Question 8c
Thank you
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464609010.799281.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

What have you tried? :h:
Reply 63
Original post by tazza ma razza
is there a 2016 ial for s2?

Yes. It was the paper I sat in January. (71 for an A* lol)
Original post by Zacken
Yes. It was the paper I sat in January. (71 for an A* lol)

easy paper then?
Anyone have a link for the Jan 16 IAL S2 mark scheme??
Is anyone else also doing fp3 on the same day? Which exam are you going for first? I'm not sure myself yet, S2 is easier so after doing well in it I'd have the peace of mind and concentrate more easily on FP3. On the other hand FP3 requires more focus and lots of processing power so it would also be a good choice to start off with it...
Original post by John Fluffy Bunny
Is anyone else also doing fp3 on the same day? Which exam are you going for first? I'm not sure myself yet, S2 is easier so after doing well in it I'd have the peace of mind and concentrate more easily on FP3. On the other hand FP3 requires more focus and lots of processing power so it would also be a good choice to start off with it...

I had two sets of exams that had to be sat in one sitting - FP2 and M1, and S4 and D1. I guess the most similar example to your situation would be the FP2/M1 combination - I sat M1 first and did really well in it - it had all of my attention and I didn't make any mistakes (if I did, I picked up on them while double checking answers and it was fine). I had a 5-10 minute break before starting FP2 and I felt a bit knackered to be honest and things didn't go as well as they should have :redface:.

I think, if your S2 goes to AS FM or A-level maths instead of A2 FM then it's probably worth doing FP3 first.
Original post by SeanFM
I had two sets of exams that had to be sat in one sitting - FP2 and M1, and S4 and D1. I guess the most similar example to your situation would be the FP2/M1 combination - I sat M1 first and did really well in it - it had all of my attention and I didn't make any mistakes (if I did, I picked up on them while double checking answers and it was fine). I had a 5-10 minute break before starting FP2 and I felt a bit knackered to be honest and things didn't go as well as they should have :redface:.

I think, if your S2 goes to AS FM or A-level maths instead of A2 FM then it's probably worth doing FP3 first.

They both go to A2 further maths, you've got a point though I can be a little bit knackered and still successfully push through S2 as its not as mentally demanding. Will make sure to double check my working for errors though :tongue:
Original post by John Fluffy Bunny

Well i'm resitting s2, (76 ums last year) and i'm doing s2 first. i didn't get a say in it though.
Original post by economicss

Consider the longer length as well. For the shorter length of string to be less than or equal to 8 cm, how long does the longer piece of string have to be?
Original post by NotNotBatman
Consider the longer length as well. For the shorter length of string to be less than or equal to 8 cm, how long does the longer piece of string have to be?

It would have to be greater than or equal to 12cm? What formula would I use to work out this probability please? Thanks :smile:
It would have to be greater than or equal to 12cm? What formula would I use to work out this probability please? Thanks :smile:

The probability is the area of the rectangle of the pdf.
Original post by NotNotBatman
The probability is the area of the rectangle of the pdf.

Thank you! :smile:
Please could anyone explain exercise F question 9d https://e65fdd8e284b1b30364eb57e5b56f435806edbe6.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYQ3pBZmVmWndBTHM/CH2.pdf I really can't understand the calculation on solutions bank, thanks :smile:
Please could anyone explain exercise F question 9d https://e65fdd8e284b1b30364eb57e5b56f435806edbe6.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYQ3pBZmVmWndBTHM/CH2.pdf I really can't understand the calculation on solutions bank, thanks :smile:

P(AB)=P(AB)P(B)P(A | B) = \frac{P(A \cap B)}{P(B)}
Reply 77
Hey guys can anyone please help?

s2help.PNG

I have gotten as far as 9X + 3X^2 > 0
But am stuck on how the answer is 1/3
Please help!! xx
Reply 78
Original post by SeanFM
Up to which point do you understand?

It starts with E(R) = E(aX^2 + bX) = aE(X^2) + bE(X) using laws of expectation.

Hey I thought the rule was aE(X) + b ?
Could you please tell me how you've got aE(x^2) and bE(X) instead?
Original post by keres
Hey I thought the rule was aE(X) + b ?
Could you please tell me how you've got aE(x^2) and bE(X) instead?

Expectation of a sum is the sum of the expectations.

E(aX + b) = E(aX) +E(b) = aE(x) + b, using linearity of expectation and that E(constant) = constant.

Same applies to E(aX^2 + bX). It doesn't turn into aE(X) + b, though.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending