The Student Room Group

What if Scotland keeps us in the EU.

We all know the SNP secretly wants English voters to take us out the EU whilst Scottish voters overwhelmingly vote remain, triggering another Scottish independence referendum.

I don't know how feasible it is but say England votes to leave but the votes from the Scots and Welsh keep us in. That will really **** with the SNP XD
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Would leaving not be a better basis for the SNP to demand a new vote on Scottish independence? Scotland voted to remain part of a country in the EU. If that's no longer the situation, they'd have a pretty solid case IMO.
I'll laugh.
Original post by KimKallstrom
Would leaving not be a better basis for the SNP to demand a new vote on Scottish independence? Scotland voted to remain part of a country in the EU. If that's no longer the situation, they'd have a pretty solid case IMO.

That's what I am saying. If Scotland votes In to such a degree it keeps the UK when the English vote in favour of leave in they will have killed their chance a rerun of another referendum for the Scotland question.

The SNP are campaign to stay in but they secretly want a no vote. Would just be funny if SNP types screwed themselves :tongue:

I wonder how many scots are cynically going to vote leave to trigger a another Scot referendum :beard:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Way too many assumptions to make a plausible and realistic conclusion, sorry.
What do people think? Remain or leave the EU?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If Scotland are the ones who keep us in the UK then I guess haggis will be my new favourite food :u:
Original post by Jawsomesauce35

Posted from TSR Mobile

Remain :tongue:
Well, based on SNP logic, England would then demand an independence referendum!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps to answer this question you should look at any one of the 1001 other threads that are for EXACTLY that question, rather than in a barely relevant thread?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Leave clearly.

Original post by george_c00per
Remain :tongue:

For what reasons?
I don't think Scotland has the population to do that.
Original post by BasicMistake
I don't think Scotland has the population to do that.

Of course it does

The leave majority in the rest of the country simply has to be less than the electorate in Scotland, and the majority whichever way most definitely will be

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
Of course it does

The leave majority in the rest of the country simply has to be less than the electorate in Scotland, and the majority whichever way most definitely will be

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess I am underestimating the proportion of Remain voters in Scotland. It's difficult to tell because even though Leave is trailing by quite a bit, there is a large undecided cohort which I don't particularly want to make assumptions about.
According to this England has 37,399,900 registered voters and Scotland has 3,896,900 as of Dec 2015 so it could very well decide things if there's a 50/50 split in the rest of the UK.

I've no idea about the mood in Wales and NI but I know they get a lot of EU funds there so it might sway them to Remain. I'd have thought the Nationalist voters in NI would be in favour of remaining as well.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/elections/electoralregistration/bulletins/electoralstatisticsforuk/2015#parliamentary-electors
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
We all know the SNP secretly wants English voters to take us out the EU whilst Scottish voters overwhelmingly vote remain, triggering another Scottish independence referendum.

I don't know how feasible it is but say England votes to leave but the votes from the Scots and Welsh keep us in. That will really **** with the SNP XD

If they keep us in we will accept that as we aren't whinge bags like half the scots

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XcitingStuart
Leave clearly.

For what reasons?

I trust 88% of world economists who think we should stay over Farage and his cronies.
they try to think that scotland is an independent entity. if a majority of uk citizens vote to leave/remain, that will happen. the end. scotland/wales/ni aren’t special
Reply 18
It would need to be damn close across the rest of the UK for the scottish vote to decide it considering we make up less than 10% of the UK's population. You also need to consider how the vote goes in both Wales and Northern Ireland as I'm pretty sure both are more pro-remain than England especially the latter which I'm pretty sure is the most pro-EU part of the UK though it is the smallest in population terms.

The pro-independence lobby in scotland (which is more than just the SNP) is somewhat torn over this issue as while a UK-wide leave vote but a remain vote in Scotland does raise constitutional questions, it doesn't create a good case for an independent Scotland as the SNP's reliance on the oil industry to bolster the economy has backfired now. It makes a referendum harder to win if you basically have a choice between independent Scotland inside EU or United Kingdom outside of the EU.

If the situation the OP described arose then yes, England would have ground to ask union-based questions though I feel love for the union is much stronger in England than Scotland so I don't feel it would have too much support. The government would also dismiss it because they got the result they wanted but I doubt it would do anything to heal the rifts within the Conservative party.

Regardless of all this speculation, I think that this referendum is going to decided by turnout more than anything else. Lots of people just don't care enough and that's why turnout at european elections is always bad in the UK.
Original post by george_c00per
I trust 88% of world economists who think we should stay over Farage and his cronies.

So you haven't really thought about it have you?

Quick Reply

Latest