The Student Room Group

Have I effed up my university education?

I have left my social work course in 2nd year and i'm now joining a crappy childhood studies course as a 2nd year student which won't get me far in life i feel horrible. I just wasn't confident enough to be a social worker and that was portrayed during the 30 days of placement i did i'm too shy and awkward with people i was in the wrong profession. Have i still got a shot at getting a good job?
Did you wnat to be a social worker?

Didnt you know you might be shy or lacked confidence? They cna be deal with and dont have to hold you back.

What do you mean by a good job? There are those you enjoy and those which pay well?

Dont know about childhood studies. Its imperative you get a good grade. Do you wnat to be dealing with children?

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/childhood-studies
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Did you wnat to be a social worker?

Didnt you know you might be shy or lacked confidence? They cna be deal with and dont have to hold you back.

What do you mean by a good job? There are those you enjoy and those which pay well?

Dont know about childhood studies. Its imperative you get a good grade. Do you wnat to be dealing with children?

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/childhood-studies

I was unsure what career to choose just went with social work. after spending 2 years on the course i really enjoyed it. I still think about what the 3rd year would be like for me. I really wish i was confident that's the only thing holding me back i was doing great in assignments and knowledge area.

I did know i was shy but thought it was just a phase coming out of sixth form and i would get over it eventually once i join uni and interact more with others.

Good Job= good pay, higher up jobs e.g. social work, nurse, psychologist etc. not like a nursery nurse they barely pay

Childhood studies i could come out with a good grade if i really tried hard. I don't mind dealing with children as long as it's a good job i get on well with kids.
well you cna find out where people with those degrees go.
Also 50% of grad jobs are non degree specific.
You should talk to your supervisor/ tutor and careers. No idea if it really was necessary to come off the course? Maybe a better choice would have been to finish the second year, then take a break and go and get some work experience to deal with your confidence and shyness.issues. Go back when they are sorted.

You need a good grade.
Reply 4
BUMP
Reply 5
The fact that you referred to the course you've signed up for as 'crappy' suggests you didn't make the right move. I would say finish the course you started if you enjoyed it, and work on your confidence.
Btw your lack of confidence and shyness is going to affect you in whatever job, so you should start a strategy learning how to improve these.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending