The Student Room Group

Who was Britain's Greatest Prime Minister?

Scroll to see replies

Tony Blair.
Boris Johnson
Reply 22
Original post by Ambitious1999
Out of:
Harold Wilson, Tony Blair, Winston Churchill, Thacher, Gordon Brown.
Who is the best?

For me its Tony Blair.

Tony Blair was excellent with his record in international affairs.

Original post by Alfissti
Blair was mostly successful because he continued on with much of Thatcher's policies.

Thatcher was successful because she dared take some very bold moves to solve problems that needed solving.

The rest, Wilson wasn't a good PM, he had the opportunity to bring in major reforms that was needed but instead opted to do nothing, I suppose in a way it was best that he had done nothing because anything he did became an absolute disaster, think British Leyland, the reason why Britain today no longer have any home-based mass-production of automobiles. You could say that Thatcher ruined the mining industry but Wilson ruined MUCH if not all of British manufacturing industry.

Churchill, he was a good war time prime minister but in peace time he wasn't that fantastic a leader.

Gordon Brown?? "I have eliminated boom and bust" LOL

David Cameron? A good PM in modern times but the reality of it is nothing abnormally special. Should be doing a LOT better considering his privileged background and currently strong majority in Parliament.

Yes, a strong majority of 17.
Original post by Ambitious1999
Out of:
Harold Wilson, Tony Blair, Winston Churchill, Thacher, Gordon Brown.
Who is the best?

For me its Tony Blair.

1 - Churchill
2 - Thatcher

/thread
I'll rank them:
1) Churchill

2) Everyone else except Gordon Brown and Tony Blair.
3) TB and GB
(edited 7 years ago)
Churchill by miles.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Attlee

Was quite disappointed to not see his name in the poll glad others recognised his critical influence in the post-war consensus
Original post by ivybridge
I dont think she did. And I really admire her.

She hated gays.
But youre all wrong and im right, it has got to be Benjamin Disraeli
Cometh the hour, cometh the (wo)man.

This certainly applies to Churchill & to a lesser extent to Thatcher as well.
Both had their flaws: they both made statements & policy that with hindsight were wrong. But both utterly stamped their authority on their enemies - Churchill being against the Nazis while Maggie took on unions, the economy & the Soviets.

Without either of these two PMs the UK would be in a far worse position than it is today.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by saeed9752
She hated gays.

No, she didn't.

I didn't say I agreed with everything she did and you shouldn't assume my sexuality makes any difference. I'm not sure why you felt the need to bring it up.
Thatcher.

Although she somewhat failed to consider the long consequences of her actions, on the whole the majority of the population was better off when she left than when she arrived. As much as some people whine, for every miner that got the sack there is somebody who was able to purchase their own house because of her.
Original post by saeed9752
But youre all wrong and im right, it has got to be Benjamin Disraeli

I have a lot of respect for him and he was not a bad PM however he had little respect for tradition or class and i can see why Gladstone considered him a charlatan. On the whole i punt for Gladstone over Disraeli but view them both as superior to anything until 79 (perhaps MacMillan should be in there too).
(edited 7 years ago)
Where is Attlee... :frown:
Reply 34
Original post by salty670
no she didn't bring in poll tax because the degenerate loosers refused to pay , if it wasn't for thatcher i dare to think the situation we would find ourself in now

People always say that but of course if she hadn't brought in her policies someone else would have at some point.

And that someone else may have been able to do so without being so devisive to boot.
No, she didn't.

I didn't say I agreed with everything she did and you shouldn't assume my sexuality makes any difference. I'm not sure why you felt the need to bring it up.

You are gay, aren't you?
Original post by Ladbants
You are gay, aren't you?

Yes... but why does it matter? :s-smilie:
Margaret Thatcher

Sorry but Churchill wasn't all that great..
Yes... but why does it matter? :s-smilie:

Nothing.
Clement Attlee.

Or Gladstone/Disraeli.

Blair was/is an evil ****, who has no authority to comment on anything, even Brexit, since he's EVIL...

Quick Reply

Latest