The Student Room Group

How do I tell my parents I self-harm?

I self-harm because of my parents and I want to tell them that so they stop throwing verbal abuse at me. I am hiding my scars under a hoodie, but it's black and it's summer so it's really warm. Can anyone help? I don't want to get the police on my parents because I love them and they sometimes love me.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheFlowerQueen
I self-harm because of my parents and I want to tell them that so they stop throwing verbal abuse at me. I am hiding my scars under a hoodie, but it's black and it's summer so it's really warm. Can anyone help? I don't want to get the police on my parents because I love them and they sometimes love me.

Start by explaining why do people self harm.
OMG :bawling: you need to involve someone else you trust because this behaviour is illegal :console:
dont self-harm :no: its not good, maybe talk to your parents and tell them to not abuse you verbally :cute:
hope everything will be fine soon :hugs: xx
Original post by ODES_PDES
Start by explaining why do people self harm.

They know why people self harm.
100% write it in a form of a letter or note, make sure you get all of your feelings out. I've done the exact same thing over the years seriously and their parenting has changed dramatically. They now understand me completely and I don't self harm nearly as much as I used to. I m completely in understanding of you. Best of luck, much love and I'm 200% sure they love you too
They know why people self harm.

You ask them that
Original post by fatima1998
OMG :bawling: you need to involve someone else you trust because this behaviour is illegal :console:
dont self-harm :no: its not good, maybe talk to your parents and tell them to not abuse you verbally :cute:
hope everything will be fine soon :hugs: xx

How is it illegal?
How is it illegal?

Because its causing you to self harm... and the behaviour parents are doing with you is unacceptable :sad:
I dunno if it is or not :unsure: it must be as i am doing A level health and social care :unsure:
:hugs:

Honestly, you shouldn't feel you have to tell your parents you self-harm to get them to stop being verbally abusive toward you and "sometimes" loving you isn't enough - parenting isn't a part time job.

If your parents are verbally abusive toward you to the extent its causing you to self-harm, I'd say it might be best to go to someone or an organisation about this. You shouldn't have to be in a situation that is making you feel like that and, moreso, you shouldn't have to be dealing with this alone. Regardless, I'd definitely recommend seeking professional help for the self-harming itself. :hugs:

Do you think they'll listen if you tell them about your self-harm?
Because its causing you to self harm... and the behaviour parents are doing with you is unacceptable :sad:
I dunno if it is or not :unsure: it must be as i am doing A level health and social care :unsure:

Self harm is most definitely not illegal 😂 Councillors teachers doctors and other professions don't say anything like that. It's a choice not a crime.
Original post by Kajsajbas
Self harm is most definitely not illegal 😂 Councillors teachers doctors and other professions don't say anything like that. It's a choice not a crime.

I am saying verbal abuse is not acceptable :rolleyes: and i dont know why people would love to self harm themselves :mute: i dont think its a choice, something cause them to self harm :dontknow:
You are so dumb. It's an escapism, a mental health issue, the urge to harm yourself to experience a sense of bliss. Why don't you study that in school?

I know that Fatima's English is difficult to decipher, but what she's saying is that the parents' behaviour is illegal (I don't know if it is or not), that OP should get help for self-harming, and that self-harming is not a choice that people voluntarily make, but something that people do because they are forced into it.

Because of her dodgy English, it can come across the wrong way.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I know that Fatima's English is difficult to decipher, but what she's saying is that the parents' behaviour is illegal (I don't know if it is or not), that OP should get help for self-harming, and that self-harming is not a choice that people voluntarily make, but something that people do because they are forced into it.

Thanks for translating I guess. I simply do not like her attitude that self harm is stupid. She put it across in a way that is clear that she does not understand it yet is willing to tell us what she learns in school about this matter
Thanks for translating I guess. I simply do not like her attitude that self harm is stupid. She put it across in a way that is clear that she does not understand it yet is willing to tell us what she learns in school about this matter

excuse me! i never said self- harm is stupid, you need to re-read what i have said... self-harm is the cause of something! her parents are abusing her verbally which is causing her to self-harm which is wrong. Her parents shouldn't abuse her in any way, there are legislation/policies out there that raise awareness about this matter!

Original post by Abstract_Prism

i was making it clear but she decided not to get my point! Thanks for explaining her :h:

She never said self harm was stupid, all she said was her parents shouldn't have triggered her to self harm in the first place
Original post by noor.m
She never said self harm was stupid, all she said was her parents shouldn't have triggered her to self harm in the first place

'I don't understand why people love to harm themselves'
excuse me! i never said self- harm is stupid, you need to re-read what i have said... self-harm is the cause of something! her parents are abusing her verbally which is causing her to self-harm which is wrong. Her parents shouldn't abuse her in any way, there are legislation/policies out there that raise awareness about this matter!

i was making it clear but she decided not to get my point! Thanks for explaining her :h:

They're not even abusing her. I've been through what she's going through I know how she feels. There's NOTHING illegal in the situation it's a mental thing which causes emotions to outburst and children to feel they're not loved. And self harm, I can't even explain that to you if you fail to understand. Your points are not even helping anyone so byeeee
'I don't understand why people love to harm themselves'
It was an ignorant comment but in no way does that comment suggest she thinks it's stupid, you're just twisting her words.

Just take off your hoody, it's tiring to worry too much about a grand entrance. Sleep with the door open and your hoody off or something.
Or sleep on the sofa without a hoody on. Simplez G. Do it ASAP because you need to stop cutting otherwise you'll get parasites and microbes in your slits and that's a safety hazard.
Thanks mate.
Peace.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19

How old are you? If you're under 18 and still in school I'd go to the school nurse/counsellor if there is one and explain whats been going on. Usually if you're under 18 they will def have to tell you parents about the s/h, or encourage you to do it- BUT they'll be able to help you do it in a way that works. If you're over 18 then they don't usually have to tell anyone but can give you advice etc etc.
If they're concerned about the situation they should also be able to refer you somewhere else, know it sounds scary n official n whatever but anything's gotta be better than what's going on at the moment!!!
That way you're face to face and they'll be able to tell you face to face what's going to happen rather than you going to childline or somewhere(Also might help???!!! They don't have to tell anyone about s/h but if they're concerned about abuse they'll send someone round- there's an online chat if you're interested tho) and them phoning the police/social services and next thing you know they're sat on your sofa..

Hope you get it all sorted out! Feel free to message me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending