The Student Room Group

What will you do if you don't get the grades you want?

During this exam season, many people's expectations have either increased or lowered tragically. Some, such as myself have already come to the conclusions that we haven't performed to our standard and have instead done terribly. Yet the only time we can actually decide this is on the dreaded day of 25th August. So I want to know what your reaction will be if you don't get the grades you want? Will it change your entire life course? Will you cry? Will you even care?

Scroll to see replies

Well, my desired grades are way above the standards I need to get onto the courses I want. So if everything completely collapses, I will still be on the course. I'll just be annoyed with myself I didn't perform at my best
you make such a good point, i will be really upset as i know I've worked so hard for the grades i want-i would feel as if the subjects i want to do would be too hard at a level if i can't get an A* in them at GCSE's. It will probably really make me think about what i want to do in the future and my confidence idk
Reply 3
Original post by adesola15
If I don't get good results I'll be packing for my flight to African boarding school.

Spoiler

Original post by xEmilyxx
Well, my desired grades are way above the standards I need to get onto the courses I want. So if everything completely collapses, I will still be on the course. I'll just be annoyed with myself I didn't perform at my best

I'll probably start crying in front of everyone and keep thinking about how I've messed my chances of getting in to oxbridge. :sadnod::sad::no::cry2::cry2:
Reply 4
I'd probably cry a lot.
If they turn out really bad I will probably cry or at least be holding back tears. But I've never thought about what grades I want exactly as I don't want to be disappointed by anything, I've just always thought that i will try the best I can and see what I get.
Talking to my parents about future plans after results:

Original post by chrlhyms
you make such a good point, i will be really upset as i know I've worked so hard for the grades i want-i would feel as if the subjects i want to do would be too hard at a level if i can't get an A* in them at GCSE's. It will probably really make me think about what i want to do in the future and my confidence idk

Yeah, my issue is my confidence too. I keep thinking about if I don't get the grade I want, whether it's better just not doing it for A Level. But if you do bad at GCSE, at least you'll be determined to do better at A Level seeing as you didn't do well at GCSE. And they're not the be all and end all, they just exist to get you into college or wherever.

I'd love an A* in the subjects I'm doing at A Level, but my coursework doesn't permit it. Some teacher marked it in year 10 as a low A*, and I thought it was a low A* until another teacher marked it all and it ended up all being a high B. Best I'll get is an A, but even so, that's still a respectable grade.
I'll join the circus
_20160611_155612.JPG
It would go something like this

Wow.png

Well..............:colonhash:
Yeah, my issue is my confidence too. I keep thinking about if I don't get the grade I want, whether it's better just not doing it for A Level. But if you do bad at GCSE, at least you'll be determined to do better at A Level seeing as you didn't do well at GCSE. And they're not the be all and end all, they just exist to get you into college or wherever.

I'd love an A* in the subjects I'm doing at A Level, but my coursework doesn't permit it. Some teacher marked it in year 10 as a low A*, and I thought it was a low A* until another teacher marked it all and it ended up all being a high B. Best I'll get is an A, but even so, that's still a respectable grade.

That's such an unrealistic way of looking at it.

^^^ This is so relatable. I recently just made up my mind that no matter what happens in GCSE, I'm determined to do well in A-level.

About the coursework, my whole class' english coursework was marked down. I feel like the english teachers give you a nice grade in year 10, but as soon as year 11 comes, they turn into some carnivorous grade eating monsters :angry:
Oh well, let's just hope for the best and pray that we get the grades we want. :crossedf:
Reply 14
I'm confident in history, French, German, geography and art. Not sure about English luterature, maths or double award science. I have further maths and one history exam still but did re and English language last year. Btw anyone have an idea of the art grade boundaries? I'm really close to the A/A* borderline (AQA exam board)
Reply 15
Original post by MeerabBieber
During this exam season, many people's expectations have either increased or lowered tragically. Some, such as myself have already come to the conclusions that we haven't performed to our standard and have instead done terribly. Yet the only time we can actually decide this is on the dreaded day of 25th August. So I want to know what your reaction will be if you don't get the grades you want? Will it change your entire life course? Will you cry? Will you even care?

i will probably sob and have a heart attack and die
Carry on with life, worst thing that could happen is ending up in the college down the estate that still uses chalkboards.
But other than that, I doubt it will be brutal.
I'll go stab a goat in Somerset, and then remove every inch of skin on the examiners body, and then pour the sheep's blood on their head. Then roast them in a fire over the blown up Edexcel buildings. And then share their meat with my fellow failing comrades.
In all seriousness
My situation of failure is dodgy.. I've predicted myself too highly. Been hopping from thread to thread complaining about my utter procrastination. And then I expect to get 12A*s and 2As, officially pledging to eat my own feces if I get below 10A*s.
Original post by daisy.spillane
I'll join the circus

Good plan. I think I might join you.
Probably go through clearing into history, I hear the computer science degrees at bad unis have horrid employment rates.

Quick Reply