The Student Room Group

Could I get arrested/into major trouble for this?

I sent emails to an ex (anonymously) saying bad stuff to her and then emailed her sister and revealed secrets about her. She has reported harassment to the police and I believe she has mentioned my name.

Will I get into trouble? How can they prove it was me? If I hid my IP address, could they track me down?

I'm so stupid for doing this. Has anyone ever done some stupid like this and then had the police involved etc?

I feel worried now. I didn't think she would get the police involved.

What should I do now? I haven't told anyone about this yet..

Scroll to see replies

It really depends on what you've said, but revealing secrets isn't against the law - just being a bitter tw*t
Just dont do it again.... and hope ur ex isn't too concerned. Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
It's hardly harrassment if you didn't approach your ex in person and you sent the emails anonymously revealing a few secrets. That's a domestic issue, the police won't do anything. Your ex has just taken it personally like lots of girls who make a big deal out of everything. We all do silly things when we're angry - you have nothing to worry about.
Reply 4
Yes it's a very serious offence, pack your cuddly penguin and say good-bye to mummy and daddy because your going to the high MAX security prison and sleeping with the killers for exposing your ex for not going to the gym 5 times a week and calling her a pig.
Hahaha, this comment brightened up my night.

Original post by Rigby16
Yes it's a very serious offence, pack your cuddly penguin and say good-bye to mummy and daddy because your going to the high MAX security prison and sleeping with the killers for exposing your ex for not going to the gym 5 times a week and calling her a pig.
Reply 6
Original post by asif007
It's hardly harrassment if you didn't approach your ex in person and you sent the emails anonymously revealing a few secrets. That's a domestic issue, the police won't do anything. Your ex has just taken it personally like lots of girls who make a big deal out of everything. We all do silly things when we're angry - you have nothing to worry about.

Even if nothing has been done/said in person it can still definitely count as harassment, both in a legal and moral sense.

Not saying this case would or not; depends on duration, severity, whether she told him to stop etc. Just an fyi. Either way he's unlikely to get more than a caution I imagine.
Reply 7
I think it might be harassment
Who cares about harassment? I suggest you grow up.
Sounds like she made the right choice by dumping your crazy ass.
Flee to the high mountains of Nepal bro, it's your only hope
Original post by asif007
Strictly speaking it's online bullying, which is a criminal offence.
Goodbye mate. cya in prison.

Spoiler

Original post by Anonymous
I sent emails to an ex (anonymously) saying bad stuff to her and then emailed her sister and revealed secrets about her. She has reported harassment to the police and I believe she has mentioned my name.

Will I get into trouble? How can they prove it was me? If I hid my IP address, could they track me down?

I'm so stupid for doing this. Has anyone ever done some stupid like this and then had the police involved etc?

I feel worried now. I didn't think she would get the police involved.

What should I do now? I haven't told anyone about this yet..

How old are you?

Yes you can be charged with harassment.

Depending on how they view it then, tes you could be taken to court and get a criminal record. It all depends on what you have done.

They might just give you a warning and tell your parents.

She did the right thing by reporting you to the police as you are clearly guilty and your only regret is that you got caught rather than any distress you caused your victim.
Well she deserved it. I want to expose her to her new bf after what she put me through.

But I won't. No point.
Original post by 999tigger
How old are you?

Yes you can be charged with harassment.

Depending on how they view it then, tes you could be taken to court and get a criminal record. It all depends on what you have done.

They might just give you a warning and tell your parents.

She did the right thing by reporting you to the police as you are clearly guilty and your only regret is that you got caught rather than any distress you caused your victim.

Yeah you are right. But she deserved it.

Under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997:

"A person must not pursue a course of conduct

"(a) which amounts to harassment of another, and

"(b) which he knows or ought to know amounts to harassment of the other."[1]

Harassment also occurs when, on the grounds of race, disability, sex, sexual orientation, belief or religion, an employer - or their agent such as another employee or a manager - engages in unwanted conduct which has the purpose or effect of violating an individual's dignity or creating an interrogating, degrading, hostile offensive or humiliating environment for the employee in question. This is wide spectrum, and covers all types of harassment.

Such actions can be:

Physical conduct;

Verbal conduct; and

Non-verbal conduct.

In addition, while the conduct must be unwanted by the recipient, it does not necessarily have to be that the harasser has a motive or an intention to harass. So it is still harassment even if the harasser does not know there is harm caused by their actions.

I think you'll be fine. Unless you're stalking her or something.
Original post by metasysta
I think you'll be fine. Unless you're stalking her or something.

How do you work that one out? He has quite clearly harassed her.
Original post by Anonymous

Yeah you are right. But she deserved it.

Well depending on what you wrote, then yes they can arrest and charge you. If the police dont then she can make a claim for harassment , although if she did it then it would be civil and just £££. You cant go around doing that, its a particularly spineless thing to do and could get you into a lo of trouble.

If you do get a criminal rcord thats the type of thing that will cost you jobs or even be rejected from Uni for. Assuming you dont have a criminal record already.
Burn your house down and move to Belize because with the prison sentence you will receive there is no hope of you ever seeing the outside world ever again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending