The Student Room Group

UNOFFICIAL MARKSCHEME Edexcel Maths Calculator paper 09/06/2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hamza772000
Sorry, but the answer is in fact 3.8 because when you put the 3.75 in to the calculation the answer is smaller than the one the question was looking for, therefore the number should be rounded up to 3.8 to give the correct answer to 1 d.p. :smile:

Check this video out for real proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF8e2nN-L3E

That guy answer is wrong and also he got other questions wrong too, evidence look at 0:13
Paper 2 was so calm i think i got around 92 dropping 6 mark on the last question wtf was that. But on paper 1 i think i got about 63 it was so hard no easy questions 😭 ill probarbly settle for an A
Could anyone reply or give me something to work with?
Original post by Ikilliloot
That guy answer is wrong and also he got other questions wrong too, evidence look at 0:13

Please ask your maths teacher, then hopefully you will realise why it is 3.8. You clearly do not understand the rounding up/ rounding down process
Reply 2164
Original post by DrPeter
Please ask your maths teacher, then hopefully you will realise why it is 3.8. You clearly do not understand the rounding up/ rounding down process

He does understand it. There are two different methods for trial and improvement. One involved 3.75 and the other doesn't. Both are usually accepted in the mark scheme so I can't see why they won't both be this time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Marking really harshly, I got 67 and 74 which equals to 141. Is that enough for an A?!?!?
Reply 2166
Original post by MovedMasterMike
Marking really harshly, I got 67 and 74 which equals to 141. Is that enough for an A?!?!?

Yes, but only just. If you've marked harshly. You are above the kind of stuck on mark. What I mean by this is that sometimes the exam board are harsh in that they put the grade boundary just higher than the mark that most people of that grade got. For example, in Nov 2015, me and several other people from my school got marks between 163 and 166 and the grade boundary for A* was 167. But 141 is well above this. Good luck! Nothing's for certain.
Original post by ad4m
He does understand it. There are two different methods for trial and improvement. One involved 3.75 and the other doesn't. Both are usually accepted in the mark scheme so I can't see why they won't both be this time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree that there are two (and more) methods but they all give the final answer 3.8 !!!
Reply 2168
Original post by DrPeter
I agree that there are two (and more) methods but they all give the final answer 3.8 !!!

That's where you're incorrect. Completing the number line method gives you 3.7 due to the value of this being closer to 34 than that of 3.8.
1465633305891-1784222836.jpg
I shouldn't be doing this so early on a Saturday
Can you do foundation
Original post by Ikilliloot
Okay fine you think he's wrong, please have a go at the question again yourself. Hope this clears your misunderstandings. :smile:
x^3-5x=34
Original post by hamza772000
Okay fine you think he's wrong, please have a go at the question again yourself. Hope this clears your misunderstandings. :smile:
x^3-5x=34

Is it 3.8 or not

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Usmaan345
Is it 3.8 or not

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's 3.8.
The two questions near the end, The algebraic fractions. Would you get full marks if you left the first one in the form ...... 3-x / (x-3)(3x + 4)? It was only a two mark question and seems a bit unrealistic to expect people to factorise the quadratic and then risk multiplying by -1, just for 2 marks.
The next one asked for the fraction to be given in the simplest form. i left it as 2x/ (x-1)(x+1) as oppose to expanding the denominator brackets to x^2 + 1, is that less "simple"?

Anybody know why the "tom is 1.80m" question was worth 3 marks? i dont see anything else you can do other than times 1.80 by 1.45.

one last one. On Collins expenses, how many marks would be lost by forgetting to add the parking charge? out of 5 marks.
Original post by Barnewell
or 80.1 we are having a school debate, you couldd say a maths debate

I got 80.1
It is 3.8, as 3.7 is too small, 3.8 is too big and 3.75 is too small. I just double checked it myself. All of my grade A/A* students got 3.8. It was very close to 3.75 (and that trial gets you a mark) so if anyone just looked at it and guessed rather than trialling the value in the middle (or if trialled 3.76 or above) they may have come to the conclusion it it 3.7.
Original post by jacksparrow1111
The two questions near the end, The algebraic fractions. Would you get full marks if you left the first one in the form ...... 3-x / (x-3)(3x + 4)? It was only a two mark question and seems a bit unrealistic to expect people to factorise the quadratic and then risk multiplying by -1, just for 2 marks.
The next one asked for the fraction to be given in the simplest form. i left it as 2x/ (x-1)(x+1) as oppose to expanding the denominator brackets to x^2 + 1, is that less "simple"?

Anybody know why the "tom is 1.80m" question was worth 3 marks? i dont see anything else you can do other than times 1.80 by 1.45.

one last one. On Collins expenses, how many marks would be lost by forgetting to add the parking charge? out of 5 marks.

I wrote the full number ( I think it was £42. ?????????????) As opposed to doing it to 4sf, how many marks would I get out of 5
Crap I think I've lost 14-16 marks on paper 2 😩😩😩 I needed to get about 85 cos I made loads of mistakes on paper 1 and the lowest i probably got on paper 1 was 79😑😑 I just hope the boundaries for an A* aren't higher than 160 ish. I know this exam was pretty easy but still I made more mistakes than I've ever done
Original post by Usmaan345
Is it 3.8 or not

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep, 3.8. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest