The Student Room Group

How to make myself motivated?!

So it's my last week of exams this week (they're pretty much all subjects I'm not interested in) and I'm really struggling to motivate myself to do work.

I have fibromyalgia (self-diagnosed but that is a different story) and because of this I suffer from fatigue and chronic pain. Today I woke up at 12pm and I still feel horrifically tired, this happens most days where I'm not at school, and I just can't focus.

Other people with fibro have said that it affects their concentration, so maybe that's the issue. But I just can't work for more than 5 minutes! I get everything set up, I get comfortable and then I start working but then I stop after 5 minutes because I'm so tired and basically feel like I cant be bothered (even though mentally I know I can)

I was wondering if anyone has any advice or is in the same situation as me? Thanks
Caffeine and sleep help me. Maybe some pain killers would help with your condition?
Original post by Aydin7
Caffeine and sleep help me. Maybe some pain killers would help with your condition?

I already take some prescribed by the doctor, they're not really working but that's a different story haha
I also can't rely on caffeine because it makes me very anxious and panicky so I'm safer staying away from it, I've got to be the awkward one :redface:
Original post by harrietbh12
I already take some prescribed by the doctor, they're not really working but that's a different story haha
I also can't rely on caffeine because it makes me very anxious and panicky so I'm safer staying away from it, I've got to be the awkward one :redface:

Maybe try using revision videos or reading notes to begin with? Music keeps me focused if you haven't tried that
Original post by Aydin7
Maybe try using revision videos or reading notes to begin with? Music keeps me focused if you haven't tried that

I do use music and I find that it helps, I've never tried revision videos though. They might be really useful, thanks!
Original post by harrietbh12
I do use music and I find that it helps, I've never tried revision videos though. They might be really useful, thanks!

You're welcome :smile:
Think about your goal and what you want to achieve in the end... I'm sure that'll help!:h:
Painkillers and fibro aren't the best match. It's a disorder of the nerves. You need it to be diagnosed by a doctor so you can get actual treatment. Treatment is what would make things easier for you. It's not an easy condition to get diagnosed, but there's a million other things the symptoms can be caused by.

For now, do small bits of exercise every day. When I say small, I mean small. Other than that, all I can suggest is you speak to a doctor.

I'd like to add that I know how this feels. I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome and have done for as long as I can remember. Over the years it's affected me more, and I had to drop out of college last year because of it. There's things you can try, sure, but the real help comes from the professionals.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending