The Student Room Group

What's more important, liberty or equality?

Scroll to see replies

it's a false dichotomy. Liberty for the few is no liberty worth fighting for.
Liberty, as it acts as the catalyst for equality. If everyone is free then no one is constrained by the barriers of racism, poverty, dictatorship etc.
Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. The founding fathers of America knew :smile:
Equality. Liberty is overrated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KingBradly
Which is more important, liberty or equality? Lots of freedom for all, or compromising freedoms in-order to make society more equal? Individualism or collectivism? Anarchy or authoritarianism? Most of us lie somewhere in-between, but I think when push comes to shove, when we get down to the nitty-gritty, we'd all favour one over the other. Which do you hold more dear?

Will take liberty thank you.

F*** being equal to all the peasants and cretins on this site.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Liberty all the way.

As for equality, I gather that you mean equality of outcome. That I don't believe to be important, or at least that it should not be manufactured by forcefully redistributing wealth and curtailing liberty. Maintaining equal rights under the law is paramount too, however.
Original post by TrueDetective01
Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. The founding fathers of America knew :smile:

I disagree. Equality is a pipe-dream, and in the Declaration of Independence, the founding fathers wrote "all men are created equal"...but equality comes at the cost of liberty.
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
I disagree. Equality is a pipe-dream, and in the Declaration of Independence, the founding fathers wrote "all men are created equal"...but equality comes at the cost of liberty.

Yes, I do know equality is a pipe-dream :smile:
Equality is unobtainable, we should simply give people the power to act and try to get themselves as far as they can go.
It seems self-defeating in that to treat everyone identically would probably have an unequal impact on different cultures, thus neglecting its own purpose. By treating everyone the same, some are inevitably favoured.

My 2 Cents
Original post by KingBradly
Which is more important, liberty or equality? Lots of freedom for all, or compromising freedoms in-order to make society more equal? Individualism or collectivism? Anarchy or authoritarianism? Most of us lie somewhere in-between, but I think when push comes to shove, when we get down to the nitty-gritty, we'd all favour one over the other. Which do you hold more dear?

Liberty obv... :drool: ...

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending