The Student Room Group

Autism and Learning Difficulties, Am I getting the write help ?

I have Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified with traits of Aspergers Syndrome
Mild Dyslexia
Moderate Dyscalculia
Mild Dysgraphia
Mild Developmental Dyspraxia

I am wondering If I am getting the write kind of help with my education.

I am 28 and this year I learnt how to divide.

It seems like a bit of a long time to wait to learn division.

I still have no concept of time, however I learnt to read a clock last year.

I receive support from Autism Wessex, supposedly 4 hours a day 5 days a week, except bank holidays.
However Autism Wessex are *hit as they never know what is going on, there is no communication in the office, and I get a different support worker every day, and sometimes they ring me up saying my session has been canceled for such and such reason.

The College say I can have a support worker in the classroom with me, Autism wessex say it is not aloud ?

The College say I am allowed extra Time in exams, I have not had extra time since being at BPC despite always having it in the past.

I get extra Maths Tuition at the College

Being that I am Obese I have body Image issues.

I don't like the way I look.

I don't like the sound of my voice

I don't like the color of my skin !

I have issues regarding my past

I have issues regarding my Future

I find it difficult to motivate myself to study.
whoa lots of things
(including your spelling :biggrin:)
but please don't give up, there will be someone willing to devote their time to making you an integral part of society :smile:
Surely, things that happen at college, (such as needing someone at college) are down to the college?

The college have to, IIRC, apply to the exam boards for extra times. You have to supply evidence for this. With things like Dyslexia, you were given a report. Within that report, a load of recommendations were made. One of which would have been exams and general college stuff.
Reply 3
Original post by dr_sepheroth
I have Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified with traits of Aspergers Syndrome
Mild Dyslexia
Moderate Dyscalculia
Mild Dysgraphia
Mild Developmental Dyspraxia

I am wondering If I am getting the write kind of help with my education.

I am 28 and this year I learnt how to divide.

It seems like a bit of a long time to wait to learn division.

I still have no concept of time, however I learnt to read a clock last year.

I receive support from Autism Wessex, supposedly 4 hours a day 5 days a week, except bank holidays.
However Autism Wessex are *hit as they never know what is going on, there is no communication in the office, and I get a different support worker every day, and sometimes they ring me up saying my session has been canceled for such and such reason.

The College say I can have a support worker in the classroom with me, Autism wessex say it is not aloud ?

The College say I am allowed extra Time in exams, I have not had extra time since being at BPC despite always having it in the past.

I get extra Maths Tuition at the College

Being that I am Obese I have body Image issues.

I don't like the color of my skin !

I have issues regarding my past

I find it difficult to motivate myself to study.

I suggest you see an educational psychologist to check you are getting any medical help you need and that you know how to help yourself at home.
I also sugget you apply for DSA (disabled students allowance). I have dyslexia and ADD and I was given the option of a reader and scribe in exams and extra time, somebody to write for me in the classroom, study support sessions (1 to 1) once a week and allowances for lateness in attendance and coursework. You may be entitled to different things and it may be worth asking an educational psychiatrist what they think would help you (though the assessment people for DSA are usually pretty good). If you college has said you are allowed somebody in class with you then you are since it's up to them. The Autism awareness people may mean that they don't have to give you one.
You may also like to consideer therapy for your image issues. I say therapy because they have more training and will probably be better able to understand your learning difficulties and how they affect your mental health.

Good luck. There is support available for you so take it :smile:
You may be getting the right help now or you may not - I don't know your situation - but I can guarantee that if you were diagnosed early, you shouldn't have had to wait so long to get the help you needed. If you were only diagnosed recently, it's a different story.
"I am 28 and this year I learnt how to divide.

It seems like a bit of a long time to wait to learn division."

It is.

"I still have no concept of time, however I learnt to read a clock last year."

I learnt to read a clock in my late teens. It's common for aspies to have a low/no concept of time.

"I have issues regarding my past

I find it difficult to motivate myself to study."

Search "executive dysfunction". Copy and paste this if you can't spell it.

"Being that I am Obese I have body Image issues.

I don't like the color of my skin !"

You can lose weight if it worries you, and get speech therapy, though neither of these are essential. I'm not sure why you don't like the colour of your skin.
Original post by Kindred
I suggest you see an educational psychologist to check you are getting any medical help you need and that you know how to help yourself at home.
I also sugget you apply for DSA (disabled students allowance). I have dyslexia and ADD and I was given the option of a reader and scribe in exams and extra time, somebody to write for me in the classroom, study support sessions (1 to 1) once a week and allowances for lateness in attendance and coursework. You may be entitled to different things and it may be worth asking an educational psychiatrist what they think would help you (though the assessment people for DSA are usually pretty good). If you college has said you are allowed somebody in class with you then you are since it's up to them. The Autism awareness people may mean that they don't have to give you one.
You may also like to consideer therapy for your image issues. I say therapy because they have more training and will probably be better able to understand your learning difficulties and how they affect your mental health.

Good luck. There is support available for you so take it :smile:

DSA is only for uni level courses. I have a feeling the OP may not be at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest