The Student Room Group

Plagiarism detected in law coursework

Hi guys, I got an email from my university saying plagiarism was detected in my law coursework. I told them I struggled with referencing as I am in my first year and it was one of my first assignments. But they still think its plagiarism. The investigation is still on going. I read on the SRA's website that if you have a assessment offence you cannot be admitted to the roll of solicitors. Has this happened to anyone else? were you able to do your LPC? Will i still be able to my LPC? I am really stressed out
Well.. did you plagiarise?
Original post by BirdIsWord
Well.. did you plagiarise?

Well i didnt reference my work. As i mentioned it was one of the first coursework assignments I didnt know how to reference properly
so u plagarised
idiot
1 google search wud tell u how to reference
Original post by Rosie Simmons
Well i didnt reference my work. As i mentioned it was one of the first coursework assignments I didnt know how to reference properly

A bit late now, but why didn't you ask the lecturer that set you the assignment?

I guess you'll just have to wait till the outcome of the investigation and see how to proceed from there. Since you're first year and it's your first assignment, you may just get a figurative slap on the wrist..
Screw you
Original post by hezzlington
A bit late now, but why didn't you ask the lecturer that set you the assignment?

I guess you'll just have to wait till the outcome of the investigation and see how to proceed from there. Since you're first year and it's your first assignment, you may just get a figurative slap on the wrist..

Thanks, hopefully
Saaaaaaaa, duuuuuu
What the hell?
Reply 9
Original post by Rosie Simmons
Screw you

Shh! Guys behave please.

Op no worries, you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Impressive
Shh! Guys behave please.

Op no worries, you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks
Reply 11
You can face up to expulsion for plagiarism.

It is really no excuse to say you didn't know how to reference. That's what your librarian is for and there is a mass of info on Google.

I only did my first coursework piece ever here at university. I didn't have a clue about referencing either. It was very, very easy to read the OSCOLA and do it properly. It's no different to Harvard's system.

Just hope they go light on you and either fail it or reduce the marks.

There is an important lesson to be learned here though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
As SRA makes clear on its website, academic misconduct can be condonable where it's merely referencing errors. As long as you have not copied verbatim another person's essay, you should a) not be punished by your College and b) if you are punished, you have the opportunity to excuse it in the eyes of the SRA.

It's best not to fret about these things.
Original post by Lord Hoffman
As SRA makes clear on its website, academic misconduct can be condonable where it's merely referencing errors. As long as you have not copied verbatim another person's essay, you should a) not be punished by your College and b) if you are punished, you have the opportunity to excuse it in the eyes of the SRA.

It's best not to fret about these things.

Thank you you made me feel much better !
You should be very attentive while writing academic papers, plagiarism is a common thing but punishment is almost inevitable. The fact that you don't know how to properly cite sources doesn't justify you. As a student, you're responsible for originality of your writings. You should use this complete plagiarism guide next time you'll write a coursework to avoid this problem in the future. Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Assuming you've got the list of what sources you used to do the assignment, it might be worth you submitting that. This does depend on what you're under investigation for. If you missed out in line references but did have a list of books used at the end of the essay or if you've said Joe Bloggs says "whatever it was" but forgot to put the bibliography at the end, then you might be able to get away with a warning. Before submitting your bibliography, find out which referencing system your uni uses (most use Harvard). For an easy to follow referencing guide, google ARU referencing guide. Talk to whoever is doing the investigation to ask if submitting the bibliography will help you. Also contact your SU as they'll be able to help you to get the lowest possible penalty. I would be shocked if referencing errors in a year 1 semester 1 piece of coursework meant you couldn't do your LPC especially if you can get the bibliography handed in asap.

Quick Reply

Latest