The Student Room Group

Why Can't We Have a Cromwell Day?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L i b
Because not only was Cromwell a traitor

lol

I can think of many reasons why we shouldn't have a Cromwell day but that is the stupidest reason.

Wrong side of history and all that. Queen can bite my shiny metal ass.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by hoping4thebest
If we leave the economy is ****ed do you realise that. Especially people working in London in business and related fields. Basically staying would be better for the economy in my opinion.

We're a country, not a business, the economy won't have a huge effect on you, economists agree that the economic downturn is short term and we'll do better in the long run etc etc

But really, is that all it is to you? Money? Would you kill a man if I offered you enough money?
Original post by hoping4thebest
If we leave the economy is ****ed do you realise that. Especially people working in London in business and related fields. Basically staying would be better for the economy in my opinion.

Yep a lot of companies have already planned job cuts in case we leave. JP Morgan said last week that they are prepared to reduce their UK headcount if we leave.
Reply 23
Original post by L i b
Because not only was Cromwell a traitor

Reply 24
Correct me if I'm wrong (not done history for 4 years), but after Oliver Cromwell died, the monarchy was restored and so he was then deemed a traitor where they beheaded his corpse, so the country wouldn't celebrate Oliver Cromwell as that I guess would also be celebrating him apposing the monarchy.
Original post by mrITguy
Please explain?

Also ye you "could" say he layed the foundations for democracy. However, I would argue that the Magna Carta had a much bigger impact.

One of the foundations would be a more correct assesment. If you look at the next 2 centuries we became a constitutional monarchy with the Monarch largely fulfilling a ceremonial role while the French monarchy got marched to the guillotene. The formation of the New Model Army as a large professional force was also a drastic change from the ad hoc armies that were relied on before.
Reply 26
Apart from the fact that Cromwell ruled like a dictator (Lord Protectorate was his actual title), his takeover was the first step towards a constitutional monarchy and challenging the view of divine right.

The fact I find hypocritical is that his son was 'next in line' to take his place. Screams heredity right/monarchy but without the title.

Most of his efforts went in vain since the Cavalier Parliament came in and reversed pretty much most things militarily and politically when Charles II came to power and you've the parliament of William III to thank since they were the ones who introduced the Bill of Rights in the 1700s.

So no, I don't think Cromwell should deserve a day.
Reply 27
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
lol

I can think of many reasons why we shouldn't have a Cromwell day but that is the stupidest reason.

Wrong side of history and all that. Queen can bite my shiny metal ass.

Shhh, he's a royalist. :colone:
Original post by EuanF
We're a country, not a business, the economy won't have a huge effect on you, economists agree that the economic downturn is short term and we'll do better in the long run etc etc

But really, is that all it is to you? Money? Would you kill a man if I offered you enough money?

Of course it will have a big effect in the short term but this will mean a lot of job cuts which will lead to many graduates being unable to find a well-paying job, especially in the financial sector and certain other sectors.And of course money is more important. What else is? Honestly. I am not prepared for thousands of jobs to be lost just so that we can have 'more sovereignty'
Original post by EuanF

So if someone loses their job due to economic issues that isn't a huge effect on them?

If the economy struggles everything else struggles.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JamesN88
One of the foundations would be a more correct assesment. If you look at the next 2 centuries we became a constitutional monarchy with the Monarch largely fulfilling a ceremonial role while the French monarchy got marched to the guillotene. The formation of the New Model Army as a large professional force was also a drastic change from the ad hoc armies that were relied on before.

Yes ok, I wouldn't say he layed the foundation I would more say he was on of the first to "THINK" of that idea. The French revolution was hugely different to our situation...
I think you give him far too much credit, the New Model Army wasn't that special since both sides suffered victory and defeat. Whoever would have won, the military changes would have been kept no doubt.

Original post by Lujubi
Apart from the fact that Cromwell ruled like a dictator (Lord Protectorate was his actual title), his takeover was the first step towards a constitutional monarchy and challenging the view of divine right.

The fact I find hypocritical is that his son was 'next in line' to take his place. Screams heredity right/monarchy but without the title.

Most of his efforts went in vain since the Cavalier Parliament came in and reversed pretty much most things militarily and politically when Charles II came to power and you've the parliament of William III to thank since they were the ones who introduced the Bill of Rights in the 1700s.

So no, I don't think Cromwell should deserve a day.

^^ This
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by mrITguy
Please explain?

Also ye you "could" say he layed the foundations for democracy. However, I would argue that the Magna Carta had a much bigger impact. The fact that he was very hypercritical by becoming dictator shows this.

The Magna Carta, although quite democratic, meant very little to monarch's like Charles.

“No free man shall be seized, imprisoned, dispossessed, outlawed, exiled or ruined in any way, nor in any way proceeded against, except by the lawful judgement of his peers and the law of the land. "

Charles I imprisons a lot of people during his 11 year tyranny and a few years before that despite the protest of parliament. You've got the 5 knights case for their refusal to pay taxes (note that during the 1600s, parliament was against the idea of Charles imposing heavy taxes to get himself out of debt despite much of the population despising it.)

“To no one will we sell, to no one will we deny or delay right or justice.”

Charles I used prerogative courts to imprison people. These courts ruled in the king's favour and he often appointed these judges. The normal courts and prerogative courts were separate

During this period of time (since we're talking about Cromwell), the Magna Carta was pretty much useless but when it was first introduced, I'm sure it would have had a big impact (I'm not an expert on this so who knows).
It's Sir Thomas Fairfax and other we have to thank for fighting for democracy against theocratic monarchy not the traitor Cromwell who betrayed his own side and turned England into ISIS
Original post by Lujubi
The Magna Carta, although quite democratic, meant very little to monarch's like Charles.

“No free man shall be seized, imprisoned, dispossessed, outlawed, exiled or ruined in any way, nor in any way proceeded against, except by the lawful judgement of his peers and the law of the land. "

Charles I imprisons a lot of people during his 11 year tyranny and a few years before that despite the protest of parliament. You've got the 5 knights case for their refusal to pay taxes (note that during the 1600s, parliament was against the idea of Charles imposing heavy taxes to get himself out of debt despite much of the population despising it.)

Charles I used prerogative courts to imprison people. These courts ruled in the king's favour and he often appointed these judges. The normal courts and prerogative courts were separate

During this period of time (since we're talking about Cromwell), the Magna Carta was pretty much useless but when it was first introduced, I'm sure it would have had a big impact (I'm not an expert on this so who knows).

Oh yes, I am not saying the Charles was democratic. But I would say he was much better than Cromwell lol. Fact is, I think if things have kept going there would have been another person to rebel against the crown. Or the English would have deposed of Charles 1 and put Charles the 2nd on instead, who was a ok king.

Also note: Charles the first was quite popular with the people...
Original post by Lujubi

It interesting comparing the two as the Magna Carta was also abolished almost immediately but had a long lasting symbolic impact.
It interesting comparing the two as the Magna Carta was also abolished almost immediately but had a long lasting symbolic impact.

Forgot to add that in my previous post :redface:

Also it seemed like Cromewell wanted a roman empire system lol
Original post by Cato the Elder
Why can't we have a Cromwell Day taking place on 3rd September, the day of that great man Oliver Cromwell's death, and the anniversary of his God-given victories over the barbarous Scottish Presbyterian pigs at Dunbar and over the royalist heathens at Worcester? It would at least give us a day to celebrate one of our national heroes, something the leftists want to stop us doing.

Alternatively, it could be placed on 25th April, two days after St George's Day, the day of his birth, but for fear that they might clash, 3rd September is probably the safer course.

I doubt Cromwell would have wanted a day celebrating him, to be honest.
Original post by mrITguy
Forgot to add that in my previous post :redface:

Also it seemed like Cromewell wanted a roman empire system lol

Yeah in hindsight it's very much a debate over who was the least tyrannical.

I'm ambivalent to the idea of a Cromwell day, never really thought about it tbh:smile:

I know I'd be happy with only a statue of myself in 350 years.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah in hindsight it's very much a debate over who was the least tyrannical.

I'm ambivalent to the idea of a Cromwell day, never really thought about it tbh:smile:

Ye, makes for a very interesting discussion though :biggrin:

I am against a Cromwell day really, like others have said there are far more worthy people who have earned that right. What about a duke wellington day? or a British empire day? or king henry viii wife chopping day? :P
Original post by mrITguy
Ye, makes for a very interesting discussion though :biggrin:

I am against a Cromwell day really, like others have said there are far more worthy people who have earned that right. What about a duke wellington day? or a British empire day? or king henry viii wife chopping day? :P

The real question is would Cromwell vote out or in?

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending