The Student Room Group

How am I supposed to get a girlfriend?

I'm feeling lonely, and like I'm missing out. I know I'll definitely regret not having a girlfriend around my age (I'm 19) later in life, because it's around my age you can f*ck around and have loads of fun. I wanna spend my youth having fun and doing something crazy. not feeling sorry for myself.

I'm at uni, and I’ve just finished my first year studying accounting and finance. (it's more interesting than it sounds)

anyway, most, if not all, of the people on my course, don't really have any interest in accounting and finance. which leaves the only other possible common interests to be: video games (like halo, dark souls, LoL, Blizzard games, Mortal Kombat, not fifa), playing guitar, and rock/metal music (like Metallica).
and the chance anyone on my course, on my campus, is interested in any of that, is very low.

clubbing isn't really an option. I like drinking but I'm not really a clubbing person. I can't dance for sh!t, and I'd much rather be on stage in front of a large audience playing guitar, or in my room playing video games. (I'm not a pro at guitar btw. I can't really show off). It’s awkward and you could tell I don't belong there, and I'm conscious of it too. (clubbing can be fun, when I don't care about strangers, but not so much right now)

Lastly, I’m an introvert, if that helps at all?
Not too big on changing myself either. I just want directions and a strategy.

I think I’ve made the wrong choices, and now I won’t find anyone I have anything in common with.
Sound a bit like me.

Take up a sport or another hobby? I do photo manipulation art or rock climbing. I also volunteer at a library and work two jobs at uin.

Plenty of opportunities around, just have to grab them!
Reply 2
You're 19 years old and you sound like you're 90. Your life isn't over. Take some time to explore your interests, do what you enjoy and see what opportunities come out of it. Hoes like successful guys and especially those who are popular. You sound like you're doing fairly well with your guitar playing, so keep that up. Clubbing is not the be all and end all - guys who can't dance for **** still end up taking girls home at the end of the night because they're confident. Go to the gym, make some gains, look after your own health and wear nice clothes. Girls notice all these things because they want a good-looking body over personality. Any girl who says she wants a good personality is chatting BS. Lastly, be passionate and stand up for your beliefs - girls like guys who have something to focus on, such as a career or the gym. You can still be an introvert and be successful with girls. FFS, I've seen the most weedy, timid and socially inept guys walking around with girlfriends like they own the place - they obviously have something about them that weird girls like. You know yourself best - play to your strengths and work on your own self-confidence first. Then go out and meet more girls, take some risks and you'll get a gf eventually.
Original post by Bob Lightning
I'm feeling lonely, and like I'm missing out. I know I'll definitely regret not having a girlfriend around my age (I'm 19) later in life, because it's around my age you can f*ck around and have loads of fun. I wanna spend my youth having fun and doing something crazy. not feeling sorry for myself.

I'm at uni, and I’ve just finished my first year studying accounting and finance. (it's more interesting than it sounds)

anyway, most, if not all, of the people on my course, don't really have any interest in accounting and finance. which leaves the only other possible common interests to be: video games (like halo, dark souls, LoL, Blizzard games, Mortal Kombat, not fifa), playing guitar, and rock/metal music (like Metallica).
and the chance anyone on my course, on my campus, is interested in any of that, is very low.

clubbing isn't really an option. I like drinking but I'm not really a clubbing person. I can't dance for sh!t, and I'd much rather be on stage in front of a large audience playing guitar, or in my room playing video games. (I'm not a pro at guitar btw. I can't really show off). It’s awkward and you could tell I don't belong there, and I'm conscious of it too. (clubbing can be fun, when I don't care about strangers, but not so much right now)

Lastly, I’m an introvert, if that helps at all?
Not too big on changing myself either. I just want directions and a strategy.

I think I’ve made the wrong choices, and now I won’t find anyone I have anything in common with.

Dating agencies?
Girlfriends are overrated anyway bro just live your life, if you get a nice girlfriend thats a bonus.
Join a club/society catered towards your interests. I highly doubt there's nobody on your campus who enjoys video games or plays the guitar.
Do u even WoW tho?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sarkrista112
Do u even WoW tho?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't even wanna ask what that is or why you're up at this time
Sing it like Michael Bolton m8
You don't have to go clubbing or stop bring an introvert to get a girlfriend.

But you do have to get out there and meet people, otherwise nothing will change. Join uni societies or do voluntary work etc. It gives you the opportunity to develop friendships and possibly more.
Original post by 0to100
I don't even wanna ask what that is or why you're up at this time

World of Warcraft (he mentioned Blizzard). And I've decided to stay awake all night.
World of Warcraft (he mentioned Blizzard). And I've decided to stay awake all night.

I know **** all about that game lol and you've decided to, is it? I just happened to miss my sleeping tab dose. :\
So now I'm just sat up watching my collection of Jezza episodes :smile: and going back in forth whether I get up to make a burrito...which goes so well with all the drink I had earlier friday
Original post by 0to100
I know **** all about that game lol and you've decided to, is it? I just happened to miss my sleeping tab dose. :\
So now I'm just sat up watching my collection of Jezza episodes :smile: and going back in forth whether I get up to make a burrito...which goes so well with all the drink I had earlier friday

Regarding the game - if anyone ever asks you to answer 'Horde or Alliance?' - you should say Horde, always horde. Yeah my sleeping pattern is messed up so I'm trying to sort it over the weekend. Well that's nice, I'm not a big fan of Jeremy Kyle but I recently went on a YouTube binge to make me feel better about my life and teeth.
Regarding the game - if anyone ever asks you to answer 'Horde or Alliance?' - you should say Horde, always horde. Yeah my sleeping pattern is messed up so I'm trying to sort it over the weekend. Well that's nice, I'm not a big fan of Jeremy Kyle but I recently went on a YouTube binge to make me feel better about my life and teeth.

Well I'm enjoyin myself over here lol there's this lad on here who is just pure laughs and he doesn't even know
I'll keep the horde thing in mind...I suppose...:ninja:
What's wrong with your life..and teeth? lol and what're you watching then?
Reply 14
Its not as easy as one might hope to get a gf at uni. I tried societies, going drinking and working in SU bar as strategies. Clubbing seems like an opportunity but unless your above average attractiveness it doesn't really work. I got to understand girls a lot better but suffered a lot of friendzoning. In 3 years I had one kiss, a lot of sexual frustration and some loneliness. Anyway all I can say is that what your describing is I think common, that dating is about patience and tenacity and about using your strength and working on weaknesses. Practice flirting and try with girls of a range of attractiveness, not just babes. It will happen if you stay positive. For some reason my luck changed when I went to work.
Thanks for all the answers guys. You've all been helpful.

and fyi, i started playing WoW just before WotLK started. i quit before WoD released. I had fun playing it, but i'm not going back. and most of the characters i played were alliance. WoW isn't as good as it was in WotLK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending