The Student Room Group

S1 - Probability

I have literally done as many probability questions as I can but I STILL seem to get them wrong :/ I don't know what I'm doing wrong
How do you know whether to use a Venn diagram or the rules of probability. I know sometimes they go hand in hand but sometimes they just dont work out.
Example: Q7, January 2014 (IAL) paper.
I got everything right in this paper except for this probability question where I got no marks. I tried to use a Venn diagram :/ why was I wrong for doing that?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Someboady
I have literally done as many probability questions as I can but I STILL seem to get them wrong :/ I don't know what I'm doing wrong
How do you know whether to use a Venn diagram or the rules of probability. I know sometimes they go hand in hand but sometimes they just dont work out.
Example: Q7, January 2014 (IAL) paper.
I got everything right in this paper except for this probability question where I got no marks. I tried to use a Venn diagram :/ why was I wrong for doing that?

Please post a link or picture of the question - saves people hassle :tongue:

Is it possible that you're drawing or misinterpreting things for the Venn diagram?
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
Please post a link or picture of the question - saves people hassle :tongue:

Is it possible that you're drawing or misinterpreting things for the Venn diagram?

Yes I didn't draw the diagram correctly
Also I interpreted 1/5 of male students are left handed as P(M AND L) rather than P(L|M)
Yes I didn't draw the diagram correctly
Also I interpreted 1/5 of male students are left handed as P(M AND L) rather than P(L|M)

Yes.. there you go :tongue: P(M and L) = 1/5 would mean that 1 fifth of all students are male and left handed, whereas P(L given M) = 1/5 means that.. well, you know what it means :
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
Yes.. there you go :tongue: P(M and L) = 1/5 would mean that 1 fifth of all students are male and left handed, whereas P(L given M) = 1/5 means that.. well, you know what it means :

Ah yes thank you. Problem is I'd make that mistake in an exam -_- ... I keep losing marks to Probability questions -_- Sometimes I get them and sometimes I dont....
Ah yes thank you. Problem is I'd make that mistake in an exam -_- ... I keep losing marks to Probability questions -_- Sometimes I get them and sometimes I dont....

It is difficult.. just underline the information given, write it down in terms of probability notation, and.. practice as many questions as you can to get the hang of it. It's definitely the most difficult part of S1.
Reply 6
Original post by SeanFM
It is difficult.. just underline the information given, write it down in terms of probability notation, and.. practice as many questions as you can to get the hang of it. It's definitely the most difficult part of S1.

Thanks! I'll try my best
Quick question:
Is P(A n B) ' (i.e. not A and B) the same as P (A' n B':wink: (i.e not A and Not B)

If not, what is it the same as?
EDIT: And how can you figure it out in an exam (i.e. derive it)
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks! I'll try my best
Quick question:
Is P(A n B) ' (i.e. not A and B) the same as P (A' n B':wink: (i.e not A and Not B)

No

P(A u B)' = P(a' n b')
Reply 8
Original post by iMacJack
No

P(A u B)' = P(a' n b':wink:

Is this derivable in any way? or just something you can figure out via common sense and a venn diagram lol. thats how I figured it out but idk if i can do it in an exam
Is this derivable in any way? or just something you can figure out via common sense and a venn diagram lol. thats how I figured it out but idk if i can do it in an exam

It is common sense

P(aub) is the entirety of what's in both a and b, right? So p(aub)' is everything not in a and not in b, so the outside bit

P(a' n b') is the intersection between not in a, and not in b, which again is just the outside bit
Thanks! I'll try my best
Quick question:

Venn diagram to derive it. First shade the bit without the ' and then everything else is your ...'.

I would say P(A \cap B)^c is everything but the intersection of A and B, so P(A \cap B^c) + P(B \cap A^c) + P(A^c \cap B^c) but that's all a bit messy, and you'll find that you can express it as AcBcp A^c \cup B^c p (draw it and see for yourself).

There's something called De Morgan's law which is very easy to memorise - if you take the compliment of something, flip the bit in the middle (the U or the N) and add a complement to each event inside.

Reply 11
Original post by SeanFM
Venn diagram to derive it. First shade the bit without the ' and then everything else is your ...'.

I would say P(A \cap B)^c
is everything but the intersection of A and B, so P(A \cap B^c) + P(B \cap A^c) + P(A^c \cap B^c) but that's all a bit messy, and you'll find that you can express it as AcBcp A^c \cup B^c p (draw it and see for yourself).

There's something called De Morgan's law which is very easy to memorise - if you take the compliment of something, flip the bit in the middle (the U or the N) and add a complement to each event inside.

This was very useful thank you!

I had another question
maths3.png

Why is P(B|C) = 5/11 and not 0.2 as shown in the diagram o.0
This was very useful thank you!

I had another question
maths3.png

Why is P(B|C) = 5/11 and not 0.2 as shown in the diagram o.0

Because 0.2 = P(B intersect C).
Reply 13
Original post by SeanFM
Because 0.2 = P(B intersect C).

Yes but by observation.. if its B given C should it be the same as P(B n C) ? How is P(B|C) different to P( B n C) in this context? I understand that if B and C were independent P(B|C) = P(B n C) and in this case this is not true. BUT, by observation I would have thought P(B|C) was 0.2. Could you explain why its not?
Yes but by observation.. if its B given C should it be the same as P(B n C) ? How is P(B|C) different to P( B n C) in this context? I understand that if B and C were independent P(B|C) = P(B n C) and in this case this is not true. BUT, by observation I would have thought P(B|C) was 0.2. Could you explain why its not?

P(B given C) means, given that C has happened, what is the probbability of B having happened?

It should not be the same, for the very reason you stated. Otherwise there would be no point or use in conditional probability! The definition of P(B|C) = P(B N C) / P(C), which is like saying 'what percentage of C does B contain'?)
Reply 15
Original post by SeanFM
P(B given C) means, given that C has happened, what is the probbability of B having happened?

It should not be the same, for the very reason you stated. Otherwise there would be no point or use in conditional probability! The definition of P(B|C) = P(B N C) / P(C), which is like saying 'what percentage of C does B contain'?)

Ah thank you, so as a general rule I shouldn't rely on observation for Given that probabilities?

Also I had some trouble with these questions

Part f
In part f I don't understand how you know that P(X<5) is 0.8. I got the answer correct but by "cheating" and using the show that part. But what I found is that the Probability of S<5 = 0.8 so is this why X<5 is 0.8? How does that work o.0
Reference to question = June 2013 (R), Q7

EDIT: Sorry I figured it out!. Because the first probability is S1 = 1, therefore S2 has to be < 4 for X to be <5.
maths4.png

In part c, I don't understand why the answer is multiplied by 3.

Reference to paper: June 2008 Q6

Sorry to trouble you.. I'm kind of panicking because it seems I suck at Stats lol and the exam is in 2 days :/
Attachment not found
(edited 7 years ago)
Ah thank you, so as a general rule I shouldn't rely on observation for Given that probabilities?

Also I had some trouble with these questions

Part f
In part f I don't understand how you know that P(X<5) is 0.8. I got the answer correct but by "cheating" and using the show that part. But what I found is that the Probability of S<5 = 0.8 so is this why X<5 is 0.8? How does that work o.0
Reference to question = June 2013 (R), Q7

maths4.png

In part c, I don't understand why the answer is multiplied by 3.

Reference to paper: June 2008 Q6

Sorry to trouble you.. I'm kind of panicking because it seems I suck at Stats lol and the exam is in 2 days :/
Attachment not found

Yes, that is why. If you can't see it, think about the definition of X, and what values S2 has to take for X < 5.

Multiplied by 3? At a glance, it would be p^2(1-p) where p is the P(X>53).
Reply 17
Original post by SeanFM
Yes, that is why. If you can't see it, think about the definition of X, and what values S2 has to take for X < 5.

Multiplied by 3? At a glance, it would be p^2(1-p) where p is the P(X>53).

Yes thank you!

The mark scheme for the second one shows:

P(2 weigh more than 53kg and 1 less) = 3 x 0.0668^2 x (1 - 0.0668)
Yes thank you!

The mark scheme for the second one shows:

P(2 weigh more than 53kg and 1 less) = 3 x 0.0668^2 x (1 - 0.0668)

Because there are three ways of choosing it, could have more more less, more less more, less more more

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by iMacJack
Because there are three ways of choosing it, could have more more less, more less more, less more more

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh poop. Can't believe I didn't spot that. Thanks a bunch!

Quick Reply

Latest