The Student Room Group

I'm Fasting - AMA

Okay so its the month of Ramadan and I currently have to fast for 18 hours, If anyone has any questions feel free to ask :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Fellow Muslim here. How do you not feel exhausted by the 15/16 hour mark. My issue isn't the hunger but the exhaustion?
Original post by pinkrox22310
Okay so its the month of Ramadan and I currently have to fast for 18 hours, If anyone has any questions feel free to ask :smile:
Why do you fast? What is the purpose of it and what do you gain as a Muslim?

Are you doing exams? And is it true you can't drink water?:s-smilie:
Original post by Jordan_Gene

The main purpose of fasting is self-humiliation and self-control. Restraining from food shows us how grateful we should be in comparison to less fortunate people around the world who aren't lucky enough to have food.
Original post by AlphaWolfZ
Fellow Muslim here. How do you not feel exhausted by the 15/16 hour mark. My issue isn't the hunger but the exhaustion?

Honestly I do feel exhausted during that time so I try to get things done earlier in the day. You can't really do anything about the exahustion i would say sleep for an hour or two because your body needs the rest
Also remember that the exhaustion is part of the test so inshAllah you can get through it all.
Fasting is a lot worse when your studying for exams
What's the hardest part of it? Like is the no food or no water part the worst?
Also are you doing it "properly" ie no swearing or anything either?
How old were you the first time you fasted?
i hungry.
Reply 9
Original post by AlphaWolfZ
The main purpose of fasting is self-humiliation and self-control. Restraining from food shows us how grateful we should be in comparison to less fortunate people around the world who aren't lucky enough to have food.

Eating every midnight defeats the objective, as the unfortunates don't feast at midnight....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jordan_Gene

Fasting is done to experience how people in LEDC survive without going days or weeks without food (even though we do it for 18 hours) its to put ourselves in their shoes and be more grateful for what we have. Honestly it is a blessing because you realise how lucky you really are at the end of the day when you have food to eat after those hours of fasting you remember those children and adults who dont.

It also helps us gain Taqwa (God consciousness) It is that time of the month where Allah (God) forgives our sins and even if we turn away from him all 11 months but practice during this time he is the most forgiving. We are able to connect with Allah and refrain from many things which break our fast so we can focus on our religion. It helps us gain that connecting with God.

As a Muslim I would say I gain a lot during this month. It helps me realise how grateful I am to be living the life I am living and honestly I'm not the most religious person but this month is so peaceful and so pure that it allows me to realise how truly Thankful I am. Basically making me feel content and closer to my religion.
Original post by romansholiday

Yeah. I'm taking my GSCES this year.
We can't drink or eat anything not even water :smile:
Original post by romansholiday

It is true, we can't drink water.
Original post by Raizelcadres
Fasting is a lot worse when your studying for exams

This is true to an extent but it really is not that bad if you start earlier in the day and don't think about it too much.
some advice for those who are fasting...
have cornflakes for suhur
I swear to God, it helps ALOT
you wouldn't feel half as hungry as you are without it I'm telling you
hell you'd even forget you're fasting because of how not-hungry you are

Spoiler

Do you think everyone not fasting will go to hell?
Yeah. I'm taking my GSCES this year.
We can't drink or eat anything not even water :smile:

You must really struggle! I didn't eat anything yesterday (because I threw up twice as I was nervous for my Bio exam) and my stomach was SOOO LOUD in the exam omg.

I hope your God is bringing you strength :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NiamhM1801
What's the hardest part of it? Like is the no food or no water part the worst?
Also are you doing it "properly" ie no swearing or anything either?
How old were you the first time you fasted?

The hardest part well people are different and for me I think its the thirst on days where its very hot but the hunger like an hour left till I can break my fast. I don't really feel it during the day :smile:
Yeah I'm trying my best to refrain from listening to music and swearing its going good so far.
when i first started fasting I was 14 (You are meant to start fasting when you hit puberty for guys and start ur period for girls)
Not able to drink water?! That is incredibly dangerous - not drinking for 18 hours straight, for an entire month, during the Summer, when in the UK alone it's 20 degrees? Ok, fast if you want to, but don't put yourself in such danger; what is the need for that.
Original post by SMEGGGY
Eating every midnight defeats the objective, as the unfortunates don't feast at midnight....

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't see how it defeats the purpose without eating anything for the whole day we'll be completely finished but I do understand what you mean, However the time where we don't eat we really do remember the less fortunate

Quick Reply

Latest