipped some/most of them to the "new world" (america) who became one of the first the new settlers. They didn't bring any food etc and was starving, but the locals took pity on them and gave them food (hence the reason Americans now have Thanksgiving).

This illusion that Cromwell was a hero that saved England from the evil Charles the first, is a big fat lie. If anything it should be seen as a tragedy.

You're not wrong for the most part, but on the flip-side his actions layed the foundations for democracy and the British Army as we know it today. Ironic as it is given the fact that he ended up governing as a dictator.
Original post by EuanF
a v e r a g e
r e m a i n
v o t e r

Average Brexiter making irrational comments that have no bearing on the current discussion.
Original post by EuanF
a v e r a g e
r e m a i n
v o t e r

Why does he need to know about some guy from 400 years ago anyway. people should focus on stuff like the economy
Original post by EuanF
a v e r a g e
r e m a i n
v o t e r

Lol whenever I say something on a thread that's not related to the EU I get criticised from people for wanting to stay in the EU. I just feel that staying would be better for the financial services industry and some other service industries.
You're not wrong for the most part, but on the flip-side his actions layed the foundations for democracy and the British Army as we know it today. Ironic as it is given the fact that he ended up governing as a dictator.

Please explain?

Also ye you "could" say he layed the foundations for democracy. However, I would argue that the Magna Carta had a much bigger impact. The fact that he was very hypercritical by becoming dictator shows this.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EuanF
a v e r a g e
r e m a i n
v o t e r

If we leave the economy is ****ed do you realise that. Especially people working in London in business and related fields. Basically staying would be better for the economy in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending