The Student Room Group

I think Britain is going to remain in the EU.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nulli tertius
Switzerland said no (very marginally but none-the-less "no":wink: about 6 months after its government applied in 1992 and before the EU even considered whether to say "yes".

I am not sure that the possibility of Liechtenstein joining the EU has ever been considered. The EU is not really geared up for microstate membership so Andorra, San Marino, Monaco and the Vatican City are not members either despite using the Euro (Lichtenstein uses the Swiss Franc).

Norway is the only serious refusnik and it has led the EU along twice only to jilt it. There is a disconnect between farmers and fishermen on the one hand and the rest of the Norwegian economy. Norway will pay anything and do anything to the EU to avoid the Common Agricultural Policy and the Common Fisheries Policy.

To be fair to Norway,they use their income from oil very well,it invests its revenue and also uses it in other countries around the world,it's a very rich country though very dear for night life,as is Iceland.
Original post by Azynyan
My decision is #Brexit! Even if we don't win, if people are unhappy with the EU there is nothing preventing another referendum, no matter what that Cameron says.

Well if there was another one in say 15 years many of the older people who are for leave will be dead.

Also I'm not sure how it works but I would assume that many current recent immigrants would be British citizens by then and some would have children of voting age and many of the next influx of immigrants would also be British by then.And I'm sure most would vote to remain all other things being equal.

Plus leave might well not have someone with the charisma of Farage and I'm sure there'd be at least a couple more disadvantages to people on the leave side.

It took 40 years for the ******* politicians/elite to 'grant ' us plebs this opportunity.

Thsts why so many people are going to grasp it with both hands.

I'm always saying that voting is stupid because no election will ever be decided by one vote.

But even I'm going to vote this time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nulli tertius
There is one thing in the article that is disingenuous. He refers to Norwegians paying only £106 per head for the EU.

The UK only pays about £132 a head for membership of the EU.

If given the choice, would you pay £106 to sit in the back row of the gods behind a pillar when for £132 you could sit in the front row of the dress circle and get to meet Mr Juncker backstage?

Pay the extra to get slapped and smell the brandy breath!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPgiI46FCDU
Original post by moggis
Well if there was another one in say 15 years many of the older people who are for leave will be dead.

Also I'm not sure how it works but I would assume that many current recent immigrants would be British citizens by then and some would have children of voting age and many of the next influx of immigrants would also be British by then.And I'm sure most would vote to remain all other things being equal.

Plus leave might well not have someone with the charisma of Farage and I'm sure there'd be at least a couple more disadvantages to people on the leave side.

It took 40 years for the ******* politicians/elite to 'grant ' us plebs this opportunity.

I'm always saying that voting is stupid because no election will ever be decided by one vote.

In 15 years Hannan will still be around, and while it's regrettable he doesn't have a stronger media presence it's to fight the more important fight, touring Britain to talk directly to the electorate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 344
Original post by tanyapotter
I'm personally not taking the polls at face value, because god knows how wrong they were about the general election last year, but we'll see.

Sadly, even polls are starting to effect the economy.

The poll boost to the Vote Leave campaign sent the pound tumbling by up to 1.5 cents to below $1.44, adding to a decline of 2 cents last week and indicating the degree of pressure on the UK currency since the remain camp’s lead in the polls began to evaporate.

And this is just because of a POLL. Imagine what will happen to the value of the pound when we (heaven forbid) do leave?

How does the leave campaign explain this because I'm pretty sure they were claiming that the £ would increase in value.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jun/06/sterling-tumbles-polls-suggest-uk-heading-for-eu-exit-pound
(edited 7 years ago)
Incidentally ,today I saw a comment on The Times online in which someone ,in response to another poster,laid out 18 good things that the EU does or that makes membership a worthwhile thing.

I thanked him for his post and I was sincere. It certainly gave me food for thought.

And it made me wonder how on earth the remain campaign could have been so incredibly bad!?

The night before, I watched, open mouthed at times ,as three awful awful women spent much of the time either banging on and on and on about the NHS or simply having a go at Boris.

WHY could not one of them calmly and assuredly have mentioned at least 10 of the points this poster made?

I have little doubt that that 'debate' would have increased leaves vote.

The politicians who are criticising Farage seem almost blissfully unaware of how much they are disliked by a lot of people.

I see Tony Blair entering the fray now,lol.

These people just don't get it. They just don't. They just don't.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jammy Duel
In 15 years Hannan will still be around, and while it's regrettable he doesn't have a stronger media presence it's to fight the more important fight, touring Britain to talk directly to the electorate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I must say I've been really impressed by him.
Original post by moggis
Yes I must say I've been really impressed by him.

I hope at the very least he's at the Wembley debate given it is the most important by a mile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by moggis

Well I meant a more recent referendum, we have seen the demand for another Scottish Referendum already and it hasn't even been 2 years, what's preventing the same from happening here, David Cameron, who only 36% of the country voted for. I mean honestly the only positive thing for me about the EU is the idea that a United States of Europe would upset the bigoted Americans. Personally all the points for staying in haven't really drawn me, whereas leave has.
Reply 349
Original post by Azynyan
Well I meant a more recent referendum, we have seen the demand for another Scottish Referendum already and it hasn't even been 2 years, what's preventing the same from happening here, David Cameron, who only 36% of the country voted for. I mean honestly the only positive thing for me about the EU is the idea that a United States of Europe would upset the bigoted Americans. Personally all the points for staying in haven't really drawn me, whereas leave has.

Whilst a lot changes in fifteen years, on current standing I am hard pressed to imagine a prime minister, with the means of carrying the Commons, offering another referendum.

I think Cameron must be cursing he caved into part of his party/UKIP threat, if he wins he has a broken party, if he loses he is broken; you would need a PM who did not care about keeping his position and was not worried about his legacy, but given most of them have egos the size of a planet you would need a really rare beast;a sincere politician who is prepared to sacrifice him/her self for a belief.
Original post by Azynyan

There isn't serious demand for another Scottish, and next EU will be the best part of 20 years at least, unless they formally try for a federal Europe, which they know means brexit, but they won't care. Anyway, they will probably stick with a de facto federal Europe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
There isn't serious demand for another Scottish, and next EU will be the best part of 20 years at least, unless they formally try for a federal Europe, which they know means brexit, but they won't care. Anyway, they will probably stick with a de facto federal Europe

Posted from TSR Mobile

What will happen to people with European passports in Britain if Britain leaves EU?
Original post by Speedscarlet
What will happen to people with European passports in Britain if Britain leaves EU?

Not much, by convention. They have inhereted rights which convention suggests they will maintain. Beyond that there is simple logic of if we kick them out, and in retaliation the EU send back all the Britons, the result is rather severe for all parties.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 353
Original post by Azynyan

On the other hand, if Leave wins, there might be a referendum to go back in especially if the economy is badly affected and thousands lose their jobs.
12 days from the Referendum and the Leave campaign has a 10 point lead according to an exclusive The Independent poll :smile:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-poll-brexit-leave-campaign-10-point-lead-remain-boris-johnson-nigel-farage-david-a7075131.html

Sir James Dyson has pledged his support for Brexit too, which is handy.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36505735

It's looking good. :u:
Original post by Maker
On the other hand, if Leave wins, there might be a referendum to go back in especially if the economy is badly affected and thousands lose their jobs.

But the EU wouldn't accept UK back on the same terms as previously, especially if the UK was doing badly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
But the EU wouldn't accept UK back on the same terms as previously, especially if the UK was doing badly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Says who? the EU? The same people who accepted Greece into the Union?

:lol:
Original post by The Roast
Says who? the EU? The same people who accepted Greece into the Union?

:lol:

The UK currently has preferential terms compared to Greece. Not least the Rebate.

There's absolutely no way the EU would allow UK back in and reinstate the Rebate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
The UK currently has preferential terms compared to Greece. Not least the Rebate.

There's absolutely no way the EU would allow UK back in and reinstate the Rebate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They wouldn't dare. It's fearmongering - just like putting us "at the back of the queue" if we leave. We are one of the most important countries in Europe.
Hope so

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending