The Student Room Group

how to integrate this

CodeCogsEqn.gif

how would you go about integrating this? The problem i encounter is dealing with the 1
Reply 1
Original post by Icyytea
CodeCogsEqn.gif

how would you go about integrating this? The problem i encounter is dealing with the 1

Where is this problem from? Are you comfortable with substitutions?
Reply 2
my friend asked me it a while back and yeah i'm semi comfortable but idk how to deal with it
Reply 3
Original post by Icyytea
my friend asked me it a while back and yeah i'm semi comfortable but idk how to deal with it

Could you post the rest of the question or the full question, please?
Reply 4
He told me I bet you can't integrate this then wrote it down on a piece of paper and handed it to me. Is it impossible to do with no further information given? It's not an official question he said he just came up with it when I asked him where it was from.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Just multiply out the 3y^2 to both sides, then split the LHS as all the y's and RHS as all the x's
Reply 6
Balancing?
Reply 7
Original post by d3st1ny
Just multiply out the 3y^2 to both sides, then split the LHS as all the y's and RHS as all the x's

But then you're left with 3y^2 dy = 2xdx + 3y^2 dx, how do you deal with the last term (3y^2dx)?
Reply 8
so 3y^2 (dy/dx) = 2x + 3y^2.

becomes... integral [3y^2] dy = integral [2x + 3y^2] dx

3y^3/3 = 2x^2/2 + 3xy^2

i think.
Original post by d3st1ny
so 3y^2 (dy/dx) = 2x + 3y^2.

becomes... integral [3y^2] dy = integral [2x + 3y^2] dx

3y^3/3 = 2x^2/2 + 3xy^2

i think.

nope, you can't integrate 3y^2 with respect to x, its a variable not a constant.
Reply 10
so it's impossible without other information such as y=...?
Reply 11
Original post by Icyytea

yes
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+dy%2Fdx+%3D+2x%2F(3(y%5E2))+%2B1
Reply 12
Original post by Icyytea

It's not a proper question.
Reply 13
Alright thanks I thought I was missing something major lol
Original post by Icyytea
CodeCogsEqn.gif

@Zacken

It is a valid differential equation, that's known as Chini's equation. However, Zacken is correct that it cannot be solved analytically - though it can be approximately solved using numerical methods, so you may want to look up Euler's method for example.
looks like your friend won the bet
Reply 16
Original post by Katiee224
looks like your friend won the bet

What a cheat, though. :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
What a cheat, though. :tongue:

but this guy cheated by asking for help on a forum so nobodies perfect here:tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by Katiee224
but this guy cheated by asking for help on a forum so nobodies perfect here:tongue:

Fair enough! :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest