The Student Room Group

AQA Biology B2 - Unofficial Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

I have put what I think the questions were and shown how many marks they were for. it's NOT complete.1. Athlete Question - UPDATEDa)i) Anaerobic means respiration without oxygen [1 mark]ii) The athlete was running for 1.5 minutes. [1 mark]b) How do you know it was anaerobic respiration? The athlete produced lactic acid [1 mark]c) How does the flow of the blood help the athlete's muscles? ***How does a faster rate of blood flow help him to run?***Removes lactic acid, build up. Causes less fatigue. Supplies oxygen. [4 marks]2. Pond Weed QuestionPut the pond weed in the beaker,Fill the beaker with water.Move the light close to the pond weed,Count bubbles in one minute, / Measure oxygen producedNote down your results,Repeat experiment but move the light closer/further away from the pond weed each time.To make it a fair test, use same amount of water, use same length/volume of pond weed, time it for the same length.Question 2 notes: The answer could be any experiment to test how the amount of light intensity affects photosynthesis. The question stated that you did not have to write about the equipment pictured and it was just an example.[6 marks]3. Enzymes questionCircle Cytoplasm. [1 mark]What is an enzyme? [1 mark]An enzyme is a substance produced by a living organism which acts as a catalyst to bring about a specific biochemical reaction.Muscular tissue contracts and churns food in the stomach [2 marks]Epithelial tissue covers the stomach [1 mark]Glandular tissue secretes hormones and enzymes [3 marks]Rest of question is incomplete4. Plantains in the fieldTo improve their investigation: Use random sampling, take more samples. [3 marks]With the mean average question, people seemed to be getting either 10,100 or 160,000. Different answers I know but we are not sure which is right. [3 marks]Rest of question is incomplete5. Polydactyly Question - UPDATEDStem cells are undifferentiated stem cells that can potentially become any cell. [2 marks]***Why is better to use stem cells from umbilical cord than 4-day-old embryo?*** Embryo is potential human? [1 mark]***Why would using the child's own stem cells from umbilical cord NOT treat a disorder?*** Don't know the answer. [1 mark]Rest of question is incompleteThis question had a lot of parts to do with alleles but it was so long no one can really remember it.I am not sure if the following answer was on the polydactyly question but here are our redicted answers:Parents genotype: Genotype: mother: Bb father :BbParents phenotype: Both have brown hairGametes: Mother: XY Father: XXOffspring genotype: Brother: bb Sister: BbOffspring phenotype: Brother - red hair sister - brown hair [5 marks]How do you know the man is heterogeneous?He has B & b alleles. [3 marks]***What is probability his child will have polydactyly? 50% [1 mark]***
6. Removing bacteria from milk with catalase.Advantages: Catalysts can be reused [1 mark]Disadvantages: Enzymes can denature, Hydrogen Peroxide doesn't kill all the bacteria, It could mix with/stay in the milk which could be harmful to humans.These weren't the only ones but they're the ones I have seen posted the most. [1 mark]Rest of question is incomplete7. Meiosis & MitosisThe sperm cells were produced in the testes [1 mark] by Meiosis [1 mark]. The embryo divided by Mitosis. [1 mark]For the question about the size of each cell:6.6 13.2 6.63.3 [3 marks]Rest of question is incomplete8. FoxesHow can scientists prove the foxes originated from the same species?The scientists could breed 2 of the foxes and see if they produce fertile offspring. (Offspring which can reproduce) [2 marks]How are the foxes different species?Foxes, Geographical isolation. Adapted differently. Mutation, So unable to breed. Different species. [5 marks]Why were the foxes on the 3 islands varied but still the same species? [1 mark]The islands have similar conditions so the two species adapted similarly and were so similar they could still interbreed so were still of the same species.
1. Athlete Question - UPDATEDa)i) Anaerobic means respiration without oxygen [1 mark]ii) The athlete was running for 1.5 minutes. [1 mark]b) How do you know it was anaerobic respiration? The athlete produced lactic acid [1 mark]c) How does the flow of the blood help the athlete's muscles? ***How does a faster rate of blood flow help him to run?***Removes lactic acid, build up. Causes less fatigue. Supplies oxygen. [4 marks]2. Pond Weed QuestionPut the pond weed in the beaker,Fill the beaker with water.Move the light close to the pond weed,Count bubbles in one minute, / Measure oxygen producedNote down your results,Repeat experiment but move the light closer/further away from the pond weed each time.To make it a fair test, use same amount of water, use same length/volume of pond weed, time it for the same length.Question 2 notes: The answer could be any experiment to test how the amount of light intensity affects photosynthesis. The question stated that you did not have to write about the equipment pictured and it was just an example.[6 marks]3. Enzymes questionCircle Cytoplasm. [1 mark]What is an enzyme? [1 mark]An enzyme is a substance produced by a living organism which acts as a catalyst to bring about a specific biochemical reaction.Muscular tissue contracts and churns food in the stomach [2 marks]Epithelial tissue covers the stomach [1 mark]Glandular tissue secretes hormones and enzymes [3 marks]Rest of question is incomplete4. Plantains in the fieldTo improve their investigation: Use random sampling, take more samples. [3 marks]With the mean average question, people seemed to be getting either 10,100 or 160,000. Different answers I know but we are not sure which is right. [3 marks]Rest of question is incomplete5. Polydactyly Question - UPDATEDStem cells are undifferentiated stem cells that can potentially become any cell. [2 marks]
***Why is better to use stem cells from umbilical cord than 4-day-old embryo?*** Embryo is potential human? [1 mark]***Why would using the child's own stem cells from umbilical cord NOT treat a disorder?*** Don't know the answer. [1 mark]Rest of question is incompleteThis question had a lot of parts to do with alleles but it was so long no one can really remember it.I am not sure if the following answer was on the polydactyly question but here are our redicted answers:Parents genotype: Genotype: mother: Bb father :BbParents phenotype: Both have brown hairGametes: Mother: XY Father: XXOffspring genotype: Brother: bb Sister: BbOffspring phenotype: Brother - red hair sister - brown hair [5 marks]How do you know the man is heterogeneous?He has B & b alleles. [3 marks]***What is probability his child will have polydactyly? 50% [1 mark]***
6. Removing bacteria from milk with catalase.Advantages: Catalysts can be reused [1 mark]Disadvantages: Enzymes can denature, Hydrogen Peroxide doesn't kill all the bacteria, It could mix with/stay in the milk which could be harmful to humans.These weren't the only ones but they're the ones I have seen posted the most. [1 mark]Rest of question is incomplete7. Meiosis & MitosisThe sperm cells were produced in the testes [1 mark] by Meiosis [1 mark]. The embryo divided by Mitosis. [1 mark]For the question about the size of each cell:6.6 13.2 6.63.3 [3 marks]Rest of question is incomplete8. FoxesHow can scientists prove the foxes originated from the same species?The scientists could breed 2 of the foxes and see if they produce fertile offspring. (Offspring which can reproduce) [2 marks]How are the foxes different species?Foxes, Geographical isolation. Adapted differently. Mutation, So unable to breed. Different species. [5 marks]Why were the foxes on the 3 islands varied but still the same species? [1 mark]The islands have similar conditions so the two species adapted similarly and were so similar they could still interbreed so were still of the same species.
Original post by Anonymous4004
I hope they made the mark scheme that simple.

oh i wrote it produces digestive enzymes and hormones. + examples of the glands involved and the products
Original post by MahMah
I believe you would get marks.

Increasing the blood flow rate happens because the blood contains haemoglobin's which carry oxygen. The muscles needs the oxygen for respiration to release energy to allow the muscles to work and contract more efficenetly, thats why the blood flow rate increases because it tries to match the demand for oxgen required by the muscles.

Thats what I wrote anyway and mentionoing lactic acid for this question is actually quite irrelevant.

Thank goodness! I was really worried. Even if I don't get all the marks at least I will get some :-).
Original post by Naco88
↑↑↑ In the poll above, an answer like '> 30%' would mean between '30%' and '40%' ↑↑↑

Remember a question? Post your answers below.
Follow me and I will try and post the answers for the Chemistry and Physics exams on Wednesday and Friday.
I have received a ton of answers on Twitter (@NacoRBLX) and have added a lot more to this! Thanks to everyone who has and still is sending me answers! We have made a really good community on this post today and look out for the chemistry and physics threads on Wednesday and Friday! - Naco88This mark scheme is not official and was made purely from what we saw in the exam.

AQA B2 Higher - Unofficial Mark Scheme (Updated Regularly) (Should have the last few questions of foundation)

1. Athlete Question - UPDATED
a)
i) Anaerobic means respiration without oxygen
ii) The athlete was running for 1.5 minutes.
b) How do you know it was anaerobic respiration?
The athlete produced lactic acid
c) How does the flow of the blood help the athlete's muscles?
Removes lactic acid, build up. Causes less fatigue. Supplies oxygen.
2. Pond Weed Question

Put the pond weed in the beaker,

Fill the beaker with water.

Move the light close to the pond weed,

Count bubbles in one minute, / Measure oxygen produced

Note down your results,

Repeat experiment but move the light closer/further away from the pond weed each time.

To make it a fair test, use same amount of water, use same length/volume of pond weed, time it for the same length.

Question 2 notes: The answer could be any experiment to test how the amount of light intensity affects photosynthesis. The question stated that you did not have to write about the equipment pictured and it was just an example.
(6 marks)
3. Enzymes question
Circle Cytoplasm. (1 mark)
What is an enzyme? (2 marks)
An enzyme is a substance produced by a living organism which acts as a catalyst to bring about a specific biochemical reaction.

Muscular tissue contracts and churns food in the stomach

Epithelial tissue covers the stomach

Glandular tissue secretes hormones and enzymes

Rest of question is incomplete
4. Plantains in the field
To improve their investigation: Use random sampling, take more samples.
With the mean average question, people seemed to be getting either 10,100 or 160,000. Different answers I know but we are not sure which is right.

5. Polydactyly Question - UPDATED
Stem cells are undifferentiated stem cells that can potentially become any cell.
This question had a lot of parts to do with alleles but it was so long no one can really remember it.

I am not sure if the following answer was on the polydactyly question but here are our redicted answers:
Parents genotype: Genotype: mother: Bb father :Bb
Parents phenotype: Both have brown hair
Gametes: Mother: XY Father: XX
Offspring genotype: Brother: bb Sister: Bb
Offspring phenotype: Brother - red hair sister - brown hair

How do you know the man is heterogeneous?
He has B & b alleles.
6. Removing bacteria from milk with catalase.

Advantages: Catalysts can be reused

Disadvantages: Enzymes can denature, Hydrogen Peroxide doesn't kill all the bacteria, It could mix with/stay in the milk which could be harmful to humans.

These weren't the only ones but they're the ones I have seen posted the most.

7. Meiosis & Mitosis
The sperm cells were produced in the testes by Meiosis. The embryo divided by Mitosis.
For the question about the size of each cell:

8. Foxes
How can scientists prove the foxes originated from the same species?
The scientists could breed 2 of the foxes and see if they produce fertile offspring. (Offspring which can reproduce)
How are the foxes different species?
Foxes, Geographical isolation. Adapted differently. Mutation, So unable to breed. Different species.
Why were the foxes on the 3 islands varied but still the same species?
The islands have similar conditions so the two species adapted similarly and were so similar they could still interbreed so were still of the same species.
I am not sure what question these answers were for)
Know more answers? Please message me on twitter @NacoRBLX, thanks!

Note: The questions may not be in the right order.

This is a mix of my answers and those of the community but they are not guaranteed to be correct.
Grade Boundary Predictions

These are completely my predictions, we have decided that it was a fairly
easy paper so our boundaries are fairly high.

A* - 46 marks

A - 37 marks

B - 31 marks

C - 24 marks

Thanks for using my mark scheme : )

Would they still give you the mark if you spelt testes wrong?
In my opinion the rate of blood flow is wrong. It increases which helps the athletes muscles because more oxygenated blood is getting to the working muscles. Therefore more oxygen is available for respiration which releases energy to be used for muscles to contract
Thanks for this it was really helpful. If there are any questions you need to clarify. I think I can remember most of them
Original post by Jamesg2100
In my opinion the rate of blood flow is wrong. It increases which helps the athletes muscles because more oxygenated blood is getting to the working muscles. Therefore more oxygen is available for respiration which releases energy to be used for muscles to contract

I agree with you there, it has to be "more" everything. More blood reaching the cells which means more oxygen reaches the cells which means more respiration takes place transferring more energy
Original post by MahMah
I believe you would get marks.

Increasing the blood flow rate happens because the blood contains haemoglobin's which carry oxygen. The muscles needs the oxygen for respiration to release energy to allow the muscles to work and contract more efficenetly, thats why the blood flow rate increases because it tries to match the demand for oxgen required by the muscles.

Thats what I wrote anyway and mentionoing lactic acid for this question is actually quite irrelevant.

I wrote the exact same thing for this question, would it get full marks?
Original post by 11masanda002
I wrote the exact same thing for this question, would it get full marks?

That's what I wrote too- the question was quite ambiguously worded
Original post by mmgnaahk123
1. Athlete Question - UPDATEDa)i) Anaerobic means respiration without oxygen [1 mark]ii) The athlete was running for 1.5 minutes. [1 mark]b) How do you know it was anaerobic respiration? The athlete produced lactic acid [1 mark]c) How does the flow of the blood help the athlete's muscles? ***How does a faster rate of blood flow help him to run?***Removes lactic acid, build up. Causes less fatigue. Supplies oxygen. [4 marks]2. Pond Weed QuestionPut the pond weed in the beaker,Fill the beaker with water.Move the light close to the pond weed,Count bubbles in one minute, / Measure oxygen producedNote down your results,Repeat experiment but move the light closer/further away from the pond weed each time.To make it a fair test, use same amount of water, use same length/volume of pond weed, time it for the same length.Question 2 notes: The answer could be any experiment to test how the amount of light intensity affects photosynthesis. The question stated that you did not have to write about the equipment pictured and it was just an example.[6 marks]3. Enzymes questionCircle Cytoplasm. [1 mark]What is an enzyme? [1 mark]An enzyme is a substance produced by a living organism which acts as a catalyst to bring about a specific biochemical reaction.Muscular tissue contracts and churns food in the stomach [2 marks]Epithelial tissue covers the stomach [1 mark]Glandular tissue secretes hormones and enzymes [3 marks]Rest of question is incomplete4. Plantains in the fieldTo improve their investigation: Use random sampling, take more samples. [3 marks]With the mean average question, people seemed to be getting either 10,100 or 160,000. Different answers I know but we are not sure which is right. [3 marks]Rest of question is incomplete5. Polydactyly Question - UPDATEDStem cells are undifferentiated stem cells that can potentially become any cell. [2 marks]
***Why is better to use stem cells from umbilical cord than 4-day-old embryo?*** Embryo is potential human? [1 mark]***Why would using the child's own stem cells from umbilical cord NOT treat a disorder?*** Don't know the answer. [1 mark]Rest of question is incompleteThis question had a lot of parts to do with alleles but it was so long no one can really remember it.I am not sure if the following answer was on the polydactyly question but here are our redicted answers:Parents genotype: Genotype: mother: Bb father :BbParents phenotype: Both have brown hairGametes: Mother: XY Father: XXOffspring genotype: Brother: bb Sister: BbOffspring phenotype: Brother - red hair sister - brown hair [5 marks]How do you know the man is heterogeneous?He has B & b alleles. [3 marks]***What is probability his child will have polydactyly? 50% [1 mark]***

For the question on the role of epithilecal tissue i put that it covers the inside and outside of stomach AND breaks stomach acids or something like that, would i still get the mark or would i loose it for mentioning stomach acids?
Original post by Lucofthewoods
That's what I wrote too- the question was quite ambiguously worded

How many marks was it worth?
Original post by 11masanda002
How many marks was it worth?

4:/
For the question on 'how do you know the runner respired anaerobically' i put because there were high levels of glucose, i didn't mention the lactic acid. But i explained that the gylcogen has been converted into glucose to use and energy instead of oxygen, would this answer still count?
The 4 mark exercise question was about more oxygen and glucose etc to the muscles not lactic acid I think because the question said about how it helps the athlete to run faster
For the hydrogen peroxide question I said a disadvantage is that people should have a choice, is that ok?
Original post by Lucofthewoods
4:/

The question on stomach and muscle tissue was 3 marks but I believe the epithelial tissue was 1 or 2
Reply 477
Original post by LiamCollins
Would they still give you the mark if you spelt testes wrong?

I think it is also spelt as testies so if you spelt it like that then yes.
I'm really worried about my 6 marker about the pondweed, I didn't mention anything about a beaker nor did I mention anything about bubbles :frown: I wrote about transects:frown:
I said genitals instead testes, would they still give me the mark?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending