The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ecasx
Let arctanA + arctanB = arctanC. Then taking tangents implies that C = (A+B)/(1-AB). This is the forward implication.

Therefore C = tan(arctanA + arctanB). Taking inverse tangents, we want arctanC = arctan ( tan (arctanA + arctanB ) ) = arctanA + arctanB. In general, arctan (tan x) = x if and only if - pi/2 < x < pi/2. So this equation holds if and only if -pi/2 < arctanA + arctanB < pi/2. Now, it is a fact that for A =/= 0, arctanA + arctan1/A = pi/2. Since arctan is strictly increasing, we require B < 1/A to keep arctanA + arctanB within our range.

Indeed, if A is positive, the condition AB < 1 suffices, because arctanA + arctanB > -pi/2. Likewise if B is positive. We now consider A,B both negative. arctan is odd, so arctanA + arctanB = - (arctan(-A) + arctan(-B)). Note that -A and -B are positive numbers. Our range is again - pi/2 < arctan(-A) + arctan(-B) < pi/2, the same as before. The lower inequality holds true, the upper inequality is true iff -B < 1/(-A) giving us AB < 1 again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It should be noted that this is only true for A>0. It's π2-\dfrac{\pi}{2} if A<0.
Reply 761
Original post by Ecasx
Let arctanA + arctanB = arctanC. Then taking tangents implies that C = (A+B)/(1-AB). This is the forward implication.

Therefore C = tan(arctanA + arctanB). Taking inverse tangents, we want arctanC = arctan ( tan (arctanA + arctanB ) ) = arctanA + arctanB. In general, arctan (tan x) = x if and only if - pi/2 < x < pi/2. So this equation holds if and only if -pi/2 < arctanA + arctanB < pi/2. Now, it is a fact that for A =/= 0, arctanA + arctan1/A = pi/2. Since arctan is strictly increasing, we require B < 1/A to keep arctanA + arctanB within our range.

Indeed, if A is positive, the condition AB < 1 suffices, because arctanA + arctanB > -pi/2. Likewise if B is positive. We now consider A,B both negative. arctan is odd, so arctanA + arctanB = - (arctan(-A) + arctan(-B)). Note that -A and -B are positive numbers. Our range is again - pi/2 < arctan(-A) + arctan(-B) < pi/2, the same as before. The lower inequality holds true, the upper inequality is true iff -B < 1/(-A) giving us AB < 1 again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting, thanks!
Reply 762
Original post by IrrationalRoot
It should be noted that this is only true for A>0. It's π2-\dfrac{\pi}{2} if A<0.

Ah yes, thank you. Luckily this doesn't affect my reasoning when taking A or B > 0, and in the case A,B < 0 I have implicitly used this fact.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there actually any worth in doing the most recent papers, or would it be better use of time to say do 2000-2005 instead of 2010-1015? I don't expect them to be repeating any questions from the last 5 years, but I can also guess that newer papers may have a different style?
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Is there actually any worth in doing the most recent papers, or would it be better use of time to say do 2000-2005 instead of 2010-1015? I don't expect them to be repeating any questions from the last 5 years, but I can also guess that newer papers may have a different style?

I wouldn't base your practice on the chance of them repeating questions.
It is certainly better to do the newest papers, they are different in some ways.

preparing for STEP isn't like a level where questions repeat every year it's a practicing for any question to come up because you have problem solving skills
I wouldn't base your practice on the chance of them repeating questions.
It is certainly better to do the newest papers, they are different in some ways.

Original post by Number Nine
preparing for STEP isn't like a level where questions repeat every year it's a practicing for any question to come up because you have problem solving skills

It's hard for me to get motivation when I'm only building up general skills as opposed to directly learning something I'll be tested on. That's gotta be the toughest thing about STEP revision for me, finding the motivation when there's a good chance what I'm doing at any one second won't help at all. It's a much more lengthy process, progress is slow etc. Especially when you're used to how "rewarding" GCSE/ A Level revision is, in terms of learning what you'll actually be tested on, STEP takes it's toll there. I understand though, guess I'll do the more recent ones. Thanks guys!
It's hard for me to get motivation when I'm only building up general skills as opposed to directly learning something I'll be tested on. That's gotta be the toughest thing about STEP revision for me, finding the motivation when there's a good chance what I'm doing at any one second won't help at all. It's a much more lengthy process, progress is slow etc. Especially when you're used to how "rewarding" GCSE/ A Level revision is, in terms of learning what you'll actually be tested on, STEP takes it's toll there. I understand though, guess I'll do the more recent ones. Thanks guys!

not long to go now and youll be at cambridge is that not motivation enough
not long to go now and youll be at cambridge is that not motivation enough

Lool nah I already know I'll not be able to hit my offer (but might still get in as it's a comp sci offer w/ maths) but I want to at least do decent out of pride. And I'm not going to lie STEP is way more enjoyable to me than doing a C3 or C4 past paper, so I just take certain questions for that too. STEP isn't too bad, it's just incredibly difficult.

Yep what can happen with STEP is that you do really well in practice but still flop your actual exams (generally unlike A-Levels etc.). By practising you're increasing your chances of doing well but there's still no guarantee since the examiners try hard to make the questions original (I know there are a few striking exceptions lol) every year, it could just be a bad paper for you and you don't see the solutions etc.

The most important thing is not that you have done a lot of questions so that 'there's a chance one of them might come up' but that you've gained a good understanding of all the content and become very good at problem solving and can apply these skills to unfamiliar questions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yep what can happen with STEP is that you do really well in practice but still flop your actual exams (generally unlike A-Levels etc.). By practising you're increasing your chances of doing well but there's still no guarantee since the examiners try hard to make the questions original (I know there are a few striking exceptions lol) every year, it could just be a bad paper for you and you don't see the solutions etc.

The most important thing is not that you have done a lot of questions so that 'there's a chance one of them might come up' but that you've gained a good understanding of all the content and become very good at problem solving and can apply these skills to unfamiliar questions.

Fair play mate, good points you make. Yeah my results are too scattered in STEP, one day I'll get a 1 the next I'll get a 3 not even going to lie it's infruriating. At this point I just want 2's, because although I'd miss my offer I wouldn't consider that a failure if my results were at least 2,2,2
Fair play mate, good points you make. Yeah my results are too scattered in STEP, one day I'll get a 1 the next I'll get a 3 not even going to lie it's infruriating. At this point I just want 2's, because although I'd miss my offer I wouldn't consider that a failure if my results were at least 2,2,2

What are your offers?

Questions don't repeat, but I think there are lots of techniques that come up repeatedly, things like solving series of the form nx^n by viewing them as derivatives in pure, or tree diagrams loop round back to the start in stats.
Original post by TheWiseMan
What are your offers?

Cam want A*A*A + 1,2 in STEP II and III for Comp Sci w/ Maths
Then UCL A*AA just incase, like what's almost happened, I put way too much effort into STEP and get nowhere, holding back my A level grades.
(edited 7 years ago)
Cam want A*A*A + 1,2 in STEP II and III
Then UCL A*AA just incase, like what's almost happened, I put way too much effort into STEP and get nowhere, holding back my A level grades.

Cambridge offer is quite hard just for compsci w/maths
I understand your struggle. Good Luck with your offer!

My offers are much easier:
Imperial: A*AA + 2 in STEP 1
UCL: A*AA
I'm sitting all three STEP papers because I might want to change to JMC
Original post by TheWiseMan
Cambridge offer is quite hard just for compsci w/maths
I understand your struggle. Good Luck with your offer!

My offers are much easier:
Imperial: A*AA + 2 in STEP 1
UCL: A*AA
I'm sitting all three STEP papers because I might want to change to JMC

I applied to JMC, looked like an amazing course.

But because Imperial think they're way better than they are, they gave me an A*A*AA offer, meaning I had to reject it. They really are a bit silly there.
Everytime I look at a STEP solution my first reaction is always "Well how on earth did you decide to do that". STEP is 99% intuition.
Everytime I look at a STEP solution my first reaction is always "Well how on earth did you decide to do that". STEP is 99% intuition.

It helps doing all the papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 778

It does seem very daunting at first, but after enough practice, your first reaction becomes "well why on earth would you do that, my method is better!" :lol:
Original post by Zacken
It does seem very daunting at first, but after enough practice, your first reaction becomes "well why on earth would you do that, my method is better!" :lol:

Nah Zacken only you would react like that :P

Although I have a couple times thought my method was better than the one of the TSR solutions, but I never would consider arguing it incase I made a mistake :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending