The Student Room Group

AQA Biology AS New Spec - 26th May and 7th June

Scroll to see replies

does anyone here have access to both of the papers that we are talking about and the mark scheme?
what do you guys think the grade boundaries will be for a D, C, B and A for both papers?
Original post by dragonblazer11
what do you guys think the grade boundaries will be for a d, c, b and a for both papers?

d= 65
c= 81
b= 96
a= 104
who here thinks they might have got an A or a B
Original post by Coleworld1
does anyone here have access to both of the papers that we are talking about and the mark scheme?

If you manage to get them, please inbox me them. Cheers
Reply 825
doing paper 2 as an internal exam this week, can someone give me major topic list of what popped up, thanks
Reply 826
Original post by Namita Gurung
We did a mock in school a few weeks ago, which was one of the specimen papers that aren't disclosed to the students so I can't find the answers anywhere.

Just realised I didn't mark one of the questions properly. Please help :redface:

Q) In a eukaryotic cell, transcription results in a molecule of pre-mRNA that is modified to produce mRNA. In a prokaryotic cell transcription produces mRNA directly. Explain this difference.

I know that it's to do with the complexity of eukaryotic cells but don't know exactly what the answer should have.
Any help greatly appreciated!

What kind of topics came up in that paper?
Original post by Anonxx
What kind of topics came up in that paper?

Mitosis was on there
Cardiac cycle calculations
Hydrolysis for the removal of lactose in milk

There was a lot of the stuff that didn't come up in the actual exam.
Reply 828
Mitosis was on there
Cardiac cycle calculations
Hydrolysis for the removal of lactose in milk

There was a lot of the stuff that didn't come up in the actual exam.

Was this paper 2? And was it an ok paper overall? I
Original post by Anonxx
Was this paper 2? And was it an ok paper overall? I

It was hard but not impossible if you're revised.

Why? Do you have the test soon?
Reply 830
It was hard but not impossible if you're revised.

Why? Do you have the test soon?

Oh ok, and yeah next week
@CrazyFool229 Umm is the level of depth in these definitions enough or should I look elsewhere. Have my Mock in a few days time and I really don't want to mess things up...

https://a9c4db5728f476f10dab258f06236e7e09aba195.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYUmM4NmpzWUItTjg/Terms%20&%20Definitions%20-%20Unit%201%20AQA%20Biology%20A-Level.pdf
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AlphaWolfZ
@CrazyFool229 Umm is the level of depth in these definitions enough or should I look elsewhere. Have my Mock in a few days time and I really don't want to mess things up...

https://a9c4db5728f476f10dab258f06236e7e09aba195.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYUmM4NmpzWUItTjg/Terms%20&%20Definitions%20-%20Unit%201%20AQA%20Biology%20A-Level.pdf

hey is that for As because if so seems like stuff from the old spec the definitions seem good but just remember some definitions may not be needed and some extra ones may be needed
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
hey is that for As because if so seems like stuff from the old spec the definitions seem good but just remember some definitions may not be needed and some extra ones may be needed

Oh thanks, yup it's AS. Do you have any updated list or any specific keywords that are newly added into the syllabus?
Oh thanks, yup it's AS. Do you have any updated list or any specific keywords that are newly added into the syllabus?

sorry i dont have a list but i know some stuff that you dont have to know until A2 like types of nodes and such i know some stuff have moved from A2 to As but cant seem to remember if ythey gave you a textbook should be at the back of that all the definitions if not hmm ill see if i can try remember
(edited 7 years ago)

Those definitions are definitely okay.

The physics of the cardiac cycle i.e. electrical signals from the SAN and the SVN aren't needed though and also transmission, because as Gabby has pointed out they are from the old AS specification.
what was the question on paper two about xerophytes being adapted. it sed "apart from.... explain how xerophytes are adapted"
how many 2 marker questions were there in paper 2 and how many calculation questions were there, anyone remember? And what grade do you think you guys got
Original post by hannah_ashton
Did you find one?

No unfortunately not sorry
Can someone please send the papers over ?

Quick Reply