The Student Room Group

R Programming, SQL, SAS, SPSS, Minitab, Matlab and VBA?

Hi,

I'm not advanced at all with Comp Sci/programming. I've just finished my 2nd yr of a straight Maths degree with, so far, no actual Comp Sci related modules. But, I will need to learn two of the "IT Packages" mentioned in the title for long reasons (to get the right job I want, namely Data Analyst/Statistician).

Now, I hopefully should be able to learn the R package/software according to some 3rd yr module in my Maths degree.

Out of interest, how long and difficult is it to learn each of "R Programming, SQL, SAS, SPSS, Minitab, Matlab and VBA"? Are all of roughly the same difficulty and time to learn? Is R the easiest I presume?

Also, is it possible to learn any one (excluding R) of the mentioned IT Packages within this summer? How about just a month :smile:? What are the best resources, preferably free, to self-teach any one of the IT Packges? Which would you say is easiest/quickest?

BIG THANK YOU!!!!! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
From experience SQL is straight forward to learn.

In terms of how long it will take will be down to you, your learning styles and the amount of effort you're able to put in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Hiteshmistry86
From experience SQL is straight forward to learn.

In terms of how long it will take will be down to you, your learning styles and the amount of effort you're able to put in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

OK thanks! :smile:

So are they all roughly the same difficulty/time to learn? Like, say I found SQL and R straightforward to learn, does that mean that I should find the rest, namely SAS, SPSS, Minitab, Matlab and VBA, to be similarly straightforward to learn?
To be honest it's very hard to say. I would be perhaps focus one 2-3 of them first and master them.

With programming languages they can all differ but for the majority the general principals are the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
To be honest it's very hard to say. I would be perhaps focus one 2-3 of them first and master them.

With programming languages they can all differ but for the majority the general principals are the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

OK thank you for the help.

Any idea of what's the best way in terms of resources to learn SQL? I want to make a start on it. Also, say I dedicate 2 hrs on it daily, just as a rough guess only, how much time do you think it'd take me to learn SQL?

THANKS! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I couldn't possibly guess. You'll have to try 2 hours a day for a few weeks and see.

Try Udemy.com for training courses or there will be interactive courses online.

Also try codeacademy.com

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

Hi!

Currently learning the SQL through Sololearn.com and I agree :biggrin: with what you said before- SQL being straightforward to learn :smile:.

I've recently finished the UNION tutorial. I'm a bit confused at the moment - I definitely understand that if u have got multiple datasets/tables, then you can get them combined using UNION and UNION ALL. Only difference is that UNION does remove any existing duplicate rows, but UNION ALL doesn't do so. This I certainly get for sure, but it's just I've been facing difficulty :frown: with the actual implementation of the latter, UNION ALL, onto MySQL :s-smilie::frown:. Please help me out,,, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. :redface:

Is it really possible to name a table with the first letter as an upper case letter? Like, "First" rather than "first" doable?

I created a new table to try to get the "First" table they got on the Solo Learn tutorial (this table's shown on attached PIC). The sidebar (left hand side, says phpMyAdmin at top) calls this new table as just "first" though, rather than "First". How to fix? When setting up the table, I DID name it as First though :frown:((

Also, is ID column for this table meant to be indexed as primary key or not? I presume so.

Why did my SQL query of UNION ALL fail :frown: ? plz see 3rd pic attached. UNION ALL failed to give desired result in spite of the right "second" table I was meant to create (see last pic attached plz)

BIG BIG BIG :biggrin: THANKS! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello

Glad you are doing well.

Unfortunately I can't help you but I'm sure someone on this forum can.

I would retrace your steps, perhaps come back to it after a few days.

Hitesh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Their UNION ALL query worked fine for them:
UNION ALL worked fine for them.PNG:

However, it just didn't work out for me, and I just can't see what on earth I did wrong :frown:. Look, here's the actual SQL query itself that I did:
Attachment not found

Hovering my mouse over the cross in the red circle on the left of the middle line tells me: Unrecognized statement type. (near ALL)

Hitting the go button unfortunately gives me:
Attachment not found

which sadly :frown: fails the match the result I was supposed to have gotten using the UNION ALL keyword (as the table shows on the first PIC of this message)

I hope my question is sufficiently clear now. BIG THANKS! :smile:
Reply 9
Hello

Glad you are doing well.

Unfortunately I can't help you but I'm sure someone on this forum can.

I would retrace your steps, perhaps come back to it after a few days.

Hitesh

Posted from TSR Mobile

OK sure, I'll just wait for some other kind person to help.

Yep! I tried that, but no luck :frown:. Suddenly I just hit this wall out of random.

Sorry, for being quite long above ^^^. thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending