The Student Room Group

D1 - scheduling WITHOUT a gantt chart??

Hi guys - there's one thing in D1 i just always get wrong. This being scheduling, without a gantt chart (or with a gantt chart for that matter I'm just awful at it)

But how would I go about doing this question? Part D (without drawing a gantt chart!!)

Please help!!
Without drawing out the Gantt chart, it requires a bit of trial and error.
Reply 2
Original post by Katiee224
Without drawing out the Gantt chart, it requires a bit of trial and error.

I'm sure there's another way..
@kingaaran
Reply 3
@Ayman! @Zacken

Do you guys know anyone who'd be able to offer help? Thanks!
Aaaand this is why I hate d1. I never even do these types of questions until the end. It's not worth the time and effort. I just focus on aceing the rest and anything I get in scheduling is effectively bonus marks. It's ****ing baffling how there's STILL basically trial and error questions in A level maths.
Reply 5
@SeanFM do you know anyone who could help? getting desperate here!! @HarunH1 @NoahMal ???????????????
Original post by iMacJack
Hi guys - there's one thing in D1 i just always get wrong. This being scheduling, without a gantt chart (or with a gantt chart for that matter I'm just awful at it)

But how would I go about doing this question? Part D (without drawing a gantt chart!!)

Please help!!

Not as far as I'm aware.. just plan it out in a way that makes sense. There's a rule in the book to do with picking the earliest latest finish time, but apart from that, there's no magic trick. Sorry.

There are multiple solutions and even if you get 1-2 things wrong, you can still get most of the marks.
Reply 7
Would It be a good Idea to split the chart that we are given into two, then at the top draw the gantt chart at the bottom draw the scheduling. After doing this crossing out the gantt chart and pretending its an "error". Cheers @kingaaran @iMacJack @Zacken @Arsey @SeanFM @Katiee224 @JDonovan @lucabrasi98
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NoahMal
Would It be a good Idea to split the chart that we are given into two, then at the top draw the gantt chart at the bottom draw the scheduling. After doing this crossing out the gantt chart and pretending its an "error". Cheers @kingaaran @iMacJack @Zacken @Arsey @SeanFM @Katiee224 @JDonovan

I'm not familiar with how mark scheme works, but I'd highly doubt that you'd lose marks for drawing a gantt chart first.

The thing to note is that D1 is a very time consuming exam (I had maybe 2 mins to double check everything at the end, though I checked each question after I did it) so whether you'd have time to do that.. :dontknow:

I think.. just practice drawing them without it (questions from past papers etc) and that's all you can do. Not the end of the world if you don't get it completely right - marks are awarded rather generously if I remember correctly.
Reply 9
Original post by SeanFM
I'm not familiar with how mark scheme works, but I'd highly doubt that you'd lose marks for drawing a gantt chart first.

The thing to note is that D1 is a very time consuming exam (I had maybe 2 mins to double check everything at the end, though I checked each question after I did it) so whether you'd have time to do that.. :dontknow:

I think.. just practice drawing them without it (questions from past papers etc) and that's all you can do. Not the end of the world if you don't get it completely right - marks are awarded rather generously if I remember correctly.

That's where you're wrong, it will be the end of the world if we don't get it completely right because its F***ing D1. Made by 4 year olds pr**ks called Kruskal,Djikstra and Prim. They literally sat there and **** out Liner programming while fisting themselves attempting to make order numbers. Here list these in descending order 3,1,5,3,1,54,7,3,5,3,6,4,3,7,8,9,6,7,5,7,4,3,2,34,6,4,8,4,7,8,4,4,5,7,4,2,2,5,7,9,9,88,7,5,44. (1 Mark).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NoahMal
That's where you're wrong, it will be the end of the world if we don't get it completely right because its F***ing D1. Made by 4 year olds pr**ks called Kruskal,Djikstra and Prim. They literally sat there and **** out Liner programming while fisting themselves attempting to make order numbers. Here list these in descending order 3,1,5,3,1,54,7,3,5,3,6,4,3,7,8,9,6,7,5,7,4,3,2,34,6,4,8,4,7,8,4,4,5,7,4,2,2,5,7,9,9,88,7,5,44. (1 Mark).

If you ever get the chance, read this book called 'why do buses come in threes?'. It will make you appreciate maths and is interesting to read. :lol:
Original post by SeanFM
If you ever get the chance, read this book called 'why do buses come in threes?'. It will make you appreciate maths and is interesting to read. :lol:

Nah I'd rather Find out how many apples and plum trees jonny needs for his forest. #D1Bants
Allocate the critical activities to worker 1. Then add activities with the lowest latest finishing time.
Reply 13
Original post by NotNotBatman
Allocate the critical activities to worker 1. Then add activities with the lowest latest finishing time.

Ok I get the critical path bit but could you explain the other bit further please?

PS: Apologies for late reply!
Original post by iMacJack
Ok I get the critical path bit but could you explain the other bit further please?

PS: Apologies for late reply!

When deciding which activity to schedule consider the one with the least latest finish time (bottom box) first, it said it somewhere in the textbook or in a video I watched, I can't remember. But what I do remember is that scheduling was confusing until I used that method.
Original post by NotNotBatman
When deciding which activity to schedule consider the one with the least latest finish time (bottom box) first, it said it somewhere in the textbook or in a video I watched, I can't remember. But what I do remember is that scheduling was confusing until I used that method.

This is for scheduling for without a Gantt chart right? would it be possible to find the video?
Original post by NoahMal
This is for scheduling for without a Gantt chart right? would it be possible to find the video?

Search 'UKmathsteacher Scheduling' on YouTube. I don't think it was specifically about scheduling without Gantt charts, but it did help.
Do you think it's worth drawing out all the activities on the gantt chart first before working it out for the minimum number of workers?

or is this a waste of time? as I know d1 is quite time consuming :afraid:
Original post by NoahMal

hmmmm sounds like you will be making the D1 Hitler vid this year :teehee:

Quick Reply

Latest