The Student Room Group

What do Universities look at more?

GCSEs or A-levels? I'm aware they've changed the system a bit for students who are taking their GCSE exams in 2016 which I'm doing now. but I'm worried that my GCSE performance will limit my future because I know I can do better at A-Level.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MovedMasterMike
GCSEs or A-levels? I'm aware they've changed it a bit for students who are taking their GCSE exams in 2016 which I'm doing now. but I'm worried that my GCSE performance will limit my future because I know I can do better at A-Level.

It depends on the university you apply to, A levels will matter more generally. However some universities will want a specific grade in english and maths for example and generally wont budge on that requirement.
They don't usually care about GCSEs only maths and English at a minimum C/B. However all unis and courses are different. Some may ask for C in science if it's relevant to the course. A level predicted grades are what they base their decision on.
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
They don't usually care about GCSEs only maths and English at a minimum C/B. However all unis and courses are different. Some may ask for C in science if it's relevant to the course. A level predicted grades are what they base their decision on.

Ohhh i see that's good. Thanks. I'm guessing that applies to most unis?
Ohhh i see that's good. Thanks. I'm guessing that applies to most unis?

Yes , I don't think there is a uni that would accept you if you if you didn't have at least a C in English language and maths unless you are an international student.
Original post by claireestelle
It depends on the university you apply to, A levels will matter more generally. However some universities will want a specific grade in english and maths for example and generally wont budge on that requirement.

Ahhh I see thanks a lot! I know I can do better at A-level so that's good.
Original post by JohnGreek
A-levels, unless you're applying to the very top unis for competitive courses such as Law, Medicine, Engineering, Maths, etc., where everyone has such good grades that any small deficiency in your GCSEs is bound to stand out.

Yh that's where I'm planning to apply to. A uni in London such as UCL, Imperial, St Mary's, King's...
Reply 7
I suppose most unis don't really care about GCSEs lol
Many "top" unis just require a B or above in english/maths, but that's all there is to it
A-levels are significantly emphasised over GCSE
Reply 8
Yh that's where I'm planning to apply to. A uni in London such as UCL, Imperial, St Mary's, King's...

For what course?

St Mary's?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Medicine, engineering or accountancy (not sure yet but one of those) Queen St. mary's* :smile:
Reply 10
Medicine, engineering or accountancy (not sure yet but one of those) Queen St. mary's* :smile:

Quite a choice :wink:

Medicine tends to have a bit more interest in your GCSEs than other courses (particularly at some universities - check the Medicine forum for more info).

Engineering will be more interested by far in your A-levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you so much for making this post. Honestly I was so scared haha, I currently am contemplating taking a retake on all 3 of my a level choices (I'm doing gcse rn tho) bc I wanna get A's in them. Now I feel a bit better though?

Is it still possible to do retakes?
Original post by Jiff
Thank you so much for making this post. Honestly I was so scared haha, I currently am contemplating taking a retake on all 3 of my a level choices (I'm doing gcse rn tho) bc I wanna get A's in them. Now I feel a bit better though?

Is it still possible to do retakes?

No problem! I have no idea about retakes sorry.
Original post by jneill
Quite a choice :wink:

Medicine tends to have a bit more interest in your GCSEs than other courses (particularly at some universities - check the Medicine forum for more info).

Engineering will be more interested by far in your A-levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohhh i see. Thanks a lot for that info! Finally, I just wanted to ask is it hard to get into the London unis?
Original post by Arima
I suppose most unis don't really care about GCSEs lol
Many "top" unis just require a B or above in english/maths, but that's all there is to it
A-levels are significantly emphasised over GCSE

Right, I see. I'm aware there's a lot of competition for Medicine which I'm kinda worried about so I'm not entirely sure to which course to go with :/
Reply 15
Ohhh i see. Thanks a lot for that info! Finally, I just wanted to ask is it hard to get into the London unis?

Medicine is very competitive (anywhere, not just London) - the others not as much.

The key statistic you need is the Offer Rate rather than the more commonly provided Acceptance Rate. Many universities are reluctant to share this and it often requires a freedom of information request.

As luck would have it here's an FOI request with Offer Rates for Imperial:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/breakdown_of_undergraduate_admis_16
Data:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/86792/response/218564/attach/3/FOI%20Admissions%20Data.txt

If you trawl through the raw data you can find things like:
2011 Medicine Offer rate for Home applicants was 401/2527 = 16%
2011 Other Courses* Offer rate for Home applicants 2769/4472 = 62%

*courses with application deadline in January 2010

So you can see how much more competitive Medicine is.

It will be similar at most other universities.

BUT just to add: don't get lost in stats, or wondering if this course or that course is more competitive. Decide on the course you like, and if you are on target to achieve the typical offer at universities you also like then apply.

You really don't want to be applying to do a 2nd choice course at a "prestigious" university. You'll always be wondering what if I'd applied for the course I love at the uni I like...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Medicine is very competitive (anywhere, not just London) - the others not as much.

The key statistic you need is the Offer Rate rather than the more commonly provided Acceptance Rate. Many universities are reluctant to share this and it often requires a freedom of information request.

As luck would have it here's an FOI request with Offer Rates for Imperial:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/breakdown_of_undergraduate_admis_16
Data:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/86792/response/218564/attach/3/FOI%20Admissions%20Data.txt

If you trawl through the raw data you can find things like:
2011 Medicine Offer rate for Home applicants was 401/2527 = 16%
2011 Other Courses* Offer rate for Home applicants 2769/4472 = 62%

*courses with application deadline in January 2010

So you can see how much more competitive Medicine is.

It will be similar at most other universities.

Oh my that's very competitive. Thanks so much for this info and the links appreciate the help. I'll keep researching to help me make a decision :smile:
Reply 17
Oh my that's very competitive. Thanks so much for this info and the links appreciate the help. I'll keep researching to help me make a decision :smile:

And please see my edit to that post :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending