The Student Room Group

AQA Chemistry Paper 2 AS Level 2016 Unofficial Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Al_YG
There was an even quicker way which was to see the huge increase in temp for D and compare it with B's answer for one mole...lol D was the answer therefore.. what about the second to last. Sorry for bragging but no-one has answered all 15 multiple choices (only the first 12).

Honestly i finished with like 15 minutes left (which i was amazed at because in the first paper i had 2 minutes left) so i just went through all of the questions, double checking them properly. And can you remember what the last question was?
Original post by Splaffie
it was propanal propan-1-ol and butane

yeah but the question they are talking about only asked to distinguish between the first two molecules not all three
Reply 242
d was a decrease of 0.5 moles

...this is a very awkward situation. If anyone else can speak to tell us whether it was an increase or decrease please let us know.
Original post by marcobruni98
Propanal and propanol are not isomers

forgot the double bond, yeah it was prop-2-en-1-ol and propanal, which have structural isomerism
Propanal and propanol are not isomers

Yeah it was definitely propanal and propan-2-en-1-ol because i remember the name and they're isomers
Original post by Al_YG
...this is a very awkward situation. If anyone else can speak to tell us whether it was an increase or decrease please let us know.

it seems silly to have a 0.5 increase in both with an obvious temperature difference
Reply 246
what was the answer for the graph question, i levelled it off at the same place but was it steeper or shallower gradient?
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
yeah but the question they are talking about only asked to distinguish between the first two molecules not all three

if thats true then thats even more marks i lost for idiocy
Original post by Al_YG

From what i can remember, A and D caused and increase whereas B and C caused a decrease or no change, this might not help but y'know worth saying
Original post by SURH
what was the answer for the graph question, i levelled it off at the same place but was it steeper or shallower gradient?

Steeper and levelled off lower
Original post by neon_reaper
Yeah it was definitely propanal and propan-2-en-1-ol because i remember the name and they're isomers

So the answer can be that they are isomers so they have the same number of atoms of each element giving them equal Mr and as a result will have equal M/Z ratios on a mass spectrometer?
if thats true then thats even more marks i lost for idiocy

depends which question you are talking bout the one about distinguishing them you might not have because using the mr alone is the valid point if you say they are isomers then just a extra thing not really needed
Reply 252
Steeper and levelled off lower

you sure? wouldn't it level off the same
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
depends which question you are talking bout the one about distinguishing them you might not have because using the mr alone is the valid point if you say they are isomers then just a extra thing not really needed

its really annoying me how many mistakes i make when i can remember almost the entire specification off by heart but when i go through exams i just make mistakes everywhere where i know i shouldnt be
So the answer can be that they are isomers so they have the same number of atoms of each element giving them equal Mr and as a result will have equal M/Z ratios on a mass spectrometer?

I did a very similar question on a past paper (got it wrong so i learnt the answer) and the answer on that was:
They have the same molecular formula (1) and so would have the same relative molecular mass (1).
Original post by SURH
you sure? wouldn't it level off the same

No because there were fewer moles (conc x vol = mol, conc had increased and vol had decreased so just sub it in) so it would have to level off lower
its really annoying me how many mistakes i make when i can remember almost the entire specification off by heart but when i go through exams i just make mistakes everywhere where i know i shouldnt be

yeah ikr it sucks i countred through again and found all the stupid mistakes that could have been avoided dont worry though you seem really smart im sure you've gotten an A but yeah during exams your trying to complete stuff as fast as possible and we all tend to miss stuff especially me like with the hexane thing i know hexane has six carbons but in the exam i some how thought it had five and i lost a mark cus of that so dont worrry youll do well
No because there were fewer moles (conc x vol = mol, conc had increased and vol had decreased so just sub it in) so it would have to level off lower

it was exactly 1 square lower because the molar ratio gave 88.888% and 88.88% of 9 is exactly 8
it was exactly 1 square lower because the molar ratio gave 88.888% and 88.88% of 9 is exactly 8

Yeah i did that but just because it seemed like a good place to draw it rather than calculating it :biggrin: (lucky as hell) not sure if they'll penalise you for not drawing it on the line because they didn't actually give units on the graph, but it wasn't hard to work out so
Reply 259

what was on the y -axis of the graph?

Quick Reply