The Student Room Group

A2 - Edexcel Psychology June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sophia.lega
Thank you! I'm gonna look at it now :smile: I was literally just having this conversation with one of my friends aswell - if the two questions are on debates I'm screwed!

I know, me too! Eek. What other subjects do you study and what did you get last year in psychology? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Julieplec
I know, me too! Eek. What other subjects do you study and what did you get last year in psychology? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do English lit and religious studies as well unfortunately! I got a B at AS but I was 4 UMS off an A 💔 How about you?
Original post by sophia.lega
I do English lit and religious studies as well unfortunately! I got a B at AS but I was 4 UMS off an A 💔 How about you?

Oh nice! I couldn't do English lit, it's too difficult for me haha. I do geography, biology and chemistry alongside this :wink: I also got a B at AS! An A in unit 1 and a B in unit 2 but I resat unit 2. You were so close to the A! You'll get it this year haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Julieplec
You can really just wing social control, just talk about token economy and drug treatments

Posted from TSR Mobile

dont you need to know 3 social controls? token economy drug treatments and aversion therapy?
Original post by OrdinaryStudent
Biological approach contributes with gender development, so surely learning and psychodynamic do too :smile:
That's not the point, let me explain

When you are describing a cotribution, you need to state the contribution ("biological explanation for gender" ), add some theory (which suggests genes, hormones and brain lateralisation are important...." ) then explain how this helps, HOW does it contribute to society?? So for example.. can help people undergoing gender reassignment as it suggests testosterone leads to masculine secondary sex characteristics, so we could give them testosterone injections to help with their transition

You need to do that for each contribution if you want the (full) marks

Original post by chickenfoot
i bet they give us one where we have to write an aim, hypothesis and statistical tests involved (which i never bothered learning last year) - that hasn't come up ever and you know they're trying to be all scienceyi haaate social control it's so boring. i might just leave it out of revision and just wing that.
I doubt they'd make us decide the stats test as it's not on the a2 specSocial control is easy tho, it's literally just really briefly describing treatments and evaluating them in terms of practical and ethical issues.. don't let the name throw you :lol:
Original post by willcooke
Does anyone know the likelihood of the AS contributions to society coming up?
99.9%
Original post by Rsprcy
In the clinical applied questions about treatments- if it doesn't say what the persons condition is, can you write an answer on a specific disorder i.e. schizophrenia or is it supposed to be general??

If they want schizophrenia they will specify, if they want your other disorder they will specify "other than schizophrenia", if they do neither of these then it's fine to do either
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 445
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=105565&d=1307987383

hey.. you probably have gone through this but for those who haven't i would really advice you as it has everything you need from A to Z for the issues and debate section
Hey guys does anyone know how to answer this question for research methods: Why is theory construction a major feature of how science works?. This is for the psy4 exam.
Thanks
Original post by sljune
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=105565&d=1307987383

hey.. you probably have gone through this but for those who haven't i would really advice you as it has everything you need from A to Z for the issues and debate section

What a long, boring document. That would be no use to me at all

Original post by Dark knight123
Hey guys does anyone know how to answer this question for research methods: Why is theory construction a major feature of how science works?. This is for the psy4 exam.
Thanks

We don't have to answer questions like this on Edexcel so I doubt anyone would know
Original post by rileystringer1
That's not the point, let me explain

When you are describing a cotribution, you need to state the contribution ("biological explanation for gender" ), add some theory (which suggests genes, hormones and brain lateralisation are important...." ) then explain how this helps, HOW does it contribute to society?? So for example.. can help people undergoing gender reassignment as it suggests testosterone leads to masculine secondary sex characteristics, so we could give them testosterone injections to help with their transition

You need to do that for each contribution if you want the (full) marks

Ok, but for learning could i say it contributes to society as it helps us understand transgender which the biological explanation doesnt explain
dont you need to know 3 social controls? token economy drug treatments and aversion therapy?

I thought it was just two? I've done most of the past papers and haven't come across needing 3 social controls

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sample answer for key issue "understnading schizophrenia"? I keep asking and no one's replying :frown:
Original post by Jablonski
Sample answer for key issue "understnading schizophrenia"? I keep asking and no one's replying :frown:

It depends how many marks it is, if it's 5 marks you should just give the symptoms and incidence rates I believe. If it's worth more marks, maybe give an explanation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok, but for learning could i say it contributes to society as it helps us understand transgender which the biological explanation doesnt explain

Helps us understand transgender?? That's just really not a valid contribution to society
Helps us understand transgender?? That's just really not a valid contribution to society

ok i guess not transgender, in particular but it does help us understand gender - im sure this is a valid contribution, the textbook says there are a variety of contributions where you can pick any. Gender was also a big theme in the unit 2 paper.
The textbook also uses understanding gender for psychodynamic so i guess you may have made a mistake
(edited 7 years ago)
ok i guess not transgender, in particular but it does help us understand gender - im sure this is a valid contribution, the textbook says there are a variety of contributions where you can pick any. Gender was also a big theme in the unit 2 paper.
The textbook also uses understanding gender for psychodynamic so i guess you may have made a mistake

helps us understand and sheds light on why people may feel like they are in the wrong body and need treatment to become themselves.
this is the contribution. yours was weak and would gain no marks.

helps us understand and sheds light on why people may feel like they are in the wrong body and need treatment to become themselves.

K i rĺy cba to repeat myself.. >never< say that a theory helps us to understand. Cos ok well the whole of psychology as a discipline helps us understand, it's what you then do/suggest to do with that understanding/knowledge that makes it a contribution/application

Its like if you were asked for a practical application of Genie and u say it helped us to understand language development and whether there was a sensitive period. K so what? Yh there was one.. so we should encourage talking and singing, when a baby points at something tell them what its called to aid their language development while it's still cruitial

We wouldnt know (lets pretend) how important is to talk and sing to kids if we didnt know about the critical period thanks to Genie. This is what makes it have 'practical application'

I feel as tho i cud be a teacher but still gna get a B :frown:

Edit: i rly wouldnt sugest using gender cos its hard to make a valid contribution point, it becomes superficial
(edited 7 years ago)
Is it necessary to know studies for each research method in detail? As far as I know a question on them hasn't come up

Also what are the 3 study is details you guys are doing?

I was taught Rosenhan (1973, Goldstein (1999) and Silberg (1999) (not sure about silberg since I've never seen it in a mark scheme)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by rolla01
Is it necessary to know studies for each research method in detail? As far as I know a question on them hasn't come up

I don't think so, they can't ask you to 'describe loftus and Palmer' for example with regards to a laboratory experiment

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rolla01

Also what are the 3 study is details you guys are doing?

I was taught Rosenhan (1973, Goldstein (1999) and Silberg (1999) (not sure about silberg since I've never seen it in a mark scheme)

You need to know Rosenhan for DSM, you need to know Goldstein for schizophrenia, pick any study for the 3rd into your chosen disorder

i didnt mean to say understanding transgender, i meant gender in general, which helps society to accept and help such people in order to accept who they are in order to maintain good health if appropriate

K i rĺy cba to repeat myself.. >never< say that a theory helps us to understand. Cos ok well the whole of psychology as a discipline helps us understand, it's what you then do/suggest to do with that understanding/knowledge that makes it a contribution/application

Its like if you were asked for a practical application of Genie and u say it helped us to understand language development and whether there was a sensitive period. K so what? Yh there was one.. so we should encourage talking and singing, when a baby points at something tell them what its called to aid their language development while it's still cruitial

We wouldnt know (lets pretend) how important is to talk and sing to kids if we didnt know about the critical period thanks to Genie. This is what makes it have 'practical application'

I feel as tho i cud be a teacher but still gna get a B :frown:

Edit: i rly wouldnt sugest using gender cos its hard to make a valid contribution point, it becomes superficial

sorry i meant the contribution to society the learning approach brings is 'understanding gender', both the psychodynamic and biological approach are titled 'understanding gender' for their contributions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending