The Student Room Group

I'm a Sikh planning to marry a Muslim AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Supermanxxxxxx
How religious are they

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am not sure as I have not met them yet. We both go to University so it is hard for us to see the other person's parents.
Reply 61
Original post by singher
I do not plan to have Anand Karaj.

Why did u make this thread?
Original post by Nihang
Yh yh been the amount of chardikala u get from seeing baba ji is mad! Even knowing how high there status is giving in the panth jinda shaheed they still show humbleness vah we should have more chardikala singh's in the panth baba ji

Smashed it, hoping to go soon. The seva they did as well - unmeasurable.
Always showing nimratha, true mahapurakh.

I went to see Baba Avatar Singh Ji when they came, just having there darshan was amazing
You're Sikh? I hope you get better soon!
Reply 64
Original post by TheALevelStudent
Smashed it, hoping to go soon. The seva they did as well - unmeasurable.
Always showing nimratha, true mahapurakh.

I went to see Baba Avatar Singh Ji when they came, just having there darshan was amazing

Vah wasn't lucky enough to see baba avatar Singh ji but jathedar baba joginder Singh ji Budha dal has said they will be coming uk in August or September can't wait!
Reply 65
Original post by Zamestaneh
Reitterating what others have said here:

In Sikhism, one can only marry a Sikh.
In Islam, the girl can only marry a Muslim.

You might want a secular wedding, but you said she is quite religious, so therefore don't really stand a chance unless she is a bad Muslim.

Actually there is no one opinion. Some SIkhs do believe that one can only marry a Sikh, but it isn't clear cut in the scripture, hence why a lot of Sikhs including me believe that a Sikh can marry anyone, however it can not happen in an Anand Karaj ceremony.

And I do plan a secular wedding. And what makes you think I don't stand a chance? Unless she is a bad Muslim? What does the term 'bad Muslim' even mean?
Original post by Nihang
Vah wasn't lucky enough to see baba avatar Singh ji but jathedar baba joginder Singh ji Budha dal has said they will be coming uk in August or September can't wait!

Wow really? Can't wait for them to come!
Reply 67
Original post by Nihang
Why did u make this thread?

Well it's an AMA. So just for general chat and questions.
Original post by singher
Actually there is no one opinion. Some SIkhs do believe that one can only marry a Sikh, but it isn't clear cut in the scripture, hence why a lot of Sikhs including me believe that a Sikh can marry anyone, however it can not happen in an Anand Karaj ceremony.

And I do plan a secular wedding. And what makes you think I don't stand a chance? Unless she is a bad Muslim? What does the term 'bad Muslim' even mean?

I didnt really care what you was saying ........ until you said it isn't clear in the scriptures.

Rehatnama Bhai Chaupai Singh:Natha Guru Ke Sikh naal karai
Translating to: Marriage (natha) should be done to a sikh of the guru.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 69
I didnt really care what you was saying ........ until you said it isn't clear in the scriptures.

Rehatnama Bhai Chaupai Singh:Natha Guru Ke Sikh naal karai
Translating to: Marriage (natha) should be done to a sikh of the guru.

Send me a link to where that is written.
Reply 70
What type of sikh are you? Indian, Kabli , Jalwadi..?
Original post by singher

Having a marriage which isn't an Anand Karaj isn't really following Sikhi then. Like if your intention is to be a Sikh by name then sure, you can marry whoever you want, but if you are trying to implement Sikhi in your life, then you should be having an Anand Karaj.

The fact that religious Muslims stick to the rules (and part of those rules being to not marry non-Muslim men) means that you don't have a chance, so as I said: you said she was religious, and therefore you stand no chance with her. By 'bad Muslim', I mean she would be making a massive compromise on her religion - perhaps you don't realise how big that compromise is. If a Muslim has an Islamically invalid marriage by choice, it is as if they are having sex outside of marriage for the rest of their married life, and Islamically illegal sexual activity like that is a grave sin in Islam, and there are numerous punishments after death described for those who engaged such sins in the Quran and Hadith (unless they repent and stop committing the sin of course).
Original post by singher
Send me a link to where that is written.

Rehatnama by Bhai Chaupai Singh.

The whole point of this thread is stupid and non logical.

First of all you call yourself a sikh. Do you abide by any sikh teachings? Okay your family may be sikh and you may have been bought up in a sikh background, but what do you do in your life that makes you sikh?

Secondly, if you are technically not a sikh, then why would anything sikhi says (specifically regarding marriage) effect you in any way, if you don't even abide to the basic stuff.

Thirdly, being a sikh, you are expected to have an Anand Karaj, as it is the SIKH wedding ceremony (key word being sikh). Looking into the what is actually said in the wedding ceremony, in the very first vow it says to worship and adore the true guru. If you are not doing this, then surely having an Anand Karaj is false.
Original post by drowzee
Are her parents okay with it? It's nice that your parents are; If I told my parents I wanted to marry a Muslim they would probably have a heart attack :lol:

omg HARLEY QUINN
Reply 74
Having a marriage which isn't an Anand Karaj isn't really following Sikhi then. Like if your intention is to be a Sikh by name then sure, you can marry whoever you want, but if you are trying to implement Sikhi in your life, then you should be having an Anand Karaj.

The fact that religious Muslims stick to the rules (and part of those rules being to not marry non-Muslim men) means that you don't have a chance, so as I said: you said she was religious, and therefore you stand no chance with her. By 'bad Muslim', I mean she would be making a massive compromise on her religion - perhaps you don't realise how big that compromise is. If a Muslim has an Islamically invalid marriage by choice, it is as if they are having sex outside of marriage for the rest of their married life, and Islamically illegal sexual activity like that is a grave sin in Islam, and there are numerous punishments after death described for those who engaged such sins in the Quran and Hadith (unless they repent and stop committing the sin of course).

And that's true, just because I adhere to a religion doesn't mean that my whole life is dictated by it. Religion is just one part of my life.

I think that she is different. I doubt that she will let this to be the reason why we can not get married.

And I am aware, that it will not be a valid Islamic marriage and therefore it will be seen as fornication. But technically it is not, as the marriage certificate will be signed.
Reply 75
Rehatnama by Bhai Chaupai Singh.

The whole point of this thread is stupid and non logical.

First of all you call yourself a sikh. Do you abide by any sikh teachings? Okay your family may be sikh and you may have been bought up in a sikh background, but what do you do in your life that makes you sikh?

Secondly, if you are technically not a sikh, then why would anything sikhi says (specifically regarding marriage) effect you in any way, if you don't even abide to the basic stuff.

Thirdly, being a sikh, you are expected to have an Anand Karaj, as it is the SIKH wedding ceremony (key word being sikh). Looking into the what is actually said in the wedding ceremony, in the very first vow it says to worship and adore the true guru. If you are not doing this, then surely having an Anand Karaj is false.

There is no verse referenced, and I also don't really follow that scripture anyway.

And I do abide by some major teachings, in that I believe in the God, I do try to remember God, I do try to earn a good living, and I do try to share.

However I do follow activities such as I cut my hair, eat meat(mostly Halal meat), drink alcohol, and I used to sleep around.

I don't really want an Anand Karaj for myself, a secular ceremony will suit me more in my opinion.
Reply 76
Original post by hezzlington
Right so its extremely hot in my room right now. Got windows open. Fan on full blast. Im butt naked in bed.

What should I do?

put ur butt on the fan?
Original post by singher
And that's true, just because I adhere to a religion doesn't mean that my whole life is dictated by it. Religion is just one part of my life.

I think that she is different. I doubt that she will let this to be the reason why we can not get married.

And I am aware, that it will not be a valid Islamic marriage and therefore it will be seen as fornication. But technically it is not, as the marriage certificate will be signed.

Well that isn't adhering to the religion, it's more calling yourself a Sikh and saying that it inspired you from time to time but otherwise it is just a label of heritage...

Actually it is a massive reason, and most Muslim girls wouldn't go against their family, community and religion, especially if they are religious. Has she even expressed a desire to marry you?

It shows how much you care about her that you want her to corrupt herself for you...
(edited 7 years ago)
Well that isn't adhering to the religion, it's more calling yourself a Sikh and saying that it inspired you from time to time but otherwise it is just a label of heritage...

Well it is is a massive reason, and most Muslim girls wouldn't go against their family, community and religion, especially if they are religious. Has she even expressed a desire to marry you?

Well it shows how much you care about her that you want her to corrupt herself for you.

I'm not sure you used 'well' enough times there. :tea:
Original post by Hydeman
I'm not sure you used 'well' enough times there. :tea:

Usually I notice when I get repetitive but I gon dun slipped up this time :facepalm2: I'm fasting(?) :ninja:

Quick Reply

Latest