The Student Room Group

Computer Science A level without the Computer Science GCSE?

I'm currently in year 11 and I'm considering Computer Science as an AS subject. Would I be more disadvantaged if I didn't take it for GCSE or is it manageable without any prior knowledge?
Reply 1
Original post by mcagx
I'm currently in year 11 and I'm considering Computer Science as an AS subject. Would I be more disadvantaged if I didn't take it for GCSE or is it manageable without any prior knowledge?

AS Computer Sciences does not require applicants to have taken GCSE at most sixth form. You will essentially learn everything you did at GCSE all over again, but the standards are higher and you are introduced to new topics.
Reply 2
Original post by mcagx

I took it at GCSE and am doing it at As/A level, yes, a lot of the topics are the same and they will be relearned but as the course is longer and a lot more complex than at GCSE any extra prior knowledge helps a lot, there was someone who didn't do it at GCSE and dropped out before the exam as it was too much especially in conjunction with other A levels.
If you really want to do it, perhaps doing some research/work on it before you start (probably the last thing you want to hear after GCSEs but trust me it's worth it).
Reply 3
I did GCSE ICT and took A Level Computer Science, I've just done the exams and can honestly say it wasnt too bad, some of it is hard but if you work hard you can get round it.
Original post by mcagx

I'm going to be taking A level Computer Science, but I've only done GCSE ICT. I was told that not doing GCSE Computer Science was fine, but I'm going to teach myself how to program in Python (the programming language my college will use) over the summer so I at least know a bit before doing it :')
Reply 5
Original post by mcagx

You can study a CompSci degree without a CompSci A Level so I'm sure it will be fine
Reply 6
Original post by mcagx

Hi, I was in a pretty similar situation as you last year,

I dropped ICT in year 8 and picked up Computer science AS in year 12 along with Chemistry, IT and Art with Graphic communication. I had no previous programming experience therefore had to learn python from the very beginning.

I've got my A-Level computer science exam tomorrow (22nd June) and if everything goes well, i'll be off to uni to study Computer Science there!

You have to be motivated to do well in this subject and I can tell you for fact there is a lot of problem solving. For an insight, learn a programming language to see if its something you really want to do. I used Code academy to teach myself Pyhton and HTML+CSS so I would really recommend you try it
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
hi, i didn't take computer science for gcse either, but am considering doing it for A level. I'm doing a codecademy course on c ++ , would that be enough?
Original post by mcagx

Lots of the topics will be relearned but the course is a lot more complex than at GCSE, so prior experience and knowledge will really help.
Reply 9
Original post by kairb
Hi, I was in a pretty similar situation as you last year,

I dropped ICT in year 8 and picked up Computer science AS in year 12 along with Chemistry, IT and Art with Graphic communication. I had no previous programming experience therefore had to learn python from the very beginning.

I've got my A-Level computer science exam tomorrow (22nd June) and if everything goes well, i'll be off to uni to study Computer Science there!

You have to be motivated to do well in this subject and I can tell you for fact there is a lot of problem solving. For an insight, learn a programming language to see if its something you really want to do. I used Code academy to teach myself Pyhton and HTML+CSS so I would really recommend you try it

I didn't take gcse computer science and I'm wondering If it would be too hard for me to do A level CS. I am doing a codecademy course on c++ but would that help me in any way?
I picking options right now I want to pick computer science put I think I'm gonna fail so I picked triple science could I still do computer science in college without a computer science GCSE?
Original post by pranoy05
I didn't take gcse computer science and I'm wondering If it would be too hard for me to do A level CS. I am doing a codecademy course on c++ but would that help me in any way?

A-Level CompSci has an element of programming, and it'll certainly help you with some parts of the course, but I would strongly recommend referring to the specification so you can understand what to expect and it'll let you do some preliminary reading whilst you're doing your Codecademy course. One of the biggest hurdles you may encounter from doing the codeacademy course into CompSci is the use of technical vocabulary and computational thinking; which is essentially the stage just prior to programming, and involves conceptualizing the problems. But again, figure out what examination body you'd be assessed on and then refer to their website; for convenience, you can find AQA here.

You can probably ask a course tutor, just say you wish to do some preliminary reading, so you can better understand the topics for when you wish to do the course, alternatively, your school/college should have a website for prospectus/course guide which should outline the subjects, the examination board, and the requirements.

Original post by Gdgdgdgdh
I picking options right now I want to pick computer science put I think I'm gonna fail so I picked triple science could I still do computer science in college without a computer science GCSE?

It depends on the college. Looking back at the school I attended quite some years ago, currently, they do ask that you achieve at least Grade 6 in the subject. Some others will specify the same but equally, may offer you a place subject to an interview with the department head.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ell-1999
I did GCSE ICT and took A Level Computer Science, I've just done the exams and can honestly say it wasnt too bad, some of it is hard but if you work hard you can get round it.

Thats cool, i was forced to pick ICT in my school as Computer Science wasn't an optioon.
Reply 13
Hi I've been learning C# for just over a year
I want to study computer science for A-Level but I didn't do it for GCSE
Python is the language studied in most A-Level schools so I want to learn it as well as C# before A-Levels
Is doing a Code Academy course enough?
or what additional things do you think I need to do to be prepared for the course.
Thanks
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mcagx

Old Thread but ICT GCSE works too. I know you are in Uni but for other people to see.

Quick Reply

Latest