The Student Room Group

Are you a glass half empty or glass half full kind of person?

Scroll to see replies

I don't care whether the glass is half empty or half full. I don't live in a bloody desert; if I want more water, then I can just fill the glass up to the top again. No need to make a big fuss over it, sheesh.
Original post by claireestelle
Ah you're quite indecisive then i see. I m attempted to lean towards the other side but i'm finding it quite the battle at times really, my ridiculously optimistic partner helps though.

Aye, I know what you mean. I think I was very optimistic when I was younger but become more of a pessimist over time; I half expect people to be ****s from the outset, or that things will "undoubtedly" go wrong. I think it's to do with experiences though. I'd like to think that world hasn't completely lost its mind (and that I haven't either).

What I did find last year though (because the year before was truly awful), was that keeping a little jar helped; I kept it on my desk at work, and every time something good happened / something funny / went or did something nice etc. I'd put it on a little post-it note, fold it up and put it in the jar. On New Year's Eve, my housemate and I went through them all.

I think it's easy to get lost in the negativity and to forget about some of the more positive things - no matter how small they are. Sometimes the best days involve being able to go for a coffee in the morning, in a quiet spot with a cake that the scales tell me I really shouldn't be eating, and people-watching for half hour.

You can be kind as both an optimist and pessimist although the world does need more kindness.

This.

Perhaps manners too.

"Thank you" and smiles can go a long way
I would say i m glass half empty but i m gradually getting less pessimistic.

i'm glass half full whenever i'm reminded which usually happens through reading about gratefulness on blog posts etc i happen to stumble across online, after i've been looking at the empty part for so long
Original post by BristolFresher15
I'm a glass filled with cyanide kinda guy.
bad day?
Original post by Pixsoul
Aye, I know what you mean. I think I was very optimistic when I was younger but become more of a pessimist over time; I half expect people to be ****s from the outset, or that things will "undoubtedly" go wrong. I think it's to do with experiences though. I'd like to think that world hasn't completely lost its mind (and that I haven't either).

What I did find last year though (because the year before was truly awful), was that keeping a little jar helped; I kept it on my desk at work, and every time something good happened / something funny / went or did something nice etc. I'd put it on a little post-it note, fold it up and put it in the jar. On New Year's Eve, my housemate and I went through them all.

I think it's easy to get lost in the negativity and to forget about some of the more positive things - no matter how small they are. Sometimes the best days involve being able to go for a coffee in the morning, in a quiet spot with a cake that the scales tell me I really shouldn't be eating, and people-watching for half hour.

This.

Perhaps manners too.

"Thank you" and smiles can go a long way

I've been a pessimist for at least 11 years really, so its almost always been my personality which makes changing quite difficult.
I do see more of the positive things these days though, you're right the simple things like coffee and cake are the best things in life :smile: That jar idea sounds brilliant:smile:
I would say half full
Neither. I'm a realist. But often realism is wrongly described as being Pessimism.
If your a pessimist you're either pleasantly surprised or right
The glass and water are just there, okay.
Glass is half full.
Original post by 1999_student
If your a pessimist you're either pleasantly surprised or right

Exactly:P

Original post by BirdIsWord
Neither. I'm a realist. But often realism is wrongly described as being Pessimism.

I have said i was being realistic in some situations to be told, that no i was just being pessimistic. Maybe people have different ideas as to what being realistic is.

It is always good to look at situations from every possible side, i might be a pessimist but i have quite the analytic and logical brain.

I have found it useful if you could call it that, in some situations it made me treat some days as the last time i could see the people i loved, so i've never taken anything/anyone for granted.

Which is probably better than focusing on either pessimism or optimism.

That is probably something I need to work on, but I do think it's great how you have been able to cherish the days that mattered the most.
I'm the type of person who'll just see it as an opportunity to drink some water and feel refreshed
Original post by TheOtherSide.
Which is probably better than focusing on either pessimism or optimism.

That is probably something I need to work on, but I do think it's great how you have been able to cherish the days that mattered the most.

I suppose it is better:smile: Well i learnt the lesson to cherish moments out of a very unfortunate situation, so now i always live be you don't know what you have till you lose it, so always make the most of everything you have really.
I suppose it is better:smile: Well i learnt the lesson to cherish moments out of a very unfortunate situation, so now i always live be you don't know what you have till you lose it, so always make the most of everything you have really.

I really do need to adopt that way of thinking!
I really do need to adopt that way of thinking!

It might take time to adopt but it really makes you appreciate the little moments.
It might take time to adopt but it really makes you appreciate the little moments.

I'd assume it does..

Another thing to add to my sort of bucket list, I suppose. :colondollar:
I'd assume it does..

Another thing to add to my sort of bucket list, I suppose. :colondollar:

Ooh I don't really have a bucket list, maybe I need to make one.
Ooh I don't really have a bucket list, maybe I need to make one.

I don't have a proper one either, just ideas of what I might be hoping to do in the future. I think making one is useful, though.
Exactly:P

I have said i was being realistic in some situations to be told, that no i was just being pessimistic. Maybe people have different ideas as to what being realistic is.

Yeah, its like if its the day before an exam and your friend hasnt started revising.
He asks you if its too late to start revising.
An optimist would say No! Of course you can get revision in if you stay up late
A pessimist would say Yes you've left it too late and you can only blame yourself
A realist would say You can stay up late but its still really unlikely you'll do well

Maybe its a bad example bit i hope people get the point, and why pessimism can be confused with realism.

Quick Reply

Latest