The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Classical Greek

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Martins1
Yeah, electromagnetics and electrostatics can be a bit tricky (personally) and they are bound to come up. For me I can understand all the theory, I just can't get the marks when I put it on paper...

The eternal annoyance that is GCSE mark schemes :frown:

Think you mean Latin, but it was definitely just comprehension. Style points could be adapted to comprehension style answers - I put that Euryalus was compared to a flower, showing his beauty and elegance in death - but four points was really asking a lot.

Haha yes I do :wink: Thanks for pointing that one out. I used comprehension but quoted the Latin just in case.

Hmmm - I know the rest - they are given to me in my grammar booklet, just not teixos. By the way, gune (woman), neavias (young man), Zeus (Zeus), aner (man), pater (father) and naus (ship) are all irregular too.

Thanks -all of those are in my grammar booklet too except naus because I think it declines like polis (so polis was chosen as the example).
Original post by F0X
The eternal annoyance that is GCSE mark schemes :frown:

Haha yes I do :wink: Thanks for pointing that one out. I used comprehension but quoted the Latin just in case.

Thanks -all of those are in my grammar booklet too except naus because I think it declines like polis (so polis was chosen as the example).

Mark schemes are the bane of my life.
No problem :smile:
Yeah, kinda, its really odd - the tricky thing is that it can look like the word for new, neos.
Reply 142
Mark schemes are the bane of my life.
No problem :smile:
Yeah, kinda, its really odd - the tricky thing is that it can look like the word for new, neos.

I hate words in Greek that look so similar to others, especially all of those aorist passive verbs which use different stems from their normal ones - they all look way too similar to each other :s-smilie:
Original post by F0X
I hate words in Greek that look so similar to others, especially all of those aorist passive verbs which use different stems from their normal ones - they all look way too similar to each other :s-smilie:

My pet hate is asthenes, aspis and asphales....
Verbs are killers - future tense of lego i say is ero, aorist of aireo is ereo, eurov is aorist of eurisko, er is the aorist stem of erotao.... ughhhhhh
And the pasxo and peitho ones confuse me too.
Oh and leiphthen and lephten are the aorist passive of i leave and i take respectively...
Just look at these and see how confusing it is:
eromene (epsilon, rho, omicron, mu, epsilon, nu, eta)
eromen (epsilon, rho, omicron, mu, eta, nu)
eromen (eta (iota subscript), rho, omega, mu, epsion, nu)
euroimen (epsilon, upsilon, rho, omicron, iota, mu, epsilon, nu)
Yup... fun - P.s all of the above words are from different verbs...
Reply 144
My pet hate is asthenes, aspis and asphales....
Verbs are killers - future tense of lego i say is ero, aorist of aireo is ereo, eurov is aorist of eurisko, er is the aorist stem of erotao.... ughhhhhh
And the pasxo and peitho ones confuse me too.
Oh and leiphthen and lephten are the aorist passive of i leave and i take respectively...
Just look at these and see how confusing it is:
eromene (epsilon, rho, omicron, mu, epsilon, nu, eta)
eromen (epsilon, rho, omicron, mu, eta, nu)
eromen (eta (iota subscript), rho, omega, mu, epsion, nu)
euroimen (epsilon, upsilon, rho, omicron, iota, mu, epsilon, nu)
Yup... fun - P.s all of the above words are from different verbs...

Yeah I know... it always looks really weird to see Greek words written in English :biggrin:
The only ones which really are the same are the future forms of pasxo and peithomai - they're both peisomai
I have done no work for the sources on Tuesday. Literally not even spoken about it in class. What do you recommend i do? Read through them or research ancient Greece? I don't have any books about ancient Greece.
Oh and I didn't realize there was 2 vocab lists but my teacher gave me the one for paper 1 only so I have all the paper 2 words to learn by tomorrow:frown:
Original post by F0X
Yeah I know... it always looks really weird to see Greek words written in English :biggrin:
The only ones which really are the same are the future forms of pasxo and peithomai - they're both peisomai

THIS. So relatable - greek words in english. Also, do you guys often get asked to speak latin or greek? I always get asked to do that and I always have to say: "You don't speak latin/greek" or I say something really stupid like: "salve, laetus sum!"
Original post by Duncan.marsden11
I have done no work for the sources on Tuesday. Literally not even spoken about it in class. What do you recommend i do? Read through them or research ancient Greece? I don't have any books about ancient Greece.

We did a biweekly lesson in sources this year but half of them got canceled or replaced by language. I have a few things I can link you - to be honest I have three whole days to do it so I'm not even thinking about that yet. In general you can easily get 30/50 without any revision in sources, and with a couple hours of good revision, 40 would be easy. IN general you will probably get 45 after the tiniest bit of revision. I would advise you to look at the past papers and do some practices, marking them with the mark scheme and examiner's report.
This is a good site:
http://www.insearchofthegreeks.com/
By the way, topics to study for greek sources are as follows:
Greek house, marriage/weddings, slaves, women, parties/sympoisa, theatre, athletics, spartan government, spartan women, spartan education, religion/sacrifices/festivals/gods, athenian citizenship, democracy and jobs/duties. I would also recommend studying the following authors as they typically come up:
Xenophon, Herodotus, Hesiod, Aristophanes, Aristotle, Lysias, Plutarch, Hippocrates, Sophocles, Theogonis and Euripides - think about their potential bias/agenda and how you can speak about that in essays. In general think how to anaylse sources and in particular vases/paintings as they always come up - think what they are portraying, why, how and in particular whether they have bias and if their source is reliable!
Original post by Duncan.marsden11
Oh and I didn't realize there was 2 vocab lists but my teacher gave me the one for paper 1 only so I have all the paper 2 words to learn by tomorrow:frown:

Ouch, thats not nice - if you want to test yourself, i recommend this site:
http://www.etoncollege.com/GreekProject.aspx?nid=e19484e6-707c-44d4-a3d7-f8b93df8751f
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks
Reply 149
THIS. So relatable - greek words in english. Also, do you guys often get asked to speak latin or greek? I always get asked to do that and I always have to say: "You don't speak latin/greek" or I say something really stupid like: "salve, laetus sum!"

No, never :redface: I guess people just know that it's not a spoken language.

What's this sources thing you guys are talking about? I don't think I have to do it, whatever it is.
Original post by F0X
No, never :redface: I guess people just know that it's not a spoken language.

What's this sources thing you guys are talking about? I don't think I have to do it, whatever it is.

Either you do short course or you do full course, but do both literatures.
Because we were taught greek in 2 years, but shared greek with latin lessons (essentially two gcses in one subject spot), we didn't have the time to learn both literatures and so instead of verse, we do sources.
Reply 151
Either you do short course or you do full course, but do both literatures.
Because we were taught greek in 2 years, but shared greek with latin lessons (essentially two gcses in one subject spot), we didn't have the time to learn both literatures and so instead of verse, we do sources.

Oh right. We also shared Greek and Latin lessons, but we did two set text literature exams in each. What kinds of things do you have to do in the sources exam?
Original post by F0X
Oh right. We also shared Greek and Latin lessons, but we did two set text literature exams in each. What kinds of things do you have to do in the sources exam?

Pretty much they give us questions on sources - three of which are typically vase pictures and paintings, and 5 of which are often written sources. Then 2 or three sources at a time, they ask us questions on them. There are three sections:
The first section is questions and a 6 marker on the first two or three sources.
The second section is questions and a 6 marker on the next two or three sources.
The final section is a twelve marker on all the sources, inlcuding the two or three which haven't been examined already.
Reply 153
Pretty much they give us questions on sources - three of which are typically vase pictures and paintings, and 5 of which are often written sources. Then 2 or three sources at a time, they ask us questions on them. There are three sections:
The first section is questions and a 6 marker on the first two or three sources.
The second section is questions and a 6 marker on the next two or three sources.
The final section is a twelve marker on all the sources, inlcuding the two or three which haven't been examined already.

Oh OK. Glad I don't have to do that :smile:
Original post by F0X
Oh OK. Glad I don't have to do that :smile:

Yeah - to be honest we didn't have a choice. We aren't meant to be taught the full course anyway, but we are allowed to take lunchtime sessions in order to do full course, then the classics department apply for some students to take the full course. Our teacher, possibly against what is really allowed, taught us the full course in our lessons. Considering most of us had never studied greek before, and we learnt the whole of the Greek language course, all the syntax for latin, the latin literature (both verse and prose) and then the greek prose in this time, we didn't have the choice to do greek verse and only had the time to do sources.

Which is sad because literature is a lot more fun and also although its easy to get to a decent mark in sources, its hard to get an amazing mark, whereas in greek verse its hard to get to a decent mark, but easier than sources to go from a decent to an amazing mark.
Reply 155
Which is sad because literature is a lot more fun and also although its easy to get to a decent mark in sources, its hard to get an amazing mark, whereas in greek verse its hard to get to a decent mark, but easier than sources to go from a decent to an amazing mark.

Yeah, I agree. We started Greek in year 9 but didn't do much except the basics...
Anyway, good luck for the exam tomorrow :smile:
Good luck everyone!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did people find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was a decent paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
What did people get for the bit just before 'therefore the assembly decided..'- the part about the barber saying he knew nothing about the foreigner, but they didn't believe him?

Quick Reply

Latest