The Student Room Group

Is it bad that I don't like doing medical things in my spare time?

So I'm in med school and I notice that sooooo many of my friends spend sooo much of their free time doing more medicine related stuff. After having most of their time taken up with the actual compulsory medical course, some students spend countless evenings and afternoons going to medical talks, conferences, workshops and events. Like why?! I've always been curious about this. I have no interest at all in doing more medicine related stuff that's non-compulsory in my spare time. Is that a bad thing? I get the whole stereotypical speech about being passionate about a subject but come on! With the sparse amount of free time medical students have left, why'd you spend most of it going to more medical activities instead of doing something more fun like chilling, going out to eat, movies, hanging with friends etc? Especially in the summer! I've noticed so many choose to go on a 'medical holiday'! I can't even imagine that. A holiday is supposed to be u know sun, beach, tourism but they'd rather just study more like robots? Is it fine that I don't like doing all this extra stuff? I know that if writing on a CV theirs would look so much more passionate and impressive than mine but I feel like the whole world focuses so much on what's on a piece of paper. There are people who would rather not spend all their extra free time with their heads in books or doing more educational stuff. There's not a problem with that right?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by JazzyFlower
So I'm in med school and I notice that sooooo many of my friends spend sooo much of their free time doing more medicine related stuff. After having most of their time taken up with the actual compulsory medical course, some students spend countless evenings and afternoons going to medical talks, conferences, workshops and events. Like why?! I've always been curious about this. I have no interest at all in doing more medicine related stuff that's non-compulsory in my spare time. Is that a bad thing? I get the whole stereotypical speech about being passionate about a subject but come on! With the sparse amount of free time medical students have left, why'd you spend most of it going to more medical activities instead of doing something more fun like chilling, going out to eat, movies, hanging with friends etc? Especially in the summer! I've noticed so many choose to go on a 'medical holiday'! I can't even imagine that. A holiday is supposed to be u know sun, beach, tourism but they'd rather just study more like robots? Is it fine that I don't like doing all this extra stuff? I know that if writing on a CV theirs would look so much more passionate and impressive than mine but I feel like the whole world focuses so much on what's on a piece of paper. There are people who would rather not spend all their extra free time with their heads in books or doing more educational stuff. There's not a problem with that right?

Naaa not a problem at all. While it can help with future job applications, in the end, the person that gets hired isn't always the best doctor, its who they like or get along with best (at least according to my uncle, his wife and their collegues).
In fact, when I shadowed them, they told me to not bother with all that crap and just focus on what matters, pass med school, partcipate in some research papers etc (minimally), barely enough to get published and thats it, don' waste my time unless I actually find it interesting.

I'm with you. While I want to be a doctor, I have no interesting in dovoting my every existence to it, need a work life balance
To build up your CV. Or out of genuine interest.

I never did any of this stuff, the only things that count for points on FPAS (applying for your 1st job) are publications so unless whatever you're going to do will lead to a publication, you're just as well off napping.
Reply 3
Original post by Freyr
Naaa not a problem at all. While it can help with future job applications, in the end, the person that gets hired isn't always the best doctor, its who they like or get along with best (at least according to my uncle, his wife and their collegues).
In fact, when I shadowed them, they told me to not bother with all that crap and just focus on what matters, pass med school, partcipate in some research papers etc (minimally), barely enough to get published and thats it, don' waste my time unless I actually find it interesting.

I'm with you. While I want to be a doctor, I have no interesting in dovoting my every existence to it, need a work life balance

Great. Because I have just finished third year in which we all had to undertake research projects and long story short my project crapped out due to other people's ignorance and stupidity so won't be getting anything published. This year was to give us a taster of research and I can clearly say I never want to do research again if I can avoid it. People keep saying oh if u want to be a top Doctor the best ones have to do research and I'm like I'm not a scientist though! I have this one friend who participates in all these medical group contests and extra medical stuff and just got her first publication as part of a group and I'm nowhere near doing what she is doing or has achieved because tbh I can't be asked! All that extra stuff. In the UK u r guaranteed to a job once u graduate then u just keep moving up don't think the whole CV thing applies if u just follow the traditional medicine route.

I find absolutely no non-compulsory medical activities interesting when my job is done or classes finished for the day I'd rather go play and eat. The one that worries me the most is people saying oh u need to know research to do well and I'm like why on earth is that the case, doctors shouldn't need to be able to do research that's what scientists are for. Doctors should just need to be able to read research that's it. Because I absolutely hate it, devoting ones whole time to a tiny project which doesn't contribute much to the bigger picture with so many chances for failure. I have some third year friends who r spending their summers continuing with their research projects and I'm like why!!!

So what employers in medicine don't fully take these passionate! Medical students over everyone else? People who spend their whole time getting medical awards or doing research. I can't nor do I want to compete like that, a waste of my life.
Reply 4
Original post by seaholme
To build up your CV. Or out of genuine interest.

I never did any of this stuff, the only things that count for points on FPAS (applying for your 1st job) are publications so unless whatever you're going to do will lead to a publication, you're just as well off napping.

Both. Building the CV and interest. A lot of people in my year more for interest but still what they've done can be written on a CV even though their primary intention was out of interest. But I have absolutely no interest in doing extra medical stuff. If I have no interest I don't want to do it. Like I said in the comment for the other post I just finished third year in which we had to do research to experience it and lucky students could get their stuff published but it's not easy. Due to mine crapping out I won't be getting a publication but I don't mind too much. But i hate research with a passion and don't intend on doing it again unless I'm forced to. Obviously this means I won't be getting publications and therefore others who do might get more points than me but that doesn't define where I'll end up in the long run right? Why do doctors get ranked with research publications in mind? Doctors aren't scientists. Just because someone does research and maybe gets it published doesn't make them a better doctor than one who doesn't do research. I don't see how working with cells or molecules makes u any better of a doctor.
Reply 5
Great. Because I have just finished third year in which we all had to undertake research projects and long story short my project crapped out due to other people's ignorance and stupidity so won't be getting anything published. This year was to give us a taster of research and I can clearly say I never want to do research again if I can avoid it. People keep saying oh if u want to be a top Doctor the best ones have to do research and I'm like I'm not a scientist though! I have this one friend who participates in all these medical group contests and extra medical stuff and just got her first publication as part of a group and I'm nowhere near doing what she is doing or has achieved because tbh I can't be asked! All that extra stuff. In the UK u r guaranteed to a job once u graduate then u just keep moving up don't think the whole CV thing applies if u just follow the traditional medicine route.

I find absolutely no non-compulsory medical activities interesting when my job is done or classes finished for the day I'd rather go play and eat. The one that worries me the most is people saying oh u need to know research to do well and I'm like why on earth is that the case, doctors shouldn't need to be able to do research that's what scientists are for. Doctors should just need to be able to read research that's it. Because I absolutely hate it, devoting ones whole time to a tiny project which doesn't contribute much to the bigger picture with so many chances for failure. I have some third year friends who r spending their summers continuing with their research projects and I'm like why!!!

So what employers in medicine don't fully take these passionate! Medical students over everyone else? People who spend their whole time getting medical awards or doing research. I can't nor do I want to compete like that, a waste of my life.

I agree with you haha. BUT these thigns aren't COMPLETELY irrelevant. if yo uget published, it'll help with foundation placement (if yo udon't care where you work, then it doesn't matter, just pass med school and you will get a job somewhere).
After that though, you have to interview, and again, its not VITAL to do research, it can help you stand out or become the deciding factor between you and another person.
That said, I have no interest in doing any research in the future, but while in med schoool, i'll do bare min research just to get my name added to a paper haha, I already have 1 pub anyway from my 3 year dissertation (i'm grad entry)
Reply 6
Original post by Freyr
I agree with you haha. BUT these thigns aren't COMPLETELY irrelevant. if yo uget published, it'll help with foundation placement (if yo udon't care where you work, then it doesn't matter, just pass med school and you will get a job somewhere).
After that though, you have to interview, and again, its not VITAL to do research, it can help you stand out or become the deciding factor between you and another person.
That said, I have no interest in doing any research in the future, but while in med schoool, i'll do bare min research just to get my name added to a paper haha, I already have 1 pub anyway from my 3 year dissertation (i'm grad entry)

Ughhhh I want nothing to do with research the chances of me ever getting on a published paper is slim. I want no involvement. Research literally makes me want to gouge my eyes out. I do care a tiny bit but in the long run where u get placed for foundation doesn't dictate how successful you will be right? And ffs potential deciding factor for interviews, seriously pick the candidate who is a better doctor! Little bits of involvement in research where the research subject is such a small tiny topic in no way should conclude that the one who did the research is a better doctor. That tiny research may not even be that significant to the job.
Your avatar made this post go from 5 to 100% in terms of making sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by nerdling_CompSci
Your avatar made this post go from 5 to 100% in terms of making sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha I thought the exact same!! 😂😂
Reply 9
Ughhhh I want nothing to do with research the chances of me ever getting on a published paper is slim. I want no involvement. Research literally makes me want to gouge my eyes out. I do care a tiny bit but in the long run where u get placed for foundation doesn't dictate how successful you will be right? And ffs potential deciding factor for interviews, seriously pick the candidate who is a better doctor! Little bits of involvement in research where the research subject is such a small tiny topic in no way should conclude that the one who did the research is a better doctor. That tiny research may not even be that significant to the job.

you don't have to even do proper research, i've heard of people essentially taking some patient surveys and got their name on a paper.

As for hiring the best doctor... Why? Essentially every doctor is going to be up to the required standard, the difference between most doctors and an amazing doctor is minimal since the patient is still going to receive treatment that follow NICE guidance anyway (and hence standardised care), therefore its better to hire someone that you like and won't piss you off (since you're going to be working together).

But again, if it drives you crazy, don't bother. you're still going to get a foundation placement, and anyway, compared to the number of points you gete from your decile rating in your year group (at your uni) and the SJT test, it's pretty insignificant, you're better off working hard to get better grades and ace the SJT. And you only really need TOP scores if you want to work somewhere very competitive. For me as long as i'm not in N ireland (just a bit TOO far away from family!) I don't mind where I work f1/2
And like you said, where you do your foundation doesn't directly correlate to success (again standardised training so every doctor meets min standards) and doesn't mean yo'll end up working there the rest of your life.
Reply 10
You really need to chill out and live and let live. If you don't want to do all this research stuff then don't, it isn't the end of the world, but it's clearly bothering you enough to write all these fairly passionate posts. If your colleagues want to get involved in research and you don't, who cares? You really shouldn't be undermining their efforts and/or slating them for wanting to do it (just as they shouldn't undermine you for not wanting to do it).

Original post by Freyr
you don't have to even do proper research, i've heard of people essentially taking some patient surveys and got their name on a paper.
That is still "proper research"....You don't need to be pipetting for it to "count" as "research". Historically, some of the largest and most influential papers have been epidemiological "taking patient surveys" - off the top of my head, the British Doctors Study (1956) that for the first time linked smoking and lung cancer.
The one that worries me the most is people saying oh u need to know research to do well and I'm like why on earth is that the case, doctors shouldn't need to be able to do research that's what scientists are for.

Wow...
You're going to have to do research such as audits and service evaluations as a doctor regardless so better to just get on board with it.
I'm the same. I don't give a **** about doing any medical extracurricular activities and I hate research with a passion. I regret spending a fair bit of time in 1st year going to medical talks and career fairs when I used to be passionate about the job, but after that I never wasted my time doing that again. Spent my spare time revising or getting involved in university shows. You really don't have to do any extra research/audits/publications at medical school - I think the people who do are only interested in the super-competitive jobs like surgery, paediatrics etc. I just want to be a GP, go back home to London and get the shortest training route over and done with quickly. It doesn't make you any less competent as a medical student if you don't want to do extra research, but there will be people you meet who just dedicate every waking moment to Medicine and whose entire lives revolve around getting that one competitive FY/specialty post. You're obviously different to them and you have a bit of personality, so just let them do what they want. Medical school is what you make of it - some people just want to study every minute of every day while others like you and me like to get a bit more enjoyment out of it. Nothing wrong with that. :smile:
Original post by asif007
x

It's not always about that competitive post - some people just genuinely enjoy their area and niche of interest, regardless of how competitive their specialty is. Your post makes it sound as if specialities like GP are not academically rigorous (compared to 'surgery') or that they don't benefit from applicants who are interested in research and academia. I've been involved in research and want to go into psychiatry; I know someone else who really loves deep-end GP and is doing an audit on that now. Neither are competitive specialties but in fact academic GP is a growing area and they are really wanting to shift the idea that the two areas don't go together.

It's fine if you and the OP don't like research but as one poster above said: stop demonising the people who do.
Original post by asif007
I just want to be a GP, go back home to London and get the shortest training route over and done with quickly.

Isn't GP in London pretty competitive though?

Also, you sound fairly bitter in most of your posts. Lighten up a little, this is the job you will be doing for the next 40+ years.
Original post by spacepirate-James
It's not always about that competitive post - some people just genuinely enjoy their area and niche of interest, regardless of how competitive their specialty is. Your post makes it sound as if specialities like GP are not academically rigorous (compared to 'surgery') or that they don't benefit from applicants who are interested in research and academia. I've been involved in research and want to go into psychiatry; I know someone else who really loves deep-end GP and is doing an audit on that now. Neither are competitive specialties but in fact academic GP is a growing area and they are really wanting to shift the idea that the two areas don't go together.

It's fine if you and the OP don't like research but as one poster above said: stop demonising the people who do.

It's hardly demonising the people who enjoy research if I'm simply saying that myself and OP are just not like them. Each to their own. But I'm someone who doesn't want to dedicate every moment at medical school to the pursuit of a particular specialty - I have nothing against the people who do, I just don't want to spend my time doing the same.

Original post by Caponester
Isn't GP in London pretty competitive though?

Also, you sound fairly bitter in most of your posts. Lighten up a little, this is the job you will be doing for the next 40+ years.

There is a shortage of GP's everywhere in the UK. I would imagine that it might be slightly more competitive in London than anywhere else, but regardless not competitive enough to require me having to do extra research, which is perfect. The situation might change in the next few years before I get there though, who knows.

Lol, you obviously don't know me well enough. Medicine is just an ordinary day-in day-out job for me. The last thing I want to do is spend my whole life working as a doctor. I have other ambitions and creative interests I want to pursue seriously before I even consider applying for GP. So I don't think it makes a difference how I feel about the job. I have a right to be bitter if I want to considering everything I've been through, and you must be taking yourself way too seriously if you think some of us don't find the job or training as perfect as everyone else makes it out to be.
Original post by asif007
There is a shortage of GP's everywhere in the UK. I would imagine that it might be slightly more competitive in London than anywhere else, but regardless not competitive enough to require me having to do extra research, which is perfect. The situation might change in the next few years before I get there though, who knows.

London is still competitive for pretty much everything. Especially if you want a job in London London rather than the far reaches of each deanery.
Original post by seaholme
London is still competitive for pretty much everything. Especially if you want a job in London London rather than the far reaches of each deanery.

If that's the case then I will just do locum work through agencies (if they still exist), probably for minimum wage. I gave up a lot to study Medicine and got nothing in return, so I refuse to compromise on where I want to live for a job I'm not fully committed to. If and when I ever finish Medicine, I'm going home to London even if I don't end up working as a doctor. Like I said, I have other ambitions I want to pursue seriously and I will only make a career for myself in London.
Original post by asif007
It's hardly demonising the people who enjoy research if I'm simply saying that myself and OP are just not like them. Each to their own. But I'm someone who doesn't want to dedicate every moment at medical school to the pursuit of a particular specialty - I have nothing against the people who do, I just don't want to spend my time doing the same.

Except both you and OP clearly do have some complex against the people who choose to dedicate a lot of their time to research from your posts.

Anyway, you always come across as really really bitter in every post. What's with the 'holier than thou' attitude with regards to medicine being only a 'job' for you? You seem to have it wired in your head that it makes you a more unique and edgy person for having that reactive view. We all have creative interests and other hobbies; but most medics manage to balance them alongside our interest in medicine, in research etc. without having to feel like we need to mention it in every post.

If you really hate medicine, as I am sure you do, then why don't you just quit whilst your ahead? Genuinely curious. Why keep up all this 'woe is me - aren't I such a humanitarian - all the things I've been through' whining when you could genuinely leave. Why entertain the delusion that somehow you'll be able to cope with being an FY1/2 then a competent GP if you have such strongly negative attitudes to medicine now?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by spacepirate-James
Except both you and OP clearly do have some complex against the people who choose to dedicate a lot of their time to research from your posts.

Anyway, you always come across as really really bitter in every post. What's with the 'holier than thou' attitude with regards to medicine being only a 'job' for you? You seem to have it wired in your head that it makes you a more unique and edgy person for having that reactive view. We all have creative interests and other hobbies; but most medics manage to balance them alongside our interest in medicine, in research etc. without having to feel like we need to mention it in every post.

If you really hate medicine, as I am sure you do, then why don't you just quit whilst your ahead? Genuinely curious. Why keep up all this 'woe is me - aren't I such a humanitarian - all the things I've been through' whining when you could genuinely leave. Why entertain the delusion that somehow you'll be able to cope with being an FY1/2 then a competent GP if you have such strongly negative attitudes to medicine now?

Dude, you make so many assumptions in this post that I just CBA to name them all. I don't see how this affects you at all - no need to be so judgmental. Not every medic needs to have the same motivation or reasons for wanting to study Medicine. I'm different to most people in that I just want to finish what I started and qualify. I haven't made a lot of consideration for the job afterwards because it's not what I want to do for the rest of my life. However, without Medicine I have nothing and would probably have to take several steps back but finishing it is the lesser of two evils. I did start down this path intending to make it to the end. You might tell me something about "there is no end" and "lifelong learning" or some BS but for me, graduating and/or finishing FY2 is as much as I want to do. GP is only a fall-back career. I don't see anything wrong with that - just because I don't want to do the job, doesn't mean I don't have as much of a right to get a medical degree as someone who does. Sue me.

And I've hardly got a complex against other people for enjoying what they do and wanting to dedicate their spare time to doing more study, research etc. That's your own conclusion. I'm doing exactly the same as them, just in my creative pursuits more than Medicine. All I'm saying is that I'm different to everyone else - I'm obviously not as passionate about the job as they are and I don't have as much motivation as they do. Still no reason why I should be judged as inferior to everyone else. Yes, of course I know that medics balance their creative interests with the job, I see people doing it all the time. But along the way some of us find things we enjoy more than Medicine and that promise a more happy, fulfilling life. I don't want to compromise on my creative interests for Medicine. As I already mentioned, I refuse to compromise on anything in favour of Medicine any more. So once I finish, I'll be pursuing my ambitions more seriously, hopefully with the aim of turning it into a career.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending