The Student Room Group

Money Saving Tips for UNI

Hi all, I am hoping for some ideas for a Uni newspaper article I am writing.

I am doing a top 20 money saving tips guide for my Uni newspaper so far I have

1: get your NUS card asap as you get 6 months free amazon prime, 10% off topshop, free burger when you order a meal in mcdonalds etc

2: Sign up to top cash back Here Topcashback as you can get £100;s in cash back on items such as mobliel phone contracts and anything ordered online

3: Shop later in the evening at supermarkets and look for the reduced section, the later in the day it gets the more desperate they get with the discounts and you can snap up some bargains

4: Pre drinks before nights out, getting cheaper drinks from the off license is much cheaper than even student night bar pricing, have a few at home with friends before you go out.

5: Cook for yourself and friends, cooking from scratch can be far cheaper than ready meals. Plus cooking in a group means you get better deals as you buy more.

Please let me know what you think I need 5 more tips but my head is fuzzy and I cant think.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have thought of one more
6: buy your fruit and veg from the market and remember how much it was per kg then next time you are in the supermarket look at how much it costs there, as long as your not going to a farmers market you should find the market a much cheaper place to get fruits and veg.
Gather your own meat from the countryside.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by DiddyDec
Gather your own meat from the countryside.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ha quite extreme!
Original post by Fitnessguy
Ha quite extreme!

Not in the slightest, it is free meat ripe for the taking and saves a fortune since meat is expensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all, I am hoping for some ideas for a Uni newspaper article I am writing.

I am doing a top 20 money saving tips guide for my Uni newspaper so far I have

1: get your UCAS card asap as you get 6 months free amazon prime, 10% off topshop, free burger when you order a meal in mcdonalds etc

2: Sign up to top cash back Here Topcashback as you can get £100;s in cash back on items such as mobliel phone contracts and anything ordered online

3: Shop later in the evening at supermarkets and look for the reduced section, the later in the day it gets the more desperate they get with the discounts and you can snap up some bargains

4: Pre drinks before nights out, getting cheaper drinks from the off license is much cheaper than even student night bar pricing, have a few at home with friends before you go out.

5: Cook for yourself and friends, cooking from scratch can be far cheaper than ready meals. Plus cooking in a group means you get better deals as you buy more.

Please let me know what you think I need 5 more tips but my head is fuzzy and I cant think.

U can edit your original post and add more points there

Also your 5th point, you can just cook a huge load of spaghetti bolognese and freeze it and just open the packs and reheat them when you're done.
Reply 6
Original post by Big white
U can edit your original post and add more points there

Also your 5th point, you can just cook a huge load of spaghetti bolognese and freeze it and just open the packs and reheat them when you're done.

cheers will do, any more ideas anyone?
cheers will do, any more ideas anyone?

There were some student articles and one of the said a slow cooker was quite good and that you could either bunch together with your flat mates or just by yourself and u can just buy a really cheap cut of meat and let the slow cooker cook that stuff until the meat drops off the bone....
Reply 8
Original post by Big white
There were some student articles and one of the said a slow cooker was quite good and that you could either bunch together with your flat mates or just by yourself and u can just buy a really cheap cut of meat and let the slow cooker cook that stuff until the meat drops off the bone....

Thanks will check it out
Reply 9
any more?
Reply 10
I just need 4 more
How do I apply for the UCAS card?
Reply 12
Original post by Aydin7
How do I apply for the UCAS card?

you mean NUS card?
you mean NUS card?

Well I suppose since you've edited UCAS card-> NUS card in the OP haha
Reply 14
Original post by Aydin7
Well I suppose since you've edited UCAS card-> NUS card in the OP haha

Ha sorry my bad
Ha sorry my bad

Np, are you gonna tell me how to get an NUS card lol?
Reply 16
always carry cash and be prepared to haggle
as it can work especially if you are willing to pay cash
Reply 18
1) Eat roadkill. It's free and full of tarmacy goodness and essential rubber.
2) Distill your own moonshine. It's much cheaper and more potent than legal alcohol.
3) Sell your moonshine for a profit.
4) Relationships are expensive, especially if you are a man. Refrain from them, unless the other party happens to come from a wealthy background.
5) Identify students weaker than you, then threaten them into giving you their lunch money.
6) You can save a lot of money by pirating all your TV shows, movies and music.
7) Consider becoming an actual pirate and go out plundering gold and jewels on the high seas.
You can make big batches of anything really and freeze them, such as stew, cottage pie, bolognese, shepherd's pie, etc. It is cheaper and healthy, my parents do it a lot and i am planning on doing it when i go to uni. Or you can make big batches of stir fry and stuff to keep in the fridge or whatever until you want to eat it. Or bubble and squeek. Boil some potatoes and cabbage and keep it in the fridge until you want to fry it and eat it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending